What were some of your most surprising commissions?
    Sometimes I work like a slave, scratching my old bald head nearly raw for ideas, then working my fingers down to the first knuckle putting up sites and pages for the grand, triumphant victory -- only to be ignored by traffic and find a sudden, surprising sale come out of nowhere at a different site.

So what have been some of your most surprising or unexpected sales.

I'll start off:

I spent most of this week revamping a blog/sales site for a merchant with a very large datafeed. I peppered that baby with content, datafeed displays, text links, regular blog entries, etc. By yesterday, I was seeing almost twice the traffic I had before the remake. I was getting a steady flow of click through to the merchant with the big datafeed, too.

This morning I did an early morning check on sales at the network the merchants on that site belong to -- hooray, I had a commission!

Except the commission was from an entirely different site on an entirely different niche, a site I put together in about 30 minutes a few weeks ago using PopShops.com.

SO -- amuse me, amaze me, encourage all of us with your tales of good surprises?
    Generate more fake news.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Just got a $0.00 commission today (well, yesterday actually) which was a big SURPRISE. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

When we had the recent debacle with the CJ java links vs. HTML links I convinced a couple of my top merchants to develop in-house programs, and to let me use those instead of the CJ links. Obviously the in-house affiliate links are completely different from the CJ links. It took me a week or so to change the old links to the new ‘in-house’ links, and sure enough the CJ commissions began to drop substantially while the new links generated increasing $$.

However, I continued to make the occasional sale with the old CJ links, even months after the change over, and long after the cookie duration of then old links expired. A couple of those links were sid-tagged, and I knew for sure they were no longer on my site.

I did some Sherlock Holmes work and found out that some chap had stolen my content via the source code, inclusive of the affiliate links. He/she didn’t change the links, and to this day I get a couple of hundred $ worth of commission each month from somebody who stole my content. Needless to say, I’ll don’t go after this guy/gal for copyright infringement…
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnAbout
    I did some Sherlock Holmes work and found out that some chap had stolen my content via the source code, inclusive of the affiliate links. He/she didn’t change the links, and to this day I get a couple of hundred $ worth of commission each month from somebody who stole my content. Needless to say, I’ll don’t go after this guy/gal for copyright infringement…

That is SO, so perfect.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Like Rexanne, I've been surprised by $0.00 commissions on transactions (I get a few of these from "Computer Scrapbook dot com," which has some free-download offers. I guess it's polite to report these, but otherwise I've seen no commissions from them.)

I was once surprised to see a commission of nearly $1,000 from a single transaction (and another the next month for almost as much), from a merchant where the average transaction size is about $19 (and whose highest-price SKU is $35.99). I've never figured out what those transactions were, but I liked the money.

I used to be surprised at the number of "unusual" items ordered at Amazon.com, but eventually realized that since I was driving lots of purchases by teachers, it was reasonable that they might add other unrelated items to their book orders. After I sold off my "teaching web site" my Amazon transactions plummetted, and then I was surprised to see a nice little boost when Amazon filled all those pre-orders for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    From a merchant side, at SAS, I've accidently generated a few $0.00 transactions somehow, by screwing around with my thank you page, which is where the code resides for determining who gets the commission.....always felt a little awkward about that.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

My most surprising commissions are when I advertise individual items and someone does a bulk buy. e.g. 100's of the same item. A lot of times I try to figure out why it happens but it is usually pretty random. I often wish I could know the "real story" behind said purchases. e.g. why someone was buying 100 cat flea collars...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I once got over a dozen sales at cj for a merchant I never added links for. :0)

About 5 years ago I was pretty new to IM and I got a commission in 1 transaction for a little over $2000! My god was I happy and something told me it was jus too good to be true. It was, the order was a fraud and I was a little disappointed but had to be realistic.

EVERY commission I earn is a surprise. I am now in my eighth year of online sales and some days I still can't believe that this Aff Mktg stuff really works.

However, my BIGGEST surprise was in my second year of being "commercial" online--selling hotel reservations. I woke up one morning, checked my stats and saw a hotel reservation for a [relatively] small town in Delaware that totaled just over $15,000. It was multi-room and multi-night, booked by phone, was not a fraud, and I did receive the commission. WooHoo!

Since then I have gotten some surprisingly high-dollar bookings, but none have ever matched that.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Someone bought 15 Christmas villages through one of my links. The order stuck. Nice commission, although not very exciting compared to some of the stories here!

I registered a coupon domain and placed a link to CJ Cool Savings link on a white background. Somehow someone found it and gave me a lead before the site had content indexed in search engines.

Great stuff. Very encouraging to me, I know, and I suspect to others. Thanks for finding this thread and posting.

My oddest was probably one I posted about a few months ago. I had a sub-directory with a "product blog" I fed with some datafeed software, and I had abandoned it. The sub-directory itself wasn't even related by name to the domain. It was a pretty lame operation I set up when I was first starting out.

After probably 6 months of no known traffic to that little sub-directory blog -- somebody went there and bought $980 worth of Spanish Bibles. Made $98 off that sale.

I even had posted on the sub-directory blog that I had moved that blog to a different site -- set it up on a better domain name and everything. I still get several visits a month to the abandoned sub-directory, and a sale every couple of months.

Go figure.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I once got over a dozen sales at cj for a merchant I never added links for. :0)
    Was that back in late 2005? They were probably mine At about that time I was experiencing the same thing, posted about it. Happened during one of their worst upgrades with all kinds of problems. Where I was getting sales with a merchant with a SID that wasn't mine and some sales with a merchant I never had links up with.

Pleasant surprises would be when I put up links to a new merchant and get sales that same day or merchants I think I would never do good with and they end up becoming one of my best. That's why it's always good to try things out and test for yourself.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread