Ok, I might be starting an agrument here , but I'd like to hear opinions on whether to use serif, sans-serif, or a combo of fonts.

For those of you without print/graphic backgrounds, a serif font has edges (e.g. Times New Roman). This story on MSN is published in a serif font:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/866084.asp

A sans-serif font has no edges (the little edge at the end of a letter is called a "serif"). Arial is a sans-serif font. Yahoo uses sans-serif fonts:
    http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid...ederal_reserve

Thoughts and comments, and even font suggestions, on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

ABW Ambassador
    Though their original intent was to visually define characters in-print, serifs cause the opposite effect with smaller type sizes on low-resolution monitors.

Avoid serif faces on small type. For medium and larger sizes, just use whatever face suits your taste and style.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

I agree with 20lb_cojones_deelz. As a graphic designer, I prefer sans-serif fonts because they're often cleaner and simpler. But when I am trying to find a font that expresses a particular feeling or graphic concept, serif fonts often fit the bill because there's so much diversity. But I don't think that there are many other reasons why one is better than the other, except for what 20lb_cojones_deelz said. It's a matter of taste.

D. Bruce Stevens

DBS Design Group
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unique and Diverse Solutions for Businesses and Individuals

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like to use sans-serif for the body of a page. It's easy to read at almost any size, which can come in handy. Plus, commissions seem to be better when a page is easy to read. I used to always use Default (serif), but after testing awhile back I found out that sans-serif sells better so now sans it is.

Personally I like the looks of serif, but the Commission Check/Deposit likes sans-serif so that's what goes up. Beauty is in the eye of the commissions!

For the headline (size H1), I usually end up using sans-serif to match the rest of the page but if I want a more "newsy" or "official" look, I go for serif. Either way is easy to read at H1 size.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Sans Serif. Verdana is my favorite.

CreepyGuy likes fixed-width though (you didn't give that as an option!)

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

I personally dislike sans-serif fonts on the Internet. They may look fine in print media, but for the Internet I would go with whatever reads best and fast! Serif is the way!

Vlad Lysik
    E-mail: affiliates@webceo.com
    http://www.webceo.com

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread