Datafeed Questions
    Hello everyone just a few questions.

What exactly is the ProductID? Is it defined by the merchant, does ShareaSale define this?

If two merchants are selling the exact same product, will they have the same ProductID?

Thank you!

Hi Fender963, welcome to ABW!

The productid field in the datafeed is a unique identifier assigned by Shareasale to the product. It is unique across all products and all merchants at SAS, so if 3 merchants have the same product it will have 3 different productids.

To match the products on your own site, you should consider using the ISBN, UPC, or partNumber fields.

Good luck!

-Dale
    Dale LaFountain, CIO, <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/">Things From Another World</a> - More Comics. More Toys. More Stuff. More FUN!
    14% base comm / up to 21.5% w/perf incent / 90 return days / parasite free / HUGE datafeed / <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Affiliate-Information___168?qt=abw">[b]Join[/b]</a>

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFAW.com

The productid field in the datafeed is a unique identifier assigned by Shareasale to the product. It is unique across all products and all merchants at SAS, so if 3 merchants have the same product it will have 3 different productids.
    There are exceptions to that rule, on larger feeds, that field is set to a "1", on every product.
    I know ours is that way.

So you're correct look at UPC or part #'s. Just see which field has a 10 or 12 digit numeric field.

I believe that field is used in the make a page sub-routine and the widgets.
    Therefore, larger feeds I'm not sure where the break off point is in size you can't use those features.

Maybe someone from SAS can explain this better than myself.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

The ProductID field in an SAS datafeed does NOT provide a true "UniqueIdentifier," either for an individual merchant's datafeed, nor for all SAS datafeed data. This was an issue when I was creating an import/merge system.

Apparently some merchants are allowed to do a bulk-upload which circumvents the SAS system which otherwise fills that field with a unique product-ID value.

My apologies for the apparent mis-information. ProductID was explained to me as a unique identifier, and I hadn't seen any evidence to the contrary until now.

Thanks,

Dale
    Dale LaFountain, CIO, <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/">Things From Another World</a> - More Comics. More Toys. More Stuff. More FUN!
    14% base comm / up to 21.5% w/perf incent / 90 return days / parasite free / HUGE datafeed / <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Affiliate-Information___168?qt=abw">[b]Join[/b]</a>

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    The ProductID field in an SAS datafeed does NOT provide a true "UniqueIdentifier," either for an individual merchant's datafeed, nor for all SAS datafeed data. This was an issue when I was creating an import/merge system.

Apparently some merchants are allowed to do a bulk-upload which circumvents the SAS system which otherwise fills that field with a unique product-ID value.
    Hey, Mark, this post and one I found searching for "ProductID" leads to a question, which I think is relevant here: When a datafeed has only "0" or "1" in the field, is there a way to automate the import of it via FTP?

I ask because I've struggled with this and the Pets-Warehouse datafeed at SAS. It apparently is so large that it only has "1" as the ProductID for each product. (Something like 40,000+ products.)

I'm using a script Mobilebadboy gave to the group on the Programmers forum here at ABW to import the SAS datafeeds via FTP and create a MySQL table. Only problem is, with that ProductID field having "1" all the way through, it just imports the first product in the datafeed then quits with an error message something about duplicates. (I should have copied the error message.)

My PHP/MySQL skills/knowledge is very limited, but I saw something in that thread mentioned about about inserting a "count()" line in the script to overcome the problem. Don't know just what that means or how to do it.

Would you have any suggestions or ideas for the Old Guy here?? Thanks!
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Gary that's because the code needs to be modified to use another field as a unique identifier, we have two other fields to use in the feed.

Hope that helps
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Gary that's because the code needs to be modified to use another field as a unique identifier, we have two other fields to use in the feed.

Hope that helps
    Thanks, Bob. My PHP/MySQL ignorance was showing.

I just went back into the script in question, put "UPC" where "ProductID" was in the "PRIMARY KEY" field -- and it imported all 42,945 items into my table.

Great. Now I gotta actually get to work on that site. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread