Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Effective Marketing thru' Articles
    If you are a newbie like me in affiliate marketing, then you most likely don't have funds to do PPC advertising for any affiliate program. One thing is true without clicks your website is dead in the water.

I started my first blog on the 12th of August and managed made $250 in that week. I didn't even spend a dime advertising. The most important thing as a newbie is to try and leverage your time on promoting your blog without necessarily using advertising for traffic. PPC and other internet methods are expensive if you don't know what you are doing.

And trust me there is a lot to learn before you decide to spend that dollar like writing a good add copy, Tweaking to increase the CTR (Click through Rates),optimizing your ad bids to maximize impressions without going overboard the most effective types of online ads (sponsored, adwords, banners,etc

I looked for a software on click bank that i could promote and settled on pc 2007 elite edition. This had the highest conversion ratios and less return rates. I needed an effective way that i could use to market for free on the internet for my first blog on satellite tv on pc softwares.

So i went and wrote about 20 articles on several PC satellite tv software reviews subjects related to satellite TV on computer softwares. I built up my website in a day and posted the articles on several ezines, then waited. Sure enough i had a sale on the first day, 2 on the second, 5 on the third and it kept getting better. Right now im in a frenzy of writing them articles. I never actually thought it possible that i could earn any money online.

Below i have included some of the article submission ezines that i have found most effective and that drove good traffic to my blog.

ezinearticles.com
    goarticles.com
    ideamarketers.com
    articlesbase.com
    searchwarp.com
    amazines.com
    buzzle.com
    afroarticles.com
    articlesdashboard.com
    articlegarden.com
    articlealley.com
    article99.com

There are thousands others that you can post your software reviews articles to, for example. The best method i have found is to pick a product to promote from click bank, write several short articles based on my reviews of the product and then post these in the above ezines. The best thing in this method is that you hardly spend a cent on advertising.

Happy banking.

Did you do any other homework before selecting that program, such as evaluating keyword popularity for satellite tv software programs, or did you just get lucky?

Glad to hear you've found a subject that's converting nicely for you!

I'm not sure how wise it was to post the actual content you're marketing though - unless you're thrilled to be getting a bunch of new competition from other readers on this forum who are looking for new ideas. Just a thought...

bob73- Congrats! Sounds like great (and fast!) success. I apologize in advance if these are incredibly stupid question... I've never done article marketing...

1. What's the best way to refer people to your site in an article? Do you talk about the site in the body of your article? Or include a link in your "about author" section?

2. How can you track the traffic coming to your site because of the article? i.e. if you just had a link to xyz.com, would you be able to know how much traffic was coming b/c of the article (and, I guess, each article submission ezine)?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the links.

I'm developing an affiliate website that will sell books. What are the most frequented places that have open submission policies for book reviews?

Great info Bob! Thanks for sharing.

Jacque

Rick is probably right about being specific about your niche. Evidently there are lots of sharks out there. I guess it's better to be more general in those terms.

The advise you gave was really helpful, even though my niche is completely different from yours. As a "newbie" I really appreciated your input.

Congrats on your sales!

Jacque

I've submitted a couple of articles to article directories with very little response, but it sounds like I just need to change my tact a bit. Thanks for the information. And never fear: I have no desire to write satellite tv software product reviews. Definitely not on my list! ;-)

Article Marketing Software
    I realize that you can't submit identical articles to multiple article submission sites, but is anyone aware of article submission leveraging software that allows you to submit articles in a more streamlined process than just manually doing each one?

I did a serch in abw before I submitted this question, but maybe I didn't ask the right way. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JohninIndy
    I realize that you can't submit identical articles to multiple article submission sites, but is anyone aware of article submission leveraging software that allows you to submit articles in a more streamlined process than just manually doing each one?

I did a serch in abw before I submitted this question, but maybe I didn't ask the right way. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi John - you from Indianapolis? If so please send me a msg sometime (affiliatewisdom at yahoo dot com) [replace "at" with @] - I'd love to meet another Hoosier into affiliate marketing.

To answer your question - I recently purchased a new book at Barnes and Noble about affiliate marketing an the author mentioned a program by a guy named Jason Potash - "Article Announcer" software.

You might google that and check into. I can't recommend it as I've never even explored it - but the book's author is a reliable source for affiliate info.

As to some other older questions in this thread -

So far my article marketing experience has been a headache. I've had 3 quality articles rejected by ezine articles for one reason or another. I could've spent better time working on other projects.

Before you use any article marketing website I urge you to read their editorial guidelines FIRST and then read some articles by their "expert" authors to get a feel for what they consider qualified. Also evaluate your competitive keywords as well against current published articles by doing a search on their site.

Note: some article marketing sites will let you post a direct affiliate link whereas many others will not but you can post a link to a blog or a landing page you design with your affiliate links on them.

GoColts, Do you know why the articles were rejected? The only reason I ask is that I heard via the grapevine that they'd put on a whole lot of new editors not too long ago, and articles were being rejected for really odd reasons. I noticed that just before Christmas it was harder to get an article through their editors and I had some rejected for things that simply weren't an issue before that.

If you have to just make a few small changes and submit them again.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaxi
    GoColts, Do you know why the articles were rejected? The only reason I ask is that I heard via the grapevine that they'd put on a whole lot of new editors not too long ago, and articles were being rejected for really odd reasons. I noticed that just before Christmas it was harder to get an article through their editors and I had some rejected for things that simply weren't an issue before that.

If you have to just make a few small changes and submit them again.
    I believe what you say about the editors...

Well one time it was because I bolded sub-headings (not sure what else I needed to do to make it appear as a sub-heading using their text editor).

Another time it was because of repeating keyword phrase too much.

Then there was something wrong with one of my titles that had the person of topic's name in the title - apparantly a no-no.

The crazy thing is... it doesn't take one person but about 5 minutes to find some incredibly ridiculous (and obvious) affiliate articles that were not well written and made only to promote even more ridiculous Adsense ads websites with virtually no unique content.

There is one author on there who's been doing this for at least a couple of years with a hundred or more articles.

Obviously they don't bother to examine his articles as closely now - as he is now labeled an "expert" author.

Lucky for him - I assume he's making decent money from Adsense as he has rinsed and repeated his technique many times over.

I was so mad about that that I just said forget article marketing all together right now. I should try the other sites but have been busy making money instead of wasting time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    I believe what you say about the editors...

Well one time it was because I bolded sub-headings (not sure what else I needed to do to make it appear as a sub-heading using their text editor).

Another time it was because of repeating keyword phrase too much.

Then there was something wrong with one of my titles that had the person of topic's name in the title - apparantly a no-no.

The crazy thing is... it doesn't take one person but about 5 minutes to find some incredibly ridiculous (and obvious) affiliate articles that were not well written and made only to promote even more ridiculous Adsense ads websites with virtually no unique content.

There is one author on there who's been doing this for at least a couple of years with a hundred or more articles.

Obviously they don't bother to examine his articles as closely now - as he is now labeled an "expert" author.

Lucky for him - I assume he's making decent money from Adsense as he has rinsed and repeated his technique many times over.

I was so mad about that that I just said forget article marketing all together right now. I should try the other sites but have been busy making money instead of wasting time.
    I got caught with one for 'keyword abuse' just before Christmas myself. That was was an easy fix, and I just tweaked the wording a little bit to get around it. It went through the next time.

You got caught for bolding subheadings? That's odd. I've never had that happen. The only time I ever do sub headings is for 'tips' articles. You know ones like "3 Ways to Dry Your Hair Without Using a Hairdryer", that kind of thing. Maybe they look the other way if there are numbers before the subheadings.

I've noticed using product names (and I suppose it's the same for people's names) reduces your chance of getting your article accepted. Every time I've tried that I've been rejected.

The advice I got from another forum I used to go to was to keep your articles at Ezine pretty general, because it increases your chances of the article being accepted. It seems to work. Mostly. Except I've been having more troubles recently, as I described.

The funny part is, I have two accounts. The older one, which I opened before the new editors came on, is on Platinum Status (24-48 hour turn around for articles accepted) and I got Platinum with no troubles. The one stated about the same time as the new editors started up is on Basic Plus. The way it's going it'll never get off Basic Plus.

Oh, you get Expert status when your first article is approved.

I've only been doing this just under 6 months, and have around 60 articles across the two accounts at EzineArticles, by the way, just so that you know where I'm coming from.

I got caught with one for 'keyword abuse' just before Christmas myself. That was was an easy fix, and I just tweaked the wording a little bit to get around it. It went through the next time.

You got caught for bolding subheadings? That's odd. I've never had that happen. The only time I ever do sub headings is for 'tips' articles. You know ones like "3 Ways to Dry Your Hair Without Using a Hairdryer", that kind of thing. Maybe they look the other way if there are numbers before the subheadings.

I've noticed using product names (and I suppose it's the same for people's names) reduces your chance of getting your article accepted. Every time I've tried that I've been rejected.

The advice I got from another forum I used to go to was to keep your articles at Ezine pretty general, because it increases your chances of the article being accepted. It seems to work. Mostly. Except I've been having more troubles recently, as I described.

The funny part is, I have two accounts. The older one, which I opened before the new editors came on, is on Platinum Status (24-48 hour turn around for articles accepted) and I got Platinum with no troubles. The one stated about the same time as the new editors started up is on Basic Plus. The way it's going it'll never get off Basic Plus.

Oh, you get Expert status when your first article is approved.

I've only been doing this just under 6 months, and have around 60 articles across the two accounts at EzineArticles, by the way, just so that you know where I'm coming from.
    You know...there is probably an article on there about 3 ways to dry your hair too. LOL

Worse - they likely got approved.

Anywho..thanks for the valuable info.

60 articles is quite an accomplishment! Would you care to share the impact the articles have had on generating affiliate commissions?

I've been reading another book recently (eCode) which basically says it's all about "building the list" and then being able to offer your subscribers affiliate products over and over again. Do you have an opt-in page that you direct your audiences to - or just websites?

To be honest, I wish I was doing better than I am. I'm using entirely free methods and have been flailing around quite a bit. I don't have the money to go any other way. I don't even have enough spare cash to set up a website let alone start a mailing list at the moment.

Those 60 articles point back to a variety of different products. All my landing pages head to either Squidoo, Blogger or Hubpages. My problem has been (I think, anyway) not understanding my audience. I will fully admit that I'm struggling, and only one of the niches I've tested out gets any real sales -- I'm talking 1-2 sales a week. This is entirely my fault for not researching enough. It just hasn't 'clicked' properly yet. I'll get there, I just need some work. I'd love to find a niche and click with it so I could start a mailing list (it's a small dream but a good one )

The thing is, if you have a good article and a good landing page that gives the consumer what they want they'll buy. The reason I say it's my landing pages rather than the articles is that overall I get a 20-25% click through rate to the landing page. The volume of click throughs depends on the product.

Here's the stats to one of my accounts:
    Account Article Statistics
    Page Views: 2,796
    Published: 40
    URL Clicks: 724
    Live Articles: 29

There's a lot of other things that can affect it as well: You need good keywords to rank on the search engines, etc etc etc

To be honest, I wish I was doing better than I am. I'm using entirely free methods and have been flailing around quite a bit. I don't have the money to go any other way. I don't even have enough spare cash to set up a website let alone start a mailing list at the moment.

Those 60 articles point back to a variety of different products. All my landing pages head to either Squidoo, Blogger or Hubpages. My problem has been (I think, anyway) not understanding my audience. I will fully admit that I'm struggling, and only one of the niches I've tested out gets any real sales -- I'm talking 1-2 sales a week. This is entirely my fault for not researching enough. It just hasn't 'clicked' properly yet. I'll get there, I just need some work. I'd love to find a niche and click with it so I could start a mailing list (it's a small dream but a good one )

The thing is, if you have a good article and a good landing page that gives the consumer what they want they'll buy. The reason I say it's my landing pages rather than the articles is that overall I get a 20-25% click through rate to the landing page. The volume of click throughs depends on the product.

Here's the stats to one of my accounts:
    Account Article Statistics
    Page Views: 2,796
    Published: 40
    URL Clicks: 724
    Live Articles: 29

There's a lot of other things that can affect it as well: You need good keywords to rank on the search engines, etc etc etc
    You have great Spirit, Persistence, and obviously Patience which means your a Natural born Internet Marketer!

That is an awesome Click Thru rate!

Don't know if you use wordpress or not but posts on those blogs get picked up quicker I think than blogger and rank higher (from MY experience).

I checked out this guy's blog before when researching article "bum" marketing - he's got some really cool thoughts on there:

http://www.affiliatemarketingdiary.com/

I just had a quick look, because I'm doing some research on a market right now. I *had* to laugh, the second post down is about a product very familiar to me. It must be one of the few eBooks I've picked up that has sensible suggestions in it rather than fly by night ones. I'm testing out the method right now to see if it works.

I've heard a lot about Wordpress. and I'm going to give it a shot. It's on my master list, along with a few other things to try.

Thank you for the compliment, I very much appreciate it.

I just had a quick look, because I'm doing some research on a market right now. I *had* to laugh, the second post down is about a product very familiar to me. It must be one of the few eBooks I've picked up that has sensible suggestions in it rather than fly by night ones. I'm testing out the method right now to see if it works.

I've heard a lot about Wordpress. and I'm going to give it a shot. It's on my master list, along with a few other things to try.

Thank you for the compliment, I very much appreciate it.
    That's too funny. Well yes let me know if they work out at all. The book did look interesting but I also noticed it was a clickbank product - haven't bought anything off there yet or made any sales for that matter either promoting products from there.

So far my small successess have been mainly from promoting a niche within ebay. I was doing better before they started this new guest registration feature as I was able to get an average of 1-2 sign ups per 100 clicks. Now that they are paying $25 per new registrant - that can add up fairly quickly if you can find a good niche and try to get it going on it's own two feet.

However since they instituted this new feature - I've had a drastic drop in new registrants and issues with tracking, etc. Driving me crazy really.

About Wordpress - just make sure your posts point to your other free pages that promote affiliate links otherwise your blog will likely get deleted (mine has before). Wordpress doesn't care about affiliate links if you host the blog on your own domain - just not on theirs.

Here's a funny story - I copy and pasted a bunch of free articles from ezine onto one of my current Wordpress blogs and somehow managed to get a google pagerank 4. Bet you know what I do with that PR juice sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    That's too funny. Well yes let me know if they work out at all. The book did look interesting but I also noticed it was a clickbank product - haven't bought anything off there yet or made any sales for that matter either promoting products from there.

So far my small successess have been mainly from promoting a niche within ebay. I was doing better before they started this new guest registration feature as I was able to get an average of 1-2 sign ups per 100 clicks. Now that they are paying $25 per new registrant - that can add up fairly quickly if you can find a good niche and try to get it going on it's own two feet.

However since they instituted this new feature - I've had a drastic drop in new registrants and issues with tracking, etc. Driving me crazy really.

About Wordpress - just make sure your posts point to your other free pages that promote affiliate links otherwise your blog will likely get deleted (mine has before). Wordpress doesn't care about affiliate links if you host the blog on your own domain - just not on theirs.

Here's a funny story - I copy and pasted a bunch of free articles from ezine onto one of my current Wordpress blogs and somehow managed to get a google pagerank 4. Bet you know what I do with that PR juice sitting there.
    I've been wondering about eBay because I know of other people using it for niche marketing as well. I do have an affiliate code for them, but I'm only using it on HubPages at the moment (along with my Amazon affiliate code).

It's interesting what you have to say about Wordpress. So, in effect, you'd be using the blog in a similar way to an article at EzineArticles, for example. The only difference is that you'd be able to spread links throughout the article instead of just limiting them to the author box at the end?

That is, they'd be going to a landing page like (for me anyway) Squidoo or HubPages (or later when I have the money, a site with an opt-in for a mailing list). If you were to use both the EzineArticles and Wordpress combined that might really up your Squidoo Page swarch engine ranking. ::thinks of possibilities::

I've been wondering about eBay because I know of other people using it for niche marketing as well. I do have an affiliate code for them, but I'm only using it on HubPages at the moment (along with my Amazon affiliate code).

It's interesting what you have to say about Wordpress. So, in effect, you'd be using the blog in a similar way to an article at EzineArticles, for example. The only difference is that you'd be able to spread links throughout the article instead of just limiting them to the author box at the end?

That is, they'd be going to a landing page like (for me anyway) Squidoo or HubPages (or later when I have the money, a site with an opt-in for a mailing list). If you were to use both the EzineArticles and Wordpress combined that might really up your Squidoo Page swarch engine ranking. ::thinks of possibilities::
    eggzactly!

Wow - I just signed up tonight for 1and1 hosting tonight - man am I IMPRESSED to say the least. I purchased 3 domain names at the business level for $14.99 with hosting @ $5 per month for 3 months and then $10 a month thereafter for 3 domain names!

But here is the BANG - in your control panel you get 5 blogs (Wordpress blogs) included - ready to go, all you have to do is pic your design and start typing and YES you can put affiliate links directly on their since it's our domain. Woohoo! I'm excited.

They have a lot more stuff I haven't even had time to play with like a Mailing List Service, etc...

As far as the opt-in, I don't know how ethical this may be but consider this:

Sign up for 10 free gmail email accounts - write a ecourse on how to dry your hair 3 different ways. On your page promote the ecourse by advertising sign up by sending a blank email to free gmail account #1. Have your first ecourse lesson wrote up and put that on the auto-response under settings in your gmail account.

Still with me?

When that first auto-response is sent out it will instruct them at the bottom of the lesson to get their next lesson by sending a blank email to: your 2 free gmail account. Rinse and repeat and stuff your emails with whatever your promoting (except be weary of including a clickbank id as email filters have been trained to detect such and put into junk folders).

Last but not least - on your 10th email - you can start a whole new series with another ecourse or what have you.

Or save yourself all that headache and sign up with aweber.com - about $20 a month. Just make sure you get at least one sale to cover the fee and you aren't losing anything. Plus with aweber you can do extensive tracking and other great things you wouldn't be able to do with gmail.

is it important to ping your articles once they are written and submitted or is pinging a waste of time??

hey wait bob, did you submit the same articles to different article places??

Wordpress automatically pings after each post.

Yes it's vitally important and if not using wordpress then I suggest pinging with pingomatic

On the subject of WP pinging: I was told all WP versions starting with 2.1 now ping "future dated posts" properly, i.e., when they become public on your site. In the past, WP would ping all posts you put up, even those you scheduled to appear publicly at a later date, all at the same time. Now, supposedly, WP 2.1+ only pings when the post shows up.

BUT -- I've since "Googled" around and looked throughout the WP.org support forum -- and there's no clear consensus as to whether this issue has been resolved.

Plus, I have been unable to find out whether or not this supposed "fix" in 2.1+ includes fixing it so editing posts does not ping. Obviously, if you're rewriting or editing a post several times, it becomes a spam issue if your WP install pings with each saved edit.

I said all this to suggest a WP plugin I discovered just a couple of days ago which could be extremely useful for WP pinging -- it's called "Ultimate Plugins Smart Update Pinger," and it is different than the older plugin called smartupdate pinger. I don't have the URL for this plugin handy, but you can find it in the WP plugin repository or via Google.

I've been using it and it gives you nice control over the pinging. Just thought some others might want to try it out.
    Generate more fake news.

thanks gocolts, just the information I was looking for, but how frequently should I ping my articles??? Wont it be considerd spamming if I do them all at once......

Oh and a side note I am still crying about the colts lost this year
    Peyton will get them next year!!!
    later

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast