PC Meltdown
    Was playing a game last night and had my PC crash (shut down). At reboot, it told me that I had Overheated (F4 to continue) at the BIOS start screen.

I haven't played any more games since then, but windows are dissolving slowly this morning, etc.

What are the chances I cooked my graphics card?

My system is probably undercooled. I have a 512mb AGP graphics card, a 2.9g P4 processor, an Xfi extreme sound card and 2.5 gigs of RAM.

I only have a fan on the power plant, and the on board one on the vid card.

Ironically, I had just ordered a new PC on Monday, so I'm not really looking to dump coin into this one.

Anything I can do to cheaply improve cooling? (I run with the side wall off to help already) I was going to move this PC to my office, and use the new one for gaming....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Actually, 3 fans. One on the motherboard too.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

If you run with the side off, feel the components after it's been running hard to see what's hot. That should let you know where to focus your attention.

Defragmenting the hard drive can make a pretty big difference in both heat and speed if you haven't done it in a while.

Even with the side of the PC open, make sure that the area that the PC is in gets good airflow. Often we put them in a cabinet, and it can get pretty hot in there if the cabinet isn't properly ventilated.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks MC. I have it close to the AC return, so it gets good cool air most of the day. I'm not really feeling any heat at the moment. Might be the Vid card, sice I'm not playing a game.

Further symptoms now though.

Desktop icons aren't being drawn, and window headers are bleeding through, so I just get a jumble of letters in the Window Title bar if they overlap.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Well, I think it's over. Shutting down every 3 minutes now. All the fans are firing though, so I'm not sure. Sadly, I'm not getting Windows error messages, so I can't tell what cooked.

RAM maybe?

I actually had to COME INTO THE OFFICE today. That makes me unhappy
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Might try finding a utility that monitors your temps. Many are available. Check with your motherboard maker first.

Check for dust in the heat sinks on both your processor and vid card.

I know this sounds weird, but make sure your fans are spinning in the right direction.

Put the side back on. Not sure why people think this helps. The case is designed to move air through the unit, across the components that need cooling. Leaving the side off disrupts that airflow.

Make sure all of the air entry and exit points are dust free and the fans are installed to move the air in one side, and out the other.

Check the fan on your power supply. Is it dirty?

It may already be too late. If you are showing glitches, the damage may already be done.

Do you have on board video? If you do, remove the vid card and hook to it.

Thanks Mack. I'll screw around with it when I get home tonight. Valid point on the case.

I do have on board video as well, so I'll try that too.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Clarify one thing, about the fans spinning in the right direction.

A friend of mine put a couple extra fans in her homebuilt PC. She had them all pointing inward. They were in every opening. So there was no way for the air to flow from one side to the other. To make things a little worse, she put her CPU fan on backwards. Fixing the fans made a huge difference.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    windows are dissolving slowly
    Sounds like the vid card cooked. Fans can be "on," but slow down so much they're ineffectual (or not speed up to meet increased demand).

I'd say to check that it isn't really the power supply failing, since it can cause lots of crashing and graphical errors when it dies (just like a vid card!)--but you specifically got an overheating message.

As for the case side, I'd read that leaving it on is supposed to improve cooling, too. So I tested it. My graphics card reported a good 10C MORE heat with it on. Needless to say, it's off again. Maybe if the case has the optimum airflow design, it would work better with it on, but mine obviously isn't optimum!

Anything I can do to cheaply improve cooling?
    Blast more air in there with some more fans! But if the card's truly cooked, it's too late...kind of like trying to uncook a roast after it's been in the oven for 10 hours...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

My vote is for the power supply. My desktop started acting up last Christmas and at first I thought it was the video card. It died a slow death with weird glitches til I couldn't power the PC on at all. I installed a new power supply and that fixed it.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Actually, that is a possibility. I know that the gear I've got in it is probably straining it a bit.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Go in BIOS and see how much info that model gives you. Do you have voltage, fan speeds and temps? How are they? Stable? Try running it for 30 min then reboot and go back into BIOS. Still around the same numbers?

Visually check all fans. Power supply fan spinning? Its hard to see sometimes. Standard power supplies use cheap fans.

If you or a friend have any other components around try swapping them. I would try going to onboard graphics, swap the graphics card, and then try swapping the power supply in that order. I think you should know what the problem is by then.

Might also try reseating the video card. Remove, inspect for dirt or damage, then reinsert carefully. I just had a AMD Dual Core chip need reinserting after some overclocking that got a little out of hand. I thought I cooked it but it was ok after reinserting.

I think you will want to get this one running even though a new one is on the way. Might cost you a vid card or power supply to do it though.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread