Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I found this posted on a board elsewhere on the net.

What do you all make of it. Is it anything that we as affiliates need to be concerned about?

"This is the time of year most people purchase Tax software, just thought I would pass this along. TurboTax 2002 will be using a copy protection mechanism called "C-Dilla". This protection scheme requires an activation that locks it to the computer you first install it on. This means you cannot uninstall the software and re-install it onto a different computer. This also means that people who re-install Windows or upgrade their computer may find themselves unable to run the software they purchased. In addition, the C-Dilla scheme remains installed and resident in active memory on your computer even after you uninstall TurboTax, taking up around 1MB of memory. People will have their own suspicions of what the C-Dilla program does while in active memory. Some information about this can be seen on Amazon.com in user reviews, and in a recent PC Magazine article. Not sure yet, but running a program called "Ad-Aware" (shareware version available) may get rid of all those C-Dilla components after TurboTax is uninstalled."

~Michelle

It's a non-issue. C-dilla is not spyware. It's simply a copy protection mechanism from Macrovision called SafeCast. Delete the c-dilla folder and your installed program won't run. Simple as that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QponCentral:
    It's a non-issue. C-dilla is not spyware. It's simply a copy protection mechanism from Macrovision called SafeCast. Delete the c-dilla folder and your installed program won't run. Simple as that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I classify a program that stays resident and uses up memory on my machine as a "non-issue." If that's a fact and if lots of programs start adding this extra junque, next thing you know you need to buy more RAM just to get your PC back to where it should've been all along.

They say on their Web site that it does not interfere with your CD-R/RW drive (presumably they added that, because I had heard recently that it can interfere) and that the C-Dilla folder can be deleted, of course other programs we're all aware of also say that...

Edit: I dropped them a line on their Web site:

"I don't like the sound of this "C-Dilla" program one bit, does the live online only version also add any of this additional coding that I've heard uses memory at all times, not just when you're running TurboTax? If so, I may have to go to another program this year."

[This message was edited by ShoreMark on January 18, 2003 at 04:22 PM.]

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I am concerned about what they may do with it later on their end too.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire."
    -- Confucius

~Michelle wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am concerned about what they may do with it later on their end too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Exactly! Just because the company providing this software today may be reputable and have only good intentions, that doesn't mean they couldn't be bought out by an unscrupulous corporation in the future.

I don't like programs that install things on my computer that are difficult to remove, or programs that are bundled with a lot of extra garbarge. They dangle the really good stuff in front of you like a person teasing a dog with a treat. See how good this looks? Well, you can't have it unless you take all the other stuff as well!

No matter what it is, it's not a good deal for the consumer. There is a price to pay somewhere.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Yes everyone is out to get you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QponCentral:
    Yes everyone is out to get you.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually could care less if it phones home with my surfing habits, I don't like all the attendant garbage on the machine using memory and taking up space and worse in this particular instance - tax records that may not be easily accessed 2 computers from now because reinstalling the software on the new machine may be at worst difficult or impossible or at best require contacting Intuit and perhaps paying again.

ABW Ambassador
    Apparently Qrponcentral has a financial interest in this company. Nobody should be this defensive of secretly installed spyware, and that is exactly what this program is.

Even at a price of free I decided against and advised others in my family against purchasing TurboTax for this reason.

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

C-Dilla has been around for a long time. It is used by some high end programs, such as 3D Studio Max (A Autodesk product) for License Management.

You can uninstall the product through your add/remove programs.

I have never ran into an issue where I can not reinstall my product and use it.

I would not worry about C-Dilla, they have been a reputable company for many years.

um, no I have no financial interest in the company or the product. I just happen to know a little something about it and refuse to act like Chicken little with the sky falling down.

QponCentral, hang around here and read all the posts on parasiteware and you will see that pretty much everyone IS out to get you.

We all have good reason to be paranoid.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread