Question CJ Question - Commission Stop
    Question for you CJ Guru's.

I've got a campaign running on CJ that was doing quite nicely. Then all of the sudden commissions stopped. The transaction reports show lots of click since the stopage (over 1K) but not a single conversion.

There's not messages from CJ and I've got a question submitted, but no reply yet.

Any ideas?

ABW Ambassador
    Who is the advertiser?

I had this exact same thing happen to me in June with Wireless Emporium. Sales were clicking along for about 3 weeks in a row. Then whammo, it all stopped.

I emailed them about it and they claimed everything looked fine. Switched over to Amazon for the same product the following week and have been selling a few a day ever since - yes, ever since. Some days only one, but some days 10.

I think there's something fishy going on there.

I've had this happen a number of times, with a number of different merchants (large and small), over the past 11 years. It almost always turns out that someone working for the merchant has accidentally disabled the conversion-tracking code. (I've experienced tracking problems on every system I've used, but of course I don't work with CJ or LS any longer.)

My experience is that if it happens once, it almost certainly WILL happen again. Often, this is because there are multiple people who access the site's code, and one is not aware of the purpose, importance, or existence of the affiliate-tracking code. When someone "breaks" the code once, staff are alerted to the issue, but then someone new is hired and sometime later it happens again.

This event is a HUGE test of the integrity of the merchant: if they acknowledge the problem, fix it, and manually review transactions to allocate commissions properly, then my confidence increases. If they admit the problem and fix it without making any adjustment for affiliates who've lost commissions, the relationship is probably over. If they don't reply within a reasonable period, or deny any problem despite clear evidence, then the relationship is definitely over.

My experience with merchants who don't reply quickly to inquiries about tracking is pretty consistent: if I don't get a response within 48 hours, then the merchant has almost certainly terminated the affiliate program without notice.

Of course, we can't over-react: if I'm driving an average of 1 transaction per day to a merchant, I'm not going to worry until I see 5 to 7 days without transactions. Even if I'm driving an average of 10 transactions per day to a merchant, I would probably wait 48 hours.

And we have to use common sense: if sales are consistent during November and up to December 15, and then dead-stop, check the merchant's site: perhaps they will no longer guarantee delivery by Christmas, or they're run out of stock on products you've linked. While this might be a reason to replace the links, it's not a tracking issue. Likewise, zero sales from this Friday through Monday probably doesn't reflect a tracking problem, but a "holiday effect" (Labor Day Weekend in the US) and not a tracking problem.

Finally, I'm quite confident that many merchants have "transient" tracking problems -- for example, someone might "break" the tracking code at 9am, and the affiliate manager notices the problem and fixes it at noon -- and that most of these events are never acknowledged by the merchant. Unless an affiliate places a test order during this time period, it's unlikely that we'd ever realize what happened.

I had a merchant yesterday claim that CJ doesn't automatically notify them when an email is sent to them (which was their excuse for not replying after about 4 days).

Is that true?

ABW Ambassador
    It is the merchant's responsibility to check their CJ internal mail. Same for affiliates.

Smile Thanks for Excellent Responses
    Thanks Everyone, particularly Mark, for Excellent info.

After no real response from CJ, I did hear back from the Merchant. They claimed the pixel tracking was "mis-firing" and in a second email (after I asked) informed me that it was fixed.

They've indicated they will determine what they owe me. This will be the real test b/c I'm not sure how they will calculate that if the tracking was gone. Hopefully they will look at the historic conversion rate :-)

Thanks again.

ABW Ambassador
    affinator, what a selfish person you are. You come here wanting the benefit of the experience of others yet you don't give a damn that other affiliates of that merchant have been shorted so they too have the opportunity to get paid. The world would be a better place without those like you.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    affinator, what a selfish person you are. You come here wanting the benefit of the experience of others yet you don't give a damn that other affiliates of that merchant have been shorted so they too have the opportunity to get paid. The world would be a better place without those like you.
    Snowman is dead on - you really do need to post the identity of this merchant.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Whoa, Snowman - lighten up a little:

"The world would be a better place without those like you"?

Seems a bit over the top for a question about Affiliate marketing. And if you knew me in person, I guarantee you be glad to count me as a friend and someone you could depend on in a tough situation.

First of all, I came back, quickly read the posts (primarily Marks info) and said thank you. I'm sorry I didn't engage each and every response.

Second, anyone who's running a campaign with the merchant would immediately know there was problem.

Third, in case you missed it, the title says "newbie" - so I'm uncertain as to what protocal is:

- Are we allowed to post Merchants?
    - Would that be a violation of the Merchants policy?
    - Would it be un-ethical to bash a Merchant in a open forum?
    - Does make business sense to tell other marketers about a currently running campaign?

That being said, I do not wish to be thought of as someone unwilling to contribute.

The advertiser is TrustedID.

ABW Ambassador
    anyone who's running a campaign with the merchant would immediately know there was problem.
    Not necessarily and most people who participate here don't do PPC exclusively.
    Are we allowed to post Merchants?
    Are you serious? Surely you've read other posts, or at a minimum, subject lines.
    Would that be a violation of the Merchants policy?
    To ask if there is a problem on a public forum? That one seems pretty unbelievable as well.
    Would it be un-ethical to bash a Merchant in a open forum?
    What is bashing about your post? I don't see anything.
    Does make business sense to tell other marketers about a currently running campaign?
    This isn't about making business sense. It's about wanting feedback, using that feedback for your benefit but not sharing which is the cornerstone of a forum like this.

Thank you for identifying the advertiser. Now when anyone performs a search on TrustedID, they'll find this discussion.

And yes, it's likely at some point that the same thing will happen again with this advertiser.

Whoa, let's not over-react and be nasty to somone with honest questions.

Although I rarely hesitate to "name names," I still understand that others aren't comfortable doing so in public forums, especially when they're not certain where a problem may lie, nor who might be responsible.

This is especially true if a merchant or affiliate-network contract includes confidentiality provisions; it's also true if an affiliate wishes to preserve profitable relationships despite "hiccups."

I absolutely agree that certain violations deserve publicity, but here I lack the context to assume that this is a despicable problem: afinator reported 1,000 clicks without sales, which is a huge worry if historical conversion rates were 10%, but not much worry if historical conversions have been well below 1%. Likewise, afinator mentioned that he'd not received a reply from the merchant, but no time frame was included (an hour? a day? a week?).

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Mark, a significant problem was admitted by the merchant to affinator, a problem that almost unquestionably affects other affiliates - other affiliates who may never know about the problem if the merchant is not named here. I feel that it was absolutely necessary, once the issue was rasied, once the problem was admitted, to name the merchant, unless the merchant specifically stated the it would inform all of its affiliates of the problem.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread