Best Practice To Stop Using A Feed?
    "There must be 50 ways to leave your" merchant. Should you try to salvage the traffic even though you might not have related products? Maybe just a real nice custom 404 page?

I am thinking big database users with dynamic sites have crossed this bridge many times, and I have a merchant I'm getting ready to say bye to.

This should be a big issue, not only for the big database users but also for the new users.

I am not a big database users, however I have been thinking this case for over a year ago. So far I only have a simple conclusion in using or even deciding to use merchantís datafeed. My conclusion leads to the degree of merchantís firmness to value their network and their AM respectively.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

Quote Originally Posted by IRS
    This should be a big issue, not only for the big database users but also for the new users.
    Might have posted at a bad time and it went under unnoticed.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Obviously it depends on circumstances which can be very variable, but the only feed I ever used in an automated fashion was for a toy and game merchant that went under rather spectacularly last year. *koff spilsbury* I tried to salvage the section but ended up nuking it entirely. I realized that the time it would have taken to salvage the section was better spent working on more profitable activities.

The main thing to consider is how your time is best spent. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I tried to salvage the section but ended up nuking it entirely.
    When you pulled the pages did you let the traffic go 404 or did you 301 to some other page?

With the 404 the user would get a choice. With the redirect they would get a surprise. Clicking a search result for "Mighty Roach" brings them to a toys category page.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    When you pulled the pages did you let the traffic go 404 or did you 301 to some other page?
    I let the traffic go. I'm not slick enough to know how to do fancy redirects. Like I said, I decided to use my time more wisely. But if you're getting good traffic to those pages I suppose you could try to salvage that with a redirect.

When I have a dedicated product page and the product becomes unavailable, if I can't replace it easily, I'll put a message up that says something like, "Sorry, this product is no longer available. Please take a look at XYZ product." And I'll have a clickable link to another page. But I don't like surprising my visitors so I rarely use redirects.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread