SAS Merchant Tip: Use the Coupon/Deal Database!
    There are many coupon affiliates who check the Coupon/Deal Database regularly and/or have automated their use of it. Don't underutilize those affiliates by neglecting to list your coupons and promotions there.

1) If you have any coupons (that you want affiliates to promote), add them to the Coupon/Deal Database. (Also, see these tips.)

2) If you have a clearance section, free shipping above a certain level, a regularly changing sale page, or any other similar types of ongoing promotions, add those things to your Coupon/Deal Database.

3) If you have promotions that your in-house team runs from time to time, piggyback on their work and add those to the Coupon/Deal Database. Make sure to keep on top of things if there are changes.

4) If you want to give an affiliate an exclusive coupon code and you know they use the Coupon/Deal Database, you can enter the coupon in the coupon/deal database and flag that coupon so that only the appropriate affiliate gets it.

5) If things change (like a free shipping offer, expiration dates, etc.) make sure to update the deal in your Coupon/Deal Database and perhaps even send out a newsletter about it.

6) Make sure you always add coupons and promotions to the Coupon/Deal Database before you push them out in any other way. If you send a coupon or promotion out in a newsletter and an affiliate manually adds it to their site, then it comes through in the Coupon/Deal Database later, it might result in a duplicate listing or cause extra work for the affiliate.

The Coupon/Deal Database at ShareASale.com is an incredible tool for both merchants and affiliates, as long as it's fully utilized.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

As an affiliate, I have looked at the Coupon/Deal database several times. I can plainly see there's a lot of stuff there which would be useful.

I guess I'm just to ignorant, however, to figure out HOW to utilize the data??

HINT: Your tips/suggestions for the database and merchants is great -- how about something for us dumber (grin) affiliates?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    HINT: Your tips/suggestions for the database and merchants is great -- how about something for us dumber (grin) affiliates?
    Yes, as the resident airhead I second Writerguy's suggestion.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    As an affiliate, I have looked at the Coupon/Deal database several times. I can plainly see there's a lot of stuff there which would be useful.

I guess I'm just to ignorant, however, to figure out HOW to utilize the data??

Good question writerguy. I'd like some suggestions too - short of having to sit at the computer 24 hours a day trying to keep my sites updated.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Use it in your database...
    You can download the entire Coupons/Deals database in a pipe-delimited file. Plug that file into your database. Then use some PHP to parse the data and display the coupons and deals.

Once you write the PHP to parse the file, you'll never have to mess with programming again. Just download the coupons/deals into your database once a day..

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    You can download the entire Coupons/Deals database in a pipe-delimited file. Plug that file into your database. Then use some PHP to parse the data and display the coupons and deals.

Once you write the PHP to parse the file, you'll never have to mess with programming again. Just download the coupons/deals into your database once a day..
    And the php script to use is - hint?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Coley, thanks for the GREAT post!

I'm a big user of the deals database and loved all the points you've made!

In talking with merchants who do use it, I've seen better management emerge because they can log in and review their issued coupons and keep them updated easily as well, including remembering to update the custom ones too.

Good stuff!

I too have looked at the Coupon/Deal database several times a month. Thanks to SAS that recently they cleaned the expired coupons from their downloadable file.

What I hate is when I find out some merchants with their less professional habits in issuing their coupons:
    1 Letting the time gap between the last expired and its renewal dates. Say, every month a merchant issues some coupons that will expire at the end of each month. The problem arises when this merchant issues the renewal with different codes several days after the expiry date of the last coupons. IMO, these kind of merchants are not only loosing their promotional campaign from the time gap, but also from the wide spread that some affiliates may be missing their renewal coupons. I do check new coupons almost every day but I upload my coupon db to my hosting server only three times the most every month.Thatís the time gap plus.
    2 Seasonal coupons that are not clearly explained. Say, a merchant issues some coupons that will expire at the end of the month. When the coupons come to expire, the merchant does not issue the renewal nor send any news to affiliates. I keep searching for their new coupons and also keep the old coupons in my db for easy update. I believe that my customers are possibly doing samething like me, to postpone their shopping and hope they will find new coupons somewhere. Whatís the cost actually for a merchant to put a note on the coupon that this is only one time coupon or send a follow up news to affiliates, so I can pass it to my customers.

Moreover, if a merchant decides to issue the exclusive coupon for certain affiliates, please also issue the similar coupon for other affiliates. Donít let these certain affiliates take the benefit from the other affiliatesí traffic.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I also use the database quite a bit but I so wish they had better ways to sort the data, for example coupons by category and alphabetical by merchant name

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    And the php script to use is - hint?
    Any hints yet?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Another thing that's commonly overlooked are product deals. Please include product images; there's a special field just for them. And if you are running product specific promotions is really nice to have the price listed.

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Unless you know PHP pretty well it might be even easier to adapt a perl script off of the web for parsing the file. Google for "Perl CSV parser" or something similar, or pay someone who knows a little perl to whip something up for you.

For anyone needing some simple scripts written - I would suggest elance.com . I've had some good luck there!

I've started using the deals database by entering a weekly coupon. I don't think I can do pictures because it is a category-wide code (e.g. 10% off all shih tzu items). As of tonight, I've added coupons through to mid-Oct. Is it wise to go that far out?

Thanks, Juli
    www.YourDogStuff.com
    www.adlibpromo.com (under reconstruction)

I am new to this forum, but wanted to mention that I have a RSS scroller that utilizes the Deals database wonderfully, but my problem is the links are not affiliate links and go back to shareasale.com with info on the deal.........anybody know how to jump that bridge?

Running it through WebMerge gives you a ready to paste page of links. It has the click URLS, the description amd the start/end dates so you can end up with a page full of links ready to use. A little css and all your coupons can stand out wherever you paste them on your site.
    For RSS I guess I would change the HTML to xml.

From the merchant end I am thrilled that SAS offers the deals database and it is because of affiliate request that we put it to so much use. I generally have several coupons running there at once, dedicated affiliate coupons that are not offered anywhere else. Even if you don't use php scripts, it's a great resource. If you have a specific page you are building you can search for appropriate keywords in the deals database and a list of coupons will appear. Talk about targeted coupons on your site!!!!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by IRS

Moreover, if a merchant decides to issue the exclusive coupon for certain affiliates, please also issue the similar coupon for other affiliates. Donít let these certain affiliates take the benefit from the other affiliatesí traffic.
    Why should they issue similar coupons to other affiliates, unless all other affiliates are giving the same possible special placement and extra exposure that the site probably offered the merchant in return for the exclusive?

ABW Ambassador
    It is a good post, I would like to see the day when we can have true live RSS access to each merchants promotions then there is no need to download any datafeeds daily.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread