http and a telephoto
    I made a Google Gadget
    It was easy! The free form one that is. Anyone else using them to market or drive traffic? I plan to do some for my merhants today... would love to hear how others are using them. Mine was for a personal site.

To see my gadget go here. It will get in the gadget directory in 10 days according to Google.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I was wondering this too. I have made around ten of these gadgets and most have gone no where. I have one for a travel (affiliate) company that gets around 1000 views a day amounting to a few click throughs a day and a sale or two a week. The inbound links are okay too. The way I look at it - gadgets are fast and easy to make and if you get one in the right place it just adds to the affiliate tapestry.

http and a telephoto
    http://www.google.com/apis/gadgets/

Here are the more complex gadgets instructions, not the drop and play easy ones. These would be the rss ones I was looking for.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Dave I think the value is getting people to your site using them, although I have seen a large nuumber of them today that have affiliate links built in. And they are not just for iGoogle, but there is a section of them that are made to be embedded in any website, those have my interest today. The most popular are ones that would be fun to make and are things people would add to their sites giving you a link back from other places than just google
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Dave I think the value is getting people to your site using them, although I have seen a large nuumber of them today that have affiliate links built in. And they are not just for iGoogle, but there is a section of them that are made to be embedded in any website, those have my interest today. The most popular are ones that would be fun to make and are things people would add to their sites giving you a link back from other places than just google

I agree that there is more than one reason to build a Gadget. In addition to the obvious affiliate linked widgets, I have created some "something of the day" rotators that are meant only to bring in traffic and inbounds - they worked great in the beginning but as new inventory enters the iGoogle cue, these gadgets tend to move into obscurity. I suppose that some folks are always looking for the newest and shinniest thing. Gadgets seem to be a mini version of any other of my web assets - time in creating them is only a fraction of the time spent promoting.

Okay, you guys. To those of us only remotely acquainted long ago with Google Gadgets, it's like a monkey (me) trying to understand as he overhears a conversation on physics or astronomy.

How in the world would you use Google Gadgets for affiliate marketing? Care to share some tips? Or perhaps a link/look at how it's being done?

Or would that be giving away some big secrets?
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Gary, to drive traffic to your site for one thing. And if I can figure out how to get an rss to randomize, will post instructions to make your own with your aff link in it.

Really cool thing, you can look at any other gadget code using the Google Gadget Editor and just edit pieces. So a merchant can make a gadget, and let their affiliates customize the code Like a widget on steriods. You could embed it in your own site, and allow others to embed it in theirs, AND have it available in the Gadget directory.

So you can do links to your site, or direct to merchant if you have content that is appropriate. Like the gazillion Imagekind images available to display in a nice rotation with links to the art at the site.... yeah, not quite there with that one yet.... lol.... but it's an idea!!!!!!
    Deborah Carney

Okay, okay -- thanks. Now I'm starting to get it.

I haven't done anything with Google Gadgets, though I remember looking through their site a year or so ago.

But, hey, now that I'm getting the old brain cells fired up, maybe I can figure out something to do with this.

Wonderful tools all over the Internet!
    Generate more fake news.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread