Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs up Pearls Are Your Way Out, Men...
    Two years ago I bought my wife her first pair of gold+pearl earrings (with three little diamonds), and ever since then they have been one of her favorite pairs.

Half a year later they were followed by a pearl necklace. She loved it too.

Today (on her birthday) my daughter gave her a gorgeous pearl ring (ok, ok, she's only three and a half... so I had to choose and buy her gift to Mommy for her... but still she was the one that handed it to her) and a latest model SonyEricsson cell phone. Guess which gift Lena liked best?! Of course, the ring!

Men, I'm telling you: pearls work.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Geno

http and a telephoto
    *Some* women would prefer the phone over jewelry.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm one of those odd women that isn't too much into jewelry. I'll wear it occasionally, but I'm much more into gadgets, games, models, toys, etc... My hubby surprised me one evening with a 1:18 model of a FU4 Corsair (my fave WWII plane) and I thought it was the most thoughtful thing EVER. LOL. See attached pic. (And yes, we watch a LOT of the History Channel... ) It will soon be doing battle, suspended from the ceiling, with his Messerschmitt Me-209...

Yes, I'm weird. I guess it mostly depends on knowing what your woman likes. My hubby knows what I like!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    If this is meant to be advice for men, I'd have to chime in and say "know your audience" - pearls work for some women, cell phones for others and diamonds always work. LOL - Right now, a handy man would work for me!

It's very cool that you found the perfect gift for your wife and that she's enjoying her pearls so much.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    "know your audience"
    I agree. Since sometimes, er... often, guys can ramble about guy things, and many times women actually listen, it can be good to allow the female to show you things that she likes in catalogs, online, or in stores. It shows we listen too. After seeing various combinations of these items, we can develop a better understanding of what she likes so that we can buy it in secret for her later, show her that we care and listen to her interests, and we might learn something.

Nah, buy her something fake... she'll never know the difference... j/k

I agree with Rexanne about women being different....

Personally I think jewelry is a huge waste of money. I don't like wearing it and would rather spend the money on something fun. I would also be happier with a $30 string of pearls from Overstock than a $3000 string from Mondera. Why? Because I could spend the other $2,970 on something else... and know from a foot away it looks the same anyway. Plus if I lose them, no big deal Easily replaced.

That being said though, It is wonderful your wife is happy though, Geno. But really, all women are different

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    If this is meant to be advice for men, I'd have to chime in and say "know your audience" - pearls work for some women, cell phones for others and diamonds always work. LOL - Right now, a handy man would work for me!

It's very cool that you found the perfect gift for your wife and that she's enjoying her pearls so much.
    Money always works too.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Anne, now if you would please put that on your site and indoctrinate that into the minds of all women, men everywhere would be in your debt.

Quote Originally Posted by bpal
    Anne, now if you would please put that on your site and indoctrinate that into the minds of all women, men everywhere would be in your debt.
    Please take note. I advertise for Overstock and not Mondera

I would rather have some alone time, just chatting over coffee, tea or drinks than get gifts. I prefer the gift of time and attention. Things mean nothing to me really.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm in disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by bpal
    I'm in disbelief.
    And I thought men knew everything, interesting.

We know nothing when it comes to women.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I would rather have some alone time, just chatting over coffee, tea or drinks than get gifts. I prefer the gift of time and attention. Things mean nothing to me really.
    I second that. The gift of time is the best gift of all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "We know nothing when it comes to women."

This thread is voodoo, they're not telling the truth. All women love jewelry. Geno is right, he's one of us. He can be trusted.

Wow, after reading the ideas and suggestions in this thread I realize I have listened to my wife over th years. And it turns out she does like many different things...

...such as pearls (thank you, Geno) AND diamonds (thank you, Rexanne) AND gold...(don't forget the GOLD).

Cell phone??? Sure - Yesterday she handed me her nice RAZR (thank you, Loxly) and said, "Charge this for me today, please."

So, there ya go...jewelry AND Technology. I am, indeed, a lucky man.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    And I thought men knew everything, interesting.
    I thought it was women who knew everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    This thread is voodoo, they're not telling the truth. All women love jewelry. Geno is right, he's one of us. He can be trusted.
    But Geno bought the jewelry. Just how much control does he have? Can he be trusted? Wait... I've bought jewelry... I feel so conflicted... crap.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust

This thread is voodoo, they're not telling the truth. All women love jewelry.
    I certainly do - BUT - not ALL women love the same jewelry or stones or gems. I don't wear pearls. They don't suit me at all, but Geno's wife loves hers and that's very cool. Just not all women love pearls.
    Don't listen to Connie and Deb ... they're lying.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

This thread is definitely not meant to appear as an advice-to-all-men one, but more of an observation. She didn't know she liked them before she tried them. They don't suit every outfit, but they work wonderfully with some...

I like Rexanne's "know your audience" advice. The type of the gift is highly dependent on the age, occupation, interests, etc. I went with both a cell phone and jewelry this time, because I honesty had no idea which would work best (and I was surprised that it wasn't the phone).

...and Michael is definitely right on the money again:

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    We know nothing when it comes to women.
    Probably so, but there are tendencies and trends that we, men, are to keep an eye on when it comes to our own women.

Geno

I love jewelry but seldom wear it. But I absolutely love that Dave is smart enough to suggest that the occasion might call for a special gift and then he lets me pick it out!

Sidenote: Yesterday we were browsing in an antique shop and discussing 2 oak tables and 2 kitchen cupboards and the shop owner heard Dave ask me which of them I wanted. She said a wonderful man like that deserved "steaming bowls tonight".

I've never ever heard that expression before, but we're thinking she meant food ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    She said a wonderful man like that deserved "steaming bowls tonight".

I've never ever heard that expression before, but we're thinking she meant food ?
    from google "steaming bowl is useful to cook vegetables with their moisture kept in them."

I would say he deserved vegetables. LOL!

My interpretation is hot food on the table - a good old fashioned home-cooked meal. (When it comes to food I try to stay tuned in... )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Are you sure she said "bowls?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Are you sure she said "bowls?"
    BELLS, maybe?

a good old fashioned home-cooked meal
    I had a feeling that's what she meant. I'm loving this adventure of learning a new language in the comfort of my own home. Yesterday we were in a restaurant and I heard a woman speaking with a very Southern accent. I thought it was someone I had just met the day before until I remember they all have very Southern accents here.

We're going to go with the 'home cookin' interpretation and I'm going to incorporate it into my everyday manipulation. Here in our new town vegetables are tator tots and bacon beans, so he'll probably ask for more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast