BookByte Affiliates - Every Book out of Stock....
    Every book they have shows out of stock, tells you to shop at StudentShopper or Amazon.
    http://www.bookbyte.com/browsesubjec...subjectid=1000

Check any book.

ABW Ambassador
    They should get the immediate boot out of the network. Reminds me of one of the cd merchants a few years ago that did something like that.

I was trying to find out if they owned StudentShopper too but it's Domains By Proxy.

ABW Ambassador
    Same company:

Bookbyte.com 2800 Pringle Rd. Salem, Oregon 97302

https://www.bookbyte.com/myaccountgen.aspx

StudentShopper.com-Copyright Agent, 2800 Pringle Rd SE, Suite 100, Salem OR 97302

http://www.studentshopper.com/Terms.aspx

I just emailed this thread to the affiliate contact in CJ. Let's see if they respond.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, nice work. So either way, it's going to their link or their other site. Option one, their other site with merchants they're affiliated with or Option 2, their Amazon link.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Every book they have shows out of stock, tells you to shop at StudentShopper or Amazon.
    http://www.bookbyte.com/browsesubjec...subjectid=1000

Check any book.
    Hello,

We are not out of stock on every book, we have a large percentage of textbooks but we are currently not very deep into the trade market. If you are a member of our CJ.com affiliate program and are worried we are dishing off your traffic just add the following parameter/value combination to your Bookbyte links.

"?noredirect=true"
    Example: http://www.bookbyte.com/product.aspx...oredirect=true

Any traffic with that value should no longer be shown the option to leave our site when we are out of stock. This has been done already on your behalf for many of the CJ.com links.

Please let me know if you have any further comments or questions.
    Last edited by bookbyte; September 4th, 2007 at 02:58 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    They certainly are doing a lot of business on Ebay.

http://myworld.ebay.com/bookbyte/

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you for responding. Neither your CJ Advertiser Detail nor your affiliate information page on your website mention any of that. The CJ Advertiser Detail also says "We currently have in stock approximately 300,000 books."

This is deceptive and should be communicated to all of your affiliates.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Did anyone check the Student Shopper site to see if they're overwriting Book Byte cookies?

ABW Ambassador
    "We are not out of stock on every book,"

What percentage do you think you're out of stock of? I tried about 15 random and they were all out of stock and the 2 options were your Amazon link or your other site (the domain by proxy site). So maybe it's not literally every single book but maybe what percentage? 90%+? It's book buying season and you could be getting lots of traffic from affiliates and it's just getting shuttled off to your links/site.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Thank you for responding. Neither your CJ Advertiser Detail nor your affiliate information page on your website mention any of that. The CJ Advertiser Detail also says "We currently have in stock approximately 300,000 books."

This is deceptive and should be communicated to all of your affiliates.
    Snowman,

I see what your saying, that language has remained unchanged for several years and does not correctly describe our current business model. While we do have access to those titles through our wholesale relationships we find that during certain times of the year the prices are uncompetitive.

-Edit-
    I've changed our CJ advertiser details.

ABW Ambassador
    What about:

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    What percentage do you think you're out of stock of? I tried about 15 random and they were all out of stock and the 2 options were your Amazon link or your other site (the domain by proxy site). So maybe it's not literally every single book but maybe what percentage? 90%+? It's book buying season and you could be getting lots of traffic from affiliates and it's just getting shuttled off to your links/site.

"We are not out of stock on every book,"

Trust,

I assume you were testing with random mass market titles, we are pretty thin on these at the moment but we also plan on dramatically increasing our stock in the next few months. For the time being we are mostly a textbook venue but I hope to change that. Visitors are only prompted to shop at StudentShopper or Amazon when our inventory is out of stock or not competitive, at this time of year its more of the latter as we are focused on textbooks. This was not designed to affect our affiliate relationships in anyway, just increase ROI on return visitors and search engine traffic. I've noticed none of your profiles have website names, are you mainly advertising trade titles?

What about:
    Trust,

This will be my last post for a few hours but retry that URL with &noredirect=true and start clicking the books.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bookbyte
    Hello,

We are not out of stock on every book, we have a large percentage of textbooks but we are currently not very deep into the trade market. If you are a member of our CJ.com affiliate program and are worried we are dishing off your traffic just add the following parameter/value combination to your Bookbyte links.

"?noredirect=true"

Any traffic with that value should no longer be shown the option to leave our site when we are out of stock. This has been done already on your behalf for many of the CJ.com links.

That doesn't work. In the CJ interface, clicking on View Destination Page lands on http://www.bookbyte.com/default.aspx?noredirect=true but navigating through the site still brings up the Temporarily Out of Stock message with links to StudentShopper and Amazon.

Even most of your "Featured" titles are out of stock. From your top 10 featured items list:

bookbyte.com/browsesubjects.aspx?subjectid=1000

Eight out of ten are out of stock.

With all of the links to StudentShopper and Amazon, it's pretty clear to me that you're not a book seller. You're an affiliate / price comparison site who happens to sell a few books as a small side business.

It's fine if you have a small selection. You site should only show the products you have in stock. If you legitimately want to be a merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hello,

"?noredirect=true"

This is an unacceptable solution. You need to check to see if the customer has an affiliate cookie and hide your leaks on every page they visit, not just the landing page.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    This is an unacceptable solution. You need to check to see if the customer has an affiliate cookie and hide your leaks on every page they visit, not just the landing page.

- Scott
    Scott,

That was our original solution but as far as we can tell their is no way to programmatically determine wether a user has an affiliate cookie or not. CJ has told us only they can determine that at this point. Is that untrue, could you provide me with an example?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Even most of your "Featured" titles are out of stock. From your top 10 featured items list:

bookbyte.com/browsesubjects.aspx?subjectid=1000

Eight out of ten are out of stock.

With all of the links to StudentShopper and Amazon, it's pretty clear to me that you're not a book seller. You're an affiliate / price comparison site who happens to sell a few books as a small side business.

It's fine if you have a small selection. You site should only show the products you have in stock. If you legitimately want to be a merchant.
    That subject area is for all books, which I said earlier we are lean on. We dont get much traffic to that section, most traffic flows into the textbook subject categories which we are quite strong in. We are a book seller, just primarily textbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    That doesn't work. In the CJ interface, clicking on View Destination Page lands on http://www.bookbyte.com/default.aspx?noredirect=true but navigating through the site still brings up the Temporarily Out of Stock message with links to StudentShopper and Amazon.
    Thanks for pointing this out Snowman, it has been patched and updated if you wish to try again.

Scott,

That was our original solution but as far as we can tell their is no way to programmatically determine wether a user has an affiliate cookie or not. CJ has told us only they can determine that at this point. Is that untrue, could you provide me with an example?
    You can just use that indicator in the URL to set a session of your own to flag the user as an affiliate customer. This may be what you just did to solve Snowman's issue. In any event you shouldn't even be listing products that are out of stock.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    You can just use that indicator in the URL to set a session of your own to flag the user as an affiliate customer. This may be what you just did to solve Snowman's issue. In any event you shouldn't even be listing products that are out of stock.

- Scott

We do not list out of stock books in our CJ product catalog. Since this is a CJ affiliate forum I thought I might mention this since most of you are probably aware of this feature on their site.

ABW Ambassador
    The noredirect parameter should be in every single link through CJ. It's only present on a handful of the text and banner links and as far as I can tell none of the product links.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread