The power of an alert...
    This morning at 4:19 am I blogged about a particular company (negatively, for the 2nd time), I won't say thier name or they'll end up here apparently, lol. It's easy to find out who. At 8:06 am I see a visit from them in my stats.

Now my blog, like most of my sites, receives very little traffic so in an ordinary internet world they'd have never known I had anything to say about them, good or bad. They must have a Google Alert, tracking blog SEs or something to let them know that quickly that they're being talked about.

The first blog post was early last year so I don't remember if they showed up then, but they definitely showed up this time.

I just find it interesting sometimes, even though I've been around the tech world for many, many moons and seen the birth of many an idea, how far along things have come that you can get that kind of near instant feedback about yourself or your company with little to no effort.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

A lot of the feed engines allow you to create a search feed for particular keywords. I use it to track information posted in blogs for merchants, clients and of course a "vanity" search for my name. It's a great way to find out what's being posted on particular topics without subscribing to hundreds of blogs that I'd never have the time to read.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    hum... I hadn't thought of an alert for my name, good idea
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    A lot of the feed engines allow you to create a search feed for particular keywords.
    -rematt
    What's a "feed engine" (as opposed to a search engine) and how does one create alerts?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What's a "feed engine" (as opposed to a search engine) and how does one create alerts?
    A feed engine is service that aggregates feeds from different sources. NewsGator, feed demon and Bloglines are examples. I use blog lines and the main advantage to me of using one of these is that I can search their feed library for feeds of interest as well as simply clicking a button on a feed (see bottom of page).

Another advantage of using an online aggregate is that I use 3 different systems including a tablet and it's great knowing that my feeds are always synchronized across all three systems.

-rematt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Cool. I have to check out NewsGator, feed demon, Bloglines and any others out there. Thanks for the tip
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Google Alerts
    I'm a big fan of Google Alerts, I use it to track my name and company and it sends me an email anytime it shows up on the web, very effective.

Here's the link: Google Alerts

Geofferson
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

Thanks for the link
    Specifics are important for those not in the know
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

almost all of my post get feed back imediately from a company positive or negative.

I get so many free trips and free stuff because of what I have written, I've had to rent a storage unit to keep it all lol

@Mike That's really cool

How does Technorati differ from a feed engine?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I don't know really don't bother with technorati much, but technorati just really uses the tags from your post that you submit to it, while an rss feed engine looks at the entire article.

a link I find in my blogs alot linking to various post etc is brandimensions.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread