In preparation for Christmas 2003I thought I would ask a question. I've read a few posts in here about getting radio, T.V., newspaper, and possibly magazine coverage on your website. All that I have read indicates a huge jump in traffic and sales. So, here is the question:

Have any of you pursued media coverage? If so, how do you do it? Do you just call the local columnist for the paper? What have you done to actively promote for the free coverage?

Thanks
    Steve

ABW Ambassador
    I have a coupon code site and what i did that worked great was email the local tv stations about my site. One actually came out to my house in the morning and did a segment on the news later that evening. Try local tv stations, newspapers, a lot like to help out local businesses.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

steveinid,

Free media coverage. There's nothing better!

In our case we had media related inquiries and jumped on them. Over the holidays we were approached by a guy who does holiday gift and gadget segments for daytime talk shows. We paid attention and he got us a segment on the Wayne Brady Show... for FREEEEEEE. Very nice. We had another cable based program do a segment on our company and products as well. In both cases we provided product to get the segment.

Here's how this relates. The media is looking for a story. Something of interest to their audience. Something that will help them sell advertising. If there's something exciting or controversial about your products/services that will help sell ads, then you've got a shot. In our case there's a buzz about electric scooters... "they're the next new fad to hit the nation."

What about your products/services is exciting or controversial? Do a good job figuring that out then send out press releases on a regular basis making the media aware of this.

The most creative dot com example of creating a buzz I recall was the Pets.com sock puppet law suit. Pets.com sued The Conan O'Brien Show claiming Triumph the Insult Dog was a rip off of their sock puppet. This was EXTREMELY interesting and got Pets.com a lot of media attention... for the cost of filing for a law suit. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to save Pets.com from going .bomb... but you get the idea.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If there's something exciting or controversial about your products/services that will help sell ads, then you've got a shot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More accurately...

If there's something exciting or controversial about your products/services that will help GENERATE AUDIENCE INTEREST... THEREBY INCREASING THE POPULARITY OF THAT MEDIA SOURCE... THEREBY INCREASING THAT MEDIA SOURCES ABILITY TO MAKE MONEY SELLING ADS, then you've got a shot.

So, think about it like this. What about your products/services will help the media source (Rolling Stone in this case) make more money selling advertising???

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If there's something exciting or controversial about your products/services that will help GENERATE AUDIENCE INTEREST... THEREBY INCREASING THE POPULARITY OF THAT MEDIA SOURCE... THEREBY INCREASING THAT MEDIA SOURCES ABILITY TO MAKE MONEY SELLING ADS, then you've got a shot.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good point. I never thought of it like that. I always considered it from a human interest angle.

Thanks
    Steve

As it's often been said, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

One additional plus to getting media coverage, whether newspaper, TV, or Radio - most also have web sites that they highlight their recent stories, including links to websites they've discussed. And guess what - those media sites have high page ranks! Which means you accomplish that seemingly impossible goal of getting a link from a high-ranking site!

L4

Personal motto - In every situation, leave someone or something better than you found it.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread