ABW Ambassador
    Here at my day job, the copier went on the fritz. One repairman held up a tube and remarked to the other "That's $1500 right there".

The tube appears to be 4" diameter, 18" long aluminum. There's some toner on it, but it can't be that expensive to make it.

Someone's making a huge profit.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Ah, that's a 'silver widget': they are quite expensive. Had you only needed a blue or red widget, it would have cost much less.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

ABW Ambassador
    man...you got that right...our copier goes crazy all the time & the repair guys always come out and "fix" it, but it inevitably breaks again soon after they leave...

Supras | Celicas

Just be glad it was not YOUR copier for YOUR own business. Ouch! $1500???

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Ah, that's a 'silver widget': they are quite expensive. Had you only needed a blue or red widget, it would have cost much less.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celicaphile:
    man...you got that right...our copier goes crazy all the time & the repair guys always come out and "fix" it, but it inevitably breaks again soon after they leave...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're good for 6 months between repairs, but when it rains, it pours.

The part I don't get: Aluminum tubing with a couple of guides machined into it=$1500? I need to buy a CNC machiner and a truckload of 4" diameter aluminum tubing. I can then spend all my time making content sites and building communities with no regard to revenue.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Office copiers carry a 50% markup on complete units. The accessories and parts are marked up 200% and this forces renewable service contracts. Very high margin business when you add in toner and paper sales. Sounds like the silver widget part costing 1500.00 is the new improved model. This one secretly detects anyone trying to copy their buttocks as a valentine gift. The part actually costs 35.00, but the shutting down the copy function is priceless as it keeps lawyers at bay.

Normally too frequent copier service calls are traced to horney office gals sabotaging the machine to scope out the repairman. Make sure the copier company assigns your office the ugly fat guy who passes gas everytime he bends over the machine to find the problem. This usually cuts service calls by 80%.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! Where's the love and show me the money?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Sounds like the silver widget part costing 1500.00 is the new improved model... The part actually costs 35.00...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought.

Even then, that's a huge markup.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread