Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A lot of sites are down now.

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

ABW Ambassador
    From http://noc.eni.net/

"There is a major fiber cut that has taken place in Palo Alto, California. This is affecting peering and routing. There is no estimated time of repair at this time ..."

That is not what i heard. There has been talks about a ms sql worm dosing the hell out of servers .

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

ABW Ambassador
    My server co-location company says the outages are because of the fiber cut.

"Some of our customers are not able to reach our network or reach places on the internet from our network. We have been notified by our upstream providers that a FIBER CUT has occurred at the PALO ALTO INTERNET EXCHANGE in California. Telco personell from that facility are working on the problem and will have it resolved soon. We will keep you posted as new developments arise..."

ABW Ambassador
    After looking at who is down and who is up (major hosting companies) - I am betting on MS SQL worm as well. Pure Linux hosts do not seem to be getting nailed as bad.

It is really spotty - but the most important thing - It is effecting my playing of BF 1942. That I will not stand for.

Chet

I wonder if this is a possible explanation for the weird firewall traffic I'm noticing. Everyone wants in to my puter.

ABW Ambassador
    Mine is a Linux server and it's down.

ABW Ambassador
    From what I can see this is the big one. At least the biggest one I have ever seen. My server has had no DNS resolution for 3 hours. They finally got it back up again and now qksrv seems to be staggering. Then there is directnic which seems to be answering requests at random.

It's just one of those days. Let's just hope that's all it is.

By the way, hello everyone. I know I have been MIA, I found out that I make a lot more loot working than trolling the boards 24/7.

Not that trolling the boards is not beneficial, it's just that with me it's like checking stats. It just doesn't help to do it every 10 minutes, lol.

Breeze

The best way out is always through - Robert Frost

Affiliate programs that pay!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Mine's up now, but wasn't responding a couple of hours ago. It's a Linux box.

I don't have any guesses as to the downtime, but hopefully everything will start working right all over, before the buyers wake up!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

My site is up, but also noticed a lot of sites down or dragging.

Maybe Al Gore (Who invented the internet you know!) had second thoughts with all the crap going on lately and decided to shut the internet down for a while.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Something definetly is up, seems about a third of the sites in my category are down.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

ABW Ambassador
    it is not if your own box is linux or not - but does your host, host MS boxes? It is killing upstream routers it seems.

By the way, Cerf, the guy who pretty much did invent the Internet once said of Al Gore - "yes, he has every right to claim the invention of the commercial Internet, no one else championed it before him."

Those of us who have been around since the beginning of the commercialization of the Internet can remember the backlash, my house and car thanks Al Gore for helping me make my living this way. Ignoring the complaints of the geeks demanding the net be about watching coffee pots and talking about star trek.

Chet

I heard its a major DOS attack

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    My sites hosted in America are all down
    My sites hosted in Europe are all up

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

UUnet/Worldcom are in trouble, Internap was in the red earlier on...here's the internet health report http://www.internetpulse.net/

Thomas Edison

Interesting I have not seen any issues and we are at internap.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

Ooooo check this out
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~selpaw/status/status.png

Pkt loss was 80-100% a little while ago

http://average.matrix.net/

Here it is just hit cnn
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
    Thomas Edison

[This message was edited by mousejockey on January 25, 2003 at 07:10 AM.]

[This message was edited by mousejockey on January 25, 2003 at 07:20 AM.]

Internet traffic broadly affected by electronic attack

WASHINGTON - Traffic on the many parts of the Internet slowed dramatically early Saturday, the apparent effects of a fast-spreading, virus-like infection in the world's digital pipelines and interfering with Web browsing and delivery of e-mail.

Sites monitoring the health of the Internet reported significant slowdowns globally. Experts said the latest electronic attack bore remarkable similarities to "Code Red" virus during the summer of 2001 which also ground traffic to a halt on much of the Internet.

"It's not debilitating," said Howard Schmidt, one of President George W. Bush's top cyber-security advisers. "Everybody seems to be getting it under control." Schmidt said the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center and private experts at the CERT Coordination Center were monitoring the attacks.

The virus-like attack sought out vulnerable computers to infect on the Internet using a known flaw in popular database software from Microsoft Corp., called "SQL Server." But the attacking software code was scanning for victim computers so randomly and so aggressively — sending out thousands of probes each second — that it overwhelmed many Internet data pipelines.

"This is like Code Red all over again," said Marc Maiffret, an executive with eEye Digital Security, whose engineers were among the earliest to study samples of the attack software. "The sheer number of attacks is eating up so much bandwidth that normal operations can't take place."

The attack sought to take advantage of a software flaw discovered in July 2002 that permits hackers to infect corporate database servers. Microsoft deemed the problem "critical" and offered a free repairing patch, but it was impossible to know how many computer administrators applied the fix.

"People need to do a better job about fixing vulnerabilities," Schmidt said.

By the way, check this web site

http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/

ABW Ambassador
    Hope that worm isn't standing in the way of my sales, i've had nothing since 10PM CJ time last nite.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And the winner is ryan21 with the earliest correct answer to what in the world was going on. Completely shut down my cable company through my whole state starting at almost midnight (CST) and lasting for almost 2 hours. When the cable company finally got it under control on their end, I still had problems accessing particular sites. All the sites where I might have been able to get info from, I couldn't access. I sure wish I could have gotten onto the boards here last night. Could get into chat, but not the boards. So I went to bed. Glad it hit in the wee hours of the morning. I also hope they can track down where this originated from (unlikely) and nail whoever for cyber terrorism.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Damn. My US-hosted sites still down (9 hours and counting)
    My European-hosted sites still up & running.

Is it right that those sites that are down are hosted by companies that did not patch their systems with a MS patch that has been avaialable since June/July?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Affiliate,

NOt cool posting that link.

For those who clicked on it "ctrl+D"

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Not necessarily Perfect. Many systems are being hit which aren't vulnerable (damn MS and their security holes). It's also just the tremendous volume of worms being sent out looking for systems they can infilitrate. Clogging up the whole system with overwhelming volumes of traffic. I'm seeing close to 200 attempts made to my router in the logs this morning only. And I'm just one little lonely computer out there.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Ya the way the worm scan for vulnerable servers is way too aggressive. Lot of linux servers are hit too by the agressive scanning. Don't alway blame MS , blame it on the thousand of server admins who didn't bother to patch their server when MS did release the patch to this security hole in july 2002.
    one of my webhost account is still down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast