Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Ad Blocking FireFox PlugIn
    Interesting article / brief I saw today... my bolding...

"Rising Ad Blocker Use Poses Risk to Web Content/Ad Stocks"
    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070904/46253_id.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Adblock Plus, a free browser plug-in which blocks website ads, now boasts 2.5 million users, according to its developer Wladimir Palant. Palant estimates that 300,000 to 400,000 new users download the ad blocker each month. Adblock Plus is the second most popular plug-in for Firefox. While ad blockers are also available for Internet Explorer, they aren't necessarily free or as effective. Adblock Plus blocks ads delivered by most commercial ad servers and large advertisers, and poses a threat to the revenue of Internet advertising companies such as Google, and Internet content companies such as Yahoo!, CNET, Microsoft, the New York Times, Time Warner and TheStreet.com. Some small web sites have retaliated by preventing access via the Firefox browser. One advocacy site, whyfirefoxisblocked.com, argues that "Accessing the content [of ad-supported web sites] while blocking the ads... would be no less than stealing." Web publishers haven't commented or responded, but that would likely change if adoption of ad blockers becomes significant. University of Chicago law professor Randal Picker predicts that the first response of web publishers would be technological rather than legal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Affiliate Manager
    > Some small web sites have retaliated by preventing access via the Firefox browser.

LOL. If they thought they were losing money before....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

This is why with in the next year I plan to get rid of ad networks on my site and replace them with an inhouse run adnetwork on my domain name so if they block an ad they block my site.

So it will force them to either enable and view 1 or 2 ads or block my entire site.

Why should we (affiliates) bother about it ? Adsense publishers should be concerned about it, not WE.
    I always save the banner which I am to use on my own server and use php redirect to the Aff Link, Its never ever blocked by any Ad Blocking plugin.

I've been using adblock for ages, but I only bother to add a filter for overly large & gross banners, or flash abominations that take long time to load and / or start making noise from the browser. Assuming most users would be as constructively lazy, lesson would be to make the ads within acceptable range, acceptable meaning not detracting from normal browsing expirience.

Oh, and I really hate pages like zdnet where you have 200 words content within a 100K text page, rest of the text are zillions of ads & links. But that's another story

ABW Ambassador
    I just added it to try it out. It really doesn't do too much. You dl the extension than subscribe to a filter, I picked one focusing on English Language sites and then I checked out my site. You can also block things other ways, didn't try those out. All my text links are fine. Performics banners are fine. They do filter CJ and Linkshare banners tho.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabz
    Why should we (affiliates) bother about it ? Adsense publishers should be concerned about it, not WE.
    sometimes, when you choose to ignore something, it creeps up on ya anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabz
    I always save the banner which I am to use on my own server and use php redirect to the Aff Link, Its never ever blocked by any Ad Blocking plugin.
    the plugin sits client side, in the browser. eventually, for affiliate tracking to work, even your redirect method passes an affiliate url to the browser.

i doubt this plugin will have a meaningful impact on us, but being on the lookout for the possible emergence of overzealous securityware is something i think is in our best interests.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread