1)Using frames
    When IE6 was launched they included a special privacy feature called p3p (personal privacy policy, i think). The idea of the p3p was to force IE6 to reject 3rd party cookies (qksrv for example). To overcome this the networks had to become p3p compliant and that is why cookies are still set in IE6.

If you use frames you are not p3p compliant and your 3rd party cookies will not be set if the user has IE6 and you will lose a lot of sales. More than 50% of my audience use IE6 but I doubt that 50% of them have MMM etc..

2)IFRAME
    Someone suggested using an IFRAME meta tag. Firstly an IFRAME is not a meta tag, it is a special type of FRAMES that is used between the <BODY></BODY> tags and is only available to IE users, it does not work with netscape. An IFRAME allows webmasters to load a webpage into another webpage.

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.yahoo.com" WIDTH="600" HEIGHT="200"></IFRAME>

If you try and load a parasite website into the IFRAME and restrict it then that parasite may be resticted on your site but that is not what counts. Software like MMM pops up on the merchant website because it recognizes the URL in the address bar. If you try and load these sites into an IFRAME all that you will achive is giving them free publicity and slowing down your page load time.

3)List of restricted URL's
    The kind that the owner of this forum is proposing. If I understand correctly this list will be loaded onto the users machine on a daily basis. This is going to be a huge list many megabytes in size and anyone that has a large datafeed will understand how long it takes to download them. This will be unacceptable to the software providers. I may be wrong about the list being downloaded onto the users computer. If the list resides on a server it will still be huge and again will slow down both the software and the surfing experience especially to those still on a dial-up. This will also be unacceptable to the software providers.

4).htaccess
    You can only really block incoming IP numbers to your site and even if this does prevent the software from calling home from your website it will be useless when the consumer arrives at the merchant site. As I mentioned earlier the software will recognize the merchants URL in the address bar and then present the user with a coupon popup which once clicked will overwrite your cookie.

The real solution is for topmoxie and others to fix their software but don't hold your breath. I am of the opinion that we should encourage users to get rid of these software apps from their computers. I think that the next version of kazaa will be the biggest threat to our income and make everything else seem insignificant because it will have the ability to search for web pages.

More about kazaa 2.0 here: http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=2306044802

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you use frames you are not p3p compliant and your 3rd party cookies will not be set if the user has IE6 and you will lose a lot of sales. More than 50% of my audience use IE6 but I doubt that 50% of them have MMM etc..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over 50% of my users also use IE6 - It seems they were taking way way more than I ever suspected based on your statements and my own estimates were considered very high by most.

I've really pissed off my users by not having all those popups to:

My sales, bookmarks and return customers are at all time new lows like I've never had before.

ABW Ambassador
    Those methods are all very nice, too nice in fact. At some point someone needs to come up with something that operates on the level of the parasites.

A drive-by ActiveX component (signed)

-- Less is more --

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread