Just a question for anyone pulling in around 10k per month.

My work load is completely full just keeping my sites as updated as possible and including datafeeds I've got nearly every product under the sun in my offerings. I've got a yearly subscription to wordtracker and make very good use of it but I still can't manage to break the invisible barrier. I thought I was going to make it at the start of this year but sales soon fell off after about two weeks. I assumed the higher than normal sales were the tail end of the holiday shopping season.

Is there a time management secret that I'm missing or do you hire people to take on the workload that's required to make that many sales?

[This message was edited by Heyder on February 06, 2003 at 12:23 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm really starting to wonder if this datafeed stuff is any kind of panacea for small affiliates like us. Most of the time I spend online is just screwing around, and I only put in about 10 hours a week of honest page-building effort, but just broke the 10K barrier in January. On pace to do it again this month.

I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, but the more stories I hear, the more convinced I am that we are better off doing optimized, hard-coded pages as opposed to the shotgun blast approach.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    You got me thinking now Mike. And there is something else that bears saying:

If it weren't for a few things that I learned from you, I would probably not be making much more than $200 a month if even that.

Some of the little things that work, work in a big way if they are applied constantly and consistently.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Can't manage it consistantly and I can't comment on the datafeed stuff as I haven't tried it.

I do know on a site per site basis my info product sites make more commiss with little updating.

I am aware of my perverse compulsion to 'sell stuff I like' and hope to get a grip on it in the very near future

The high maintanence 'mall' sites take up 95% of my time for 40% of the income as opposed to the info product sites.

Says she banging her head on the keyboard...

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

Affiliate Manager
    About half of our affiliates in that range do employ some sort of help. We have a few who eployed start up help on a contract basis (like setting up the xml feed or paing for a custom design) and now maintain on their own. It is interesting that the ones who handle it on their own are a varied group- some ppc and some free driven.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Couple of traffic-related questions.
    1)Those of you pulling in the big bucks, what kind of page views are your sites pulling in on a daily/monthly basis
    2)Are you monitoring click through rates for prominently placed products (e.g located at the top of the page) and if so, what guide do you use for keeping it up there or moving something else into that placement?

Thanks in advance!

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2)Are you monitoring click through rates for prominently placed products (e.g located at the top of the page) and if so, what guide do you use for keeping it up there or moving something else into that placement?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm monitoring sales first and keeping an eye on the click through rates. If its not selling, replace it with something that is. I've eliminated a lot of links that are getting high click throughs and slow sales and assuming some parasite is stealing my customer. Then I check to see if the merchant is associated with any of the parasites. If they are - they disappear.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My work load is completely full just keeping my sites as updated as possible <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've answered your own question here.

Solve the maintenance time problem and you can develop new sites and have the time to try out new ideas.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are you monitoring click through rates for prominently placed products (e.g located at the top of the page) and if so, what guide do you use for keeping it up there or moving something else into that placement? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, at least not with much scrutiny. Where I have particular products promoted, I promote all the products from that merchant! Those are the sections made with datafeeds, or sections where I have manually fished the name of every product from the merchant's site. No need to give a darn which particular item's selling (except for curiosity's sake), when you can just promote everything!

Pages which promote single merchants get just one merchant on a page, with only a couple of exceptions. Like if some merchant takes 3 months to approve, they just get a teensy link--at the bottom of a page dedicated to promoting somebody else!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

I haven't figgered out just what I'd *do* with the data feed anyway.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread