Question Question about Buy.com and CJ click tracking.
    Since Buy.com changed their link structure do they do their own link tracking now and is it affected by the batch transfers? Reason I ask is, I know I had more clicks (over a 2 day span last week) than what's being reported. Since I was promoting what I considered to be a hot product (it sold out within a few days) I also expected some sales, but it hasn't been 10 days yet and I read in another thread that it can take 10 days for sales to be reported from Buy.com. So I'll wait to see on that, but I know the click numbers are off.

You should do a test purchase for some inexpensive household item that you would buy somewhere along the line anyway. This way the money won't be wasted either way. And if you get an unpleasant surprise, you will have learned a lesson the cheap and fast way.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Check on ABW and see if they are doing batch processing. One of the merchant I used to work for only reported when the item is shipped out.

The landing pages on Buy.com uses JavaScript to write out a click tracking pixel.

You might want to check to see if the "product not found" page does that properly.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Buy.com does do batch processes, so I wasn't concerned with the sales as much as the discrepancy in clicks. And it wasn't like the clicks weren't tracking at all they were just off by a considerable number. So MichaelColey's suggestion seems like a possible reason, but it's been sold out for a week now and that particular link still shows a few clicks after it had been sold out. Also the page is still there (it just says "Currently Unavailable"), so it's not a "product not found" page.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll have to do a few tests on that link to see what the problem is.

Are a lot of the clicks from people going that previously clicked through the link? I haven't looked too closely, but I think Buy.com is displaying the JavaScript to display the click tracking pixel on every page (which would inflate the click count) so I suspect that CJ is not counting duplicate clicks (which would lower the click count). Or, the browser might not load the click tracking pixel since it cached it the first time.

In any case, I think the click tracking could be low due to these reasons (and the fact that JavaScript is used), while I don't think it should impact sale tracking.

It does make the metrics a little harder to compare, though. For instance, I thought I had an increased conversion ratio and EPC in July, but now I realize that it's probably just an understated click count.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    When I was running Backcountry through CJ we batch all sales data so there was a lag in recording sales. As for click those shouldn't be batched and should be recorded real time. I am not familiar with the CJ javascript but with other platforms the clicks are recorded real time.

With Buy.com's branded links, the clicks no longer go directly through CJ. The landing page at Buy.com has JavaScript that generates a new "click tracking pixel".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    How does the click get recorded?

My click tracking just counts clicks, so I have no way of knowing for sure whether they were unique clicks or not. I checked and Buy.com is displaying the click tracking image on every page, but I'm only tracking clicks from my site to Buy.com's site so the duplicate clicks on Buy.com's site would not inflate my stats. But if its not loading it because it was cached then duplicate clicks from my site might be inflated.

As for how the click gets recorded, I just skimmed the JavaScript on Buy.com and I would say this line does it:

document.write("");

I have a few buy.com links up that used to generate sales for a hot product, but it hasn't generated anything for over a month now. Could just be that my page sucks too, but here's something you can also do to as a comparison test: switch the product to an Amazon link for a week and see what happens. If you get some sales during that week, then you know something is fishy with the buy.com links.

I did this with another merchant a couple months ago and have never changed the links back because I like consistently selling a few products a day and getting up into the 6.5% commission range (almost made 7% last month - hope to get there this month).

You might want to just leave the links with Amazon too - better commissions, and you won't be sending traffic to a landing page that has what appears to be PPC ads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I have a few buy.com links up that used to generate sales for a hot product, but it hasn't generated anything for over a month now. Could just be that my page sucks too, but here's something you can also do to as a comparison test: switch the product to an Amazon link for a week and see what happens. If you get some sales during that week, then you know something is fishy with the buy.com links.

I did this with another merchant a couple months ago and have never changed the links back because I like consistently selling a few products a day and getting up into the 6.5% commission range (almost made 7% last month - hope to get there this month).

You might want to just leave the links with Amazon too - better commissions, and you won't be sending traffic to a landing page that has what appears to be PPC ads on it.
    Funny you should say that, because I would've used Amazon links in the first place, but they're sold out and have been for quite awhile. Buy.com was the only place I've seen this item in stock anywhere recently. I've sold similar (different brand) products through Amazon without any problem.

No commission from Buy.com?
    I made a small purchase linking from the buy.com link on my website on 9/14. Still no pending commission on the CJ reports by 9/17! Also, most of my links generate a tracking code in the url, but the link to the buy.com page just has a url of www.buy.com without a tracking code.

Has anyone actually received commissions from buy.com? If not, I'd like to drop them ASAP!

I received commission only once from buy.com, and it was about $3. That was a few months ago, and I've since removed their links because they have PPC ads and other ads on their landing pages. There's no way I'm going to feed them traffic and let them make money on advertising from my efforts.

(oops.. please delete this post - I forgot I had already said the same thing earlier)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread