Hi,

I co-own an internet retail site which sells pregnancy/ovulation predictor kits. We're considering starting an affiliate program w/commission junction.

My question: Is it worthwhile for a company like ours which sells such a specialized product? And will publishers actually sign up for our program? We would certainly do our best to make the payout attractive.

I usually am game for trying new promotional strategies, but the cost to sample this particular medium is rather large [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

I'd like to hear some feedback from some of you in the trenches.....

Thanks!

-Kurkel

ABW Ambassador
    If you are apprehensive about the cost of 'sampling this medium' I would suggest that you take a look at a less costly option. (sorry if my English is not too good at 4 in the morning)

Take a look at Shareasale, where you can get started for just a couple hundred bucks.

Also there is a member here who 'specializes', so to speak, in the type of items you are offering. I cannot speak for him so I will leave it to him to answer your post if he is interested, but I'll mention it to him if he does not notice it here.

Just because my domain is open to the public, does not make its contents public domain! ~ Ice

ABW Ambassador
    I'd have to agree. It may be pretty costly to sign up such a product with CJ.

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

Hi, Kurkel!

We sell that in the Norwegian market, online only. We are having some success, but have decided not to start an affiliate program for now.

We're still in our first business year, and we're taking things a bit easy to not waste our investment.

Another reason is that we already "own" a large part of the traffic we're interested in from a set of large sites we run. 'Our' internet isn't as large as the English part of it. There are not that many affiliates to get hold of either.

We are not interested in competing in the US.
    For now.

I will say that one problem is the size of each order. In cash. The average order is quite small, unless you give some very good reasons for buying 3 months supply or more. This means a small commission. Not very attractive. If you can afford to pay commission from repeat customers you'll gain an advantage. There's nothing like getting paid 3-20 times for the same customer!

You can run the program in-house to save on costs, and give better commission. But then you have to use a lot of resources on finding affiliates.

There are also cheaper networks than CJ. Like the others said, you can have a go at one of the smaller networks without burning too much cash. You can always progress to the larger networks later.

Another revenue opportunity:

Infertility discussion boards would probably love you as a sponsor if you can compete on price and quality. But I feel the girls are very picky! At least here up north.

Hope this is of some help.

kurkel,

Hi and welcome to ABW!

quote:
    I co-own an internet retail site which sells pregnancy/ovulation predictor kits. We're considering starting an affiliate program w/commission junction.

My question: Is it worthwhile for a company like ours which sells such a specialized product? And will publishers actually sign up for our program? We would certainly do our best to make the payout attractive.

I usually am game for trying new promotional strategies, but the cost to sample this particular medium is rather large [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

I'd like to hear some feedback from some of you in the trenches.....

Thanks!

-Kurkel

If I may, you have to realize that educated affiliates are capable of selling anything from beer to zombies online, they are professional marketers. Your product, being a niche, is a prime candidate for affiliates to SELL!

Which ever network you select for your marketing should be along the lines of quality affiliate recruiting, not price. As I explained to a merchant the other day, who can pay $15 (through a broker) a lead or ($7++ and bonus) for affiliate transactions is making out like a king. Affiliate marketing is about cost per acquisition and lowering it overall. once you have the right people marketing your product/offering you'll see the ROI.

The effectiveness of your campaign will be the network, the ad network terms (eg. cookies, payout and bonuses) and your terms [in house] (eg. use of TMs etc).

Bottom line is that you should research the networks to see who would best fit your needs, as described) and formulate your program so that it is symbiotic for all.

Continued Success,

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Hello all,

Thanks for the great feedback - all of you. I truly appreciate it. It's great to have all these seasoned brains to pick..... And great to find a fellow pregnancy/ovulation vendor!

OveB, you're right on about transaction size. It tends toward the small side. (Our average is $16.) In light of this, is 15% a decent commission in your opinion, with the opportunity for repeat buys - a common occurrence.

We will indeed research additional affiliate management companies as well. Shareasale was mentioned, and I'll certainly look into that.

Thanks again, all.

-Kurkel

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by kurkel:

I'm a firm believer in an AM's ability to sell anything.

While the item price is small, a 15% commission and recurring sales would be a huge start. And if you sell/ship worldwide, that'd be enough for me to join.

If you do, please send me a private mail and I'll give you a try.

btw, you don't need CJ to try the waters out. You can go with an internal program and just search for AM's here.

(at least I think Haiko allows that.)
    http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

ABW Ambassador
    I sell everything from exercise equipment, motherboards, jewelry, and futons, to televisions, stereos, cosmetics,kitchenware, perfume, magazines, and toys. I believe CJ is the best. I would choose a merchant from the CJ network before I would somewhere else. Consolidated commission payments is the main reason, along with real time reporting, that makes it very inviting to use their network of advertisers.

Your offers, cookie duration, and the demand for your prosducts/services will play a big part in which affiliates sign-up for your program. These affiliates may not have a content site that matches your products/services, but they will promote your site if it makes them money. I would suggest you use the epc rating CJ offers. I have five dollar signs (the best rating). I have nothing but pages full of advertisements and promotions. I sell stuff - period. My revenue has quadrupled in the last year.I will continue to grow in the next year.

The niche your site/products/services fill will play a big part, too. For your affiliates, this will be a plus, especially to the ones who know how to sell. They will find the targetted traffic through se optimization, ppc, and link exchanges. If your products/services are not oversaturated on the web, like books for example, you will find the right people to sell your stuff. Make content ads, ineractive/search ads, and provide your affiliates with the flexibility to edit links.

Best wishes,
    Big Chuck

Big Chuck

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread