More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Garden Pics - Post Yours Too!
    The flowers consist of petunias, rudbeckia, flowering tobacco, morning glory, and garden phlox. The garden consists of hot peppers, sweetcorn, pole beans, and tomatoes.

Attached Images Attached Images
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Beautiful flowers! Looks like you have a nice garden.

Your pics inspired me to go and take some pics of my market garden.

The first pic is... beets with the garden cart amongst them, glads that are pretty well picked out, and tomatoes that are just starting to ripen.

The next shows kohlrabi (purple and green), then tomatoes (new girl). Glads, beets, onions and shallots are beyond the tomatoes. The Mississippi river is in the background.

Nice garden and what a beautiful place to live! The upper Mississipi is much like the upper St. Croix River - a place I take the kids camping and fishing each year. Just from looking at the pictures I would bet that there are some nice smallmouth bass and channel catfish lurking around those rocks I see along the river.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It's a pleasant place to garden with the sound of water rushing over rocks, the occasional eagle flying overhead, and sounds of other wildlife in the nearby trees.

Yes, there are small mouth in the river, walleyes and northerns too. I haven't seen a channel cat but a neighbor reported catching a few last year. Mostly they aren't this far north.

NiftyGaloot, when you say you have a "market garden" do you mean you sell your produce on stands?

Also, does the river ever overflow it's banks by you?

Yes, I sell at a farmers market twice a week. Will be busy today picking for tomorrow's market.

Some springs the river overflows the banks. Has gotten into the garden during the summer only once in the 80+ years my family has had the farm.

My stand at last Saturday's market:

More pics from the market

Are you getting ripe tomatoes? I'll probably have my first picking with enough for market today.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyGaloot
    Are you getting ripe tomatoes? I'll probably have my first picking with enough for market today.
    We have had ripe tomatoes for about 3 weeks now, but I cheated a little. I built a greenhouse/cold frame that consists of 2" of insulating foam at grade, covered by a 1 1/2 ft mound of clay soil with compost in the planting area and a frame that is covered with plastic until about the first of June. In the summer I only leave the plastic on the ends which serves as a nice windbreak. I keep a heater in at night to prevent frost as well in early May. Had tomatoes, melons, and pumpkins growing in the first week of May - not something you do around here normally. The clay helps retain moisture. The mounded soil, covered with plastic collects heat nicely, even in some chilly early May days.

The structure consists of 4x4's buried in the ground with 2x4's attached on to form the frame. Also built in a door - a must in order to prop open on hot days. Then cover with plastic.

Here's 3 of mine.

The one with the chair on the lawn is out of the door about 3 feet to the right of my computer. The one with the sheds is at the bottom of the garden, you can see the swing hanging from the old walnut tree, and the last one is the front entrance to the house, it changes every few months or so as I move containers in or out as flowers come and go.

yr garden is so beatiful ,i like it.i think u must spend much time in yr garden!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread