Hey guys,
    I’m new to this site but it’s the type of forum I’ve been looking for. I know this is a bit heavy but I’m interested in hearing other opinions.

I’ve worked within the industry for several years now. I adore advertising yet I cant help feeling a little jaded from the unremittingly cynical and deceitful nature of the discipline.

I’ve reached the point where I can no longer stand the sheer lack of respect there seems to be - for the environment, the public, the culture, everything. No one really seems to think of anything wider than the meeting the clients marketing strategy.

I believe that agencies should be responsible for their actions and accountable for their lack of morals and ethics.

Is anyone else starting to feel this resistance building up inside them? Or is it just a bad case of indigestion?

What's the next step?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    All I can suggest is, to run your own show!

That way, you only take the campaigns you want. You don't *have to* disrespect anything. You don't *have to* take a client you think is scum, when it's your agency.

Sometimes being able to NOT deal with a merchant is just as important as being able TO deal with one.

And with affiliate marketing, it's especially easy--no submitting proposals needed! Schmoozing optional. Just Click to sign up for the programs you want, for the most part, and there's plenty of them.

"Is anyone else starting to feel this resistance building up inside them? Or is it just a bad case of indigestion?"

I'd say it's Indigestion, probably caused by not dumping (or not being able to dump) clients who deserve dumping. There's not much resistance to build up, when if you detect a merchant doing a practice you don't want to tolerate, you can just Disappear Their Pages with the next site update--and replace that merchant the same night.

About the only thing that's been troublesome for some, is finding merchants who don't deal with Parasiteware places. So if that'll keep you from sleeping, you may still be in trouble...

Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. - Frank Lloyd Wright

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The draw to a career in advertising is that you have no responsibility to prove a damn thing to your clients. All smoke and mirrors any upfront payments since the end result is just a guess as to whether it will be worth the funds expended.

In the pay-per-performance model the real sleeze bags all have an advertising mindset. That one mind set gives birth to free traffic diversion schemes practived by the affiliate managers who report to the Advertising management rather than sales management. They all take the easy way out and embrace the lack of work required to signup for BHO theftware affiliates hijacking traffic and commissions rather than work on conversion ratios.

I have for years stated the further this affiliate industry gets from an advertising mindset the closer it will get to becoming an honest business.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! Where's the love and show me the money?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread