Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Change Hosting: Narrowed It Down to 5
    I have been reading a lot about the different hosting companies that people use. Since I don't think I am ready to host it myself, I am looking to switch from my current host to one of these.

1. bluehost
    2. Verve Hosting
    3. hostmonster
    4. lunarpages
    5. aplus

I've heard of all of them, and never heard anything bad that comes to mind.

I have a VPS with slhost.com. They do offer some excellent prices and packages for shared hosting and/or reseller hosting, too.

I have been with slhost.com for over a year now and their performance and incredible support has completely impressed me. I'd never go elsewhere.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We have been very pleased with Lunarpages.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Are you looking to host one site? I have several single-site shared hosting accounts with Lunarpages for several years and have never had any problems at all with them.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Are you looking to host one site? I have several single-site shared hosting accounts with Lunarpages for several years and have never had any problems at all with them.
    I actually have 2 sites with 2 domain names. Unfortunately, both are on the same crappy host right now.

try doing a c:/ tracert (enter ip of host here) to see who is faster for you that might help narrow the field even more.

In example lunar pages would be
    c:\documents and settings\username>tracert 209.200.229.7

I show this trace route slowing down at their front door with a 600 ms hop

what the hay here is what I show for the rest of the from my location wich may vary from your location

bluehost was 250 or so but had a greater number of hops

Verve Hosting had 12 hops for me and at the front door only 190 ish MS (seem to be hosted on SBC)

Monster host seems to by from Blue host, but their front door time was 580 ms or so

aplus was around 400 ms or so with a few extra hops (routed through washington to get the San Diego server???!!)

Verve seems the best on speed, but if SBC is their only backbone connection that's iffy until net neutrality is in place..we have all seen what happens when a site does not resolve on a given network.
    Last edited by mrbshouse; September 3rd, 2007 at 06:23 PM.

Talking
    I used most of those that you've listed and I now use HostGator.

It is the fastest that I've used so far and scripts run faster on it than on the other host that I had.

I never had any problems with them - and my sites have never been down with them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

How about 1&1? They are fairly reliable.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

1&1 is based in Germany and I'm not sure if they have servers in the states or not.

8 hops from here about 400 ms at the front door

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    1&1 is based in Germany and I'm not sure if they have servers in the states or not.

8 hops from here about 400 ms at the front door
    In terms of uptime, 1&1 is great. 1&1 is easy to Google for more info.
    1&1 does not include Cpanel but overall I like their service.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I use the small reseller hosting at FastNext, and with a 24 month deal it's the best price around for every feature imaginable, including Cpanel (with AWStats which I find indispensable) and WHM so that each domain has it's own control panel, stats, etc.
    I actually have 2 sites with 2 domain names
    I have 5 domains hosted on an account and can add a lot more; it ends up costing me $4.95 a month for everything I need, so as of now it's $1 a month for each domain.

It's complete, full-featured hosting for each domain, not add-on domains.

WW that is a pretty nice looking package have you had any problems with slow loads or MySQL crapping out due to other users killing resources (shared)?

Bluehost has been fantastic, I have 12 sites with them. No down time, great support with good plans. Cpanel, Fantastico, easy database set up.

Joey

Right now it's between hostgator and bluehost.

comment retracted

just do a search for both of them here ;-)

hostgator is good & fast connection most places in the US, but make sure your site is super-clean. From what I read, if you spam, copy & paste news clippings or anything from someone who may complain, they'll turn off your site fast.
    I don't use them, so i'm not talking from experience, but try googling about both the places and see what people have to say about them.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Right now it's between hostgator and bluehost.

I moved my sites from bluehost to hostgator.

Bluehost kept stopping my scripts saying that my sites were using too much CP time.

Better go with HostGator.

HostGator never stops the same scripts that bluehost did and my sites had a lot of down time with bluehost.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    WW that is a pretty nice looking package have you had any problems with slow loads or MySQL crapping out due to other users killing resources (shared)?
    There were some issues for a short time several months ago that were apparently resolved and stopped happening, and I haven't experienced anything since on either account (I've got two of them).

I'm not using MySQL on any of those sites (yet) so I can't offer any input on that.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    hostgator is good & fast connection most places in the US, but make sure your site is super-clean. From what I read, if you spam, copy & paste news clippings or anything from someone who may complain, they'll turn off your site fast.
    I don't use them, so i'm not talking from experience, but try googling about both the places and see what people have to say about them.
    So you don't really know. You've just heard things from other people - right.

I actually use HostGator and I have never had any problems with them or down time.

westhost can give you a semi dedicated server for the same price as all the others

Survive Digg is what I host with. They are a bit more expensive, but the guarantee no down time during traffic surges and their support is fantastic.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

No host is perfect for everyone, but of the hosts mentioned so far, I generally see good reviews for hostgator, while 1and1 does not generally get good reviews for hosting. Westhost's offering, the last time I checked, looks like a VPS, but it isn't.

You might check out webhostingtalk for reviews of the various hosts you're considering.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    In terms of uptime, 1&1 is great. 1&1 is easy to Google for more info.
    1&1 does not include Cpanel but overall I like their service.
    1 and 1 used to have their us servers in new jersey, they now have a new data center in KC. i can't really tell a marked difference. their US CEO, thomas Vollrath, just left the US and went to the UK at the end of August, so...not sure how that will impact things.

i also still have stuff on dreamhost, which hasn't been as bad for me as others, but i did go down for 3 hours a few months ago, which was pretty annoying as that was the EXACT time that i had finished a lot of changes and was ready to ftp the files.

i was recommended hostingrevolutions in NJ by the mythbusters fanclub/forums guys, but still have my stuff under contract for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    No host is perfect for everyone, but of the hosts mentioned so far, I generally see good reviews for hostgator, while 1and1 does not generally get good reviews for hosting. Westhost's offering, the last time I checked, looks like a VPS, but it isn't.

You might check out webhostingtalk for reviews of the various hosts you're considering.
    Sorry your mistaken,

http://www.westhost.com/vps-web-hosting.html

there is no way I know of to fit the VPS operating software inside 250 mb (their smallest VPS)....they must be doing something different My VPS with cpanel uses about 1 gig just for running the VPS software.

says it right here ..."benefits of a Virtual Private Server"...."While a WestHost VPS can not be considered the same as a root access VPS,"

but it seems they are trying to make shared a bit closer to VPS regardign separation of site resources.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast