Question What is Your Definition of an Inactive Affiliate
    Hi -

I just finished reading Michael Coley's thread about What to Do with Inactive Affiliates. I think it's a great post (Mods - please move this there if you want) and so am segmenting my affiliates by active/inactive and plan to communicate with them somewhat differently and offer different types of incentives. However, I am not sure how to classify an affiliate as "Inactive". No sales last month? Last three months? All year? Never?

Other AMs - how to you classify "Inactive"?

Affiliates, should I even bother with trying to RE-activate an affilite who tried my program but then stopped? I've tried communicating with them to ask why they dropped but do not hear back.

Any suggestions with this would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Paula

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Paula,

My first clue is an affiliate that signed up in 2003 and never sent a click. I would email the oldest, checked the bounces to see if the domain exists. Then work your way up.

As an affiliate, I don't mind getting a reminder email from a merchant who I haven't done anything with in the last 6 months.

Sometimes I sign up with a great idea in mind, but then get side-tracked with other ideas and it falls down to the bottom of my never ending ToDo list. An email format that I like is "I notice there hasn't been any activity on your account, and I wanted to reach out to you and offer any assistance you may need with banners, links, or coupons."

This is an offer for help, not a nagging reminder, and I actually appreciate these emails. Often it triggers my initial idea and moves the merchant to the top of my ToDo list.

But anything more frequent than 3 months comes across as nagging and is about as effective as my wife trying to get me to clean the garage (never gonna happen btw).

Thanks btw Paula for your super fast reply to my request for a coupon. I just had 3 sales roll in today for Partition Commander thanks in part to those helpful "sales tools", and it's nice to find a product that's converting so well:

Commissions Sales Clicks Imps CTR CR CPM EPC (USD)
    $34.33 - 3 - 9 - 299 - 3.01% - 33.33% - 114.813 - $381.43

An "inactive" affiliate is one who has never posted an affiliate link to your site. As a practical matter, most affiliates who post a link will click to test the link (they certainly should!), so it probably makes sense to view an affiliate as "inactive" if there are zero recorded clickthroughs, unless your technology automatically excludes clicks from your affiliates.

I would be reluctant to consider an affiliate "inactive" merely because no clicks have been tracked "lately" (such as since 2003), since the affiliate may have active links that just aren't getting clicked. Such an affiliate is better classified as "low-performing" (but don't use this term when contacting the affiliate).

I think it's worthwhile to contact your "stale" affiliates (including those who have never posted a link, as well as those who are low performers) to encourage those affiliates to become active. You'll find more success if you can provide legitimate information that helps the affiliate (for example, data like conversion rates and average transaction sizes, or identifying new creatives or linking tools).

Rick,

Glad to hear that Partition Commander is converting and the sales are rolling in. Yeah!!!!

What is Your Definition of an Inactive Affiliate
    They are dead.

I can not begin to tell the horror stories and tales of bad will that have been instigated because some AM thinks they'll "clean up" the database of affiliates. Affiliates should not be culled, however every attempt to turn them into active performers should be initiated and is crucial for the true success of a program. There are many activation bonuses and incentives out there, use them they do work!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Yes, "inactive" doesn't always equal a "not interested" (or "not potentially fruitful") affiliate. They may be simply idle, but likely to react to your activation incentives. It is the job of the AM to raise their interest enough for them to start sending you those hits and sales.

Geno

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    They are dead.
    This is the best answer. I was about to post something similar when I saw the thread title. I personally have a great dislike for the term "inactive affiliate", as I do for emails that threaten to remove me from a program "unless you generate a sale by x date." That's makes me drop a program, not get motivated to "become active".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. Just to clarify, I am not trying to classify as Inactive in order to drop an affiliate. I am merely attempting to identify them as "Not currently active" so that I can communicate with them and incent them appropriately in order to try get them to become an active Affiliate.

Thanks again all!!

Paula

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    They are dead.

I can not begin to tell the horror stories and tales of bad will that have been instigated because some AM thinks they'll "clean up" the database of affiliates. Affiliates should not be culled, however every attempt to turn them into active performers should be initiated and is crucial for the true success of a program. There are many activation bonuses and incentives out there, use them they do work!
    I agree.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread