Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Page Size
    What do you think about these page sizes? Is page size still important now that most people use broadband to access the Internet?

• Up to 10K
    • 10-20K
    • 20-40K
    • 40-60K
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I don't think there's any noticeable difference in load time with any of the page sizes you mentioned, thanks to high speed Internet.

I do often wonder though if it's better to have 5 blog posts on the main page, or 10.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I do often wonder though if it's better to have 5 blog posts on the main page, or 10.
    That's an interesting question.

I think on one of my blogs I set the # to 13 (partly for symbolic reasons)

Some people don't mind a little scrolling -- some don't link to hunt for info on other pages

The reason I set my blog entries to slightly more than 10 is that I think the variety of posts are inviting and the posts possibly inspire the viewer/reader to look around?

I like to trap my brother's girlfriend in front of a computer and ask her usability questions
    She once said she didn't mind some scrolling as long as it wasn't too much -- the trick is to define how much scrolling down of a web page is too much?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I don't think there's any noticeable difference in load time with any of the page sizes you mentioned, thanks to high speed Internet.
    I have so many affiliate merchant partners that I'm trying to be fair in terms of exposure. When I sign up with an AM I have every intention of promoting that AM's merchandise, I just have to get around to doing it -- and I will, but it takes time.

I manually create the websites with Dreamweaver MX and Photoshop. I don't know how to automate the process on the fly -- and one of the things I enjoy doing for each product I promote is to write something original about each product if I can.

I've been adding on more "sidebar banners" from different merchants and I see that doing so can add to the page's "weight" so I wondered about downloading/response time.

I've been creative with banner placement lately but sometimes I wonder from a download point of view and an aesthetic viewpoint what should be the limit of banners per page?
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 8th, 2007 at 01:26 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I see it as a function of interest. I often think that 10 will be more interesting than merely 5.

On the other hand, if you've cultivated an audience who waits with bated breadth for the next blog entry, a limit of entries on the page might give the blog a psychological impact. It depends on the blog & its topic.

If you are creating a story you might want to limit blog entries.
    If the blog's purpose is mainly to sell products, why limit the entries to 5?

People are more patient in terms of clicking an archive link to brush up on a "story" than they are to see what other widgets you're trying to sell to them

A "story" can have "soap opera-like elements" but that's not the only type.

If for example, you are really talented at some type of home improvement --all the steps that it takes to do the particular improvement combine into a story and limiting the entries to the blog would not be a "turn off" it would inspire people who are really interested to go through your archives --something similar to that can be applied to many types of topics.

Also I think this rule applies to selling things on blogs and the blog entries that appear visible at one time:

If you sell products $60 and below then show lots of entries (i.e. 10)

If you sell products $75 & up, limit the amount of visible entries

The amounts between $60 & $75 are "gray areas"

The topic of the blog also defines what should be shown in how many entries.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 8th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I wondered about that in terms of Photoshop artwork that I use on my pages.

When should nuance of design be sacrificed to a lesser quality copy of the photo/picture in order to optimize download time?
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 8th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

So when are one of you guys going to write something?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    So when are one of you guys going to write something?
    Geeze, how long has it been since 9:55 PM (Pacific time and 12:55 AM Eastern time) on a Friday night, with 5 posts since then?

Maybe they're all busy making love or are out partying. There, I wrote something.

ABW Ambassador
    How much caffeine have you had tonight?

All those page sizes are fine That's all I'm saying.

it's hard to follow that post on a friday night WW but,

Rhia your asking about pages size and some of my images are larger than that as part of the page ;-)

I just finished a site with a huge flash header for a client...the flash header alone was 300k...I don't fully believe the stats i saw backing up that 90% some percent of the visitors were going to be high speed, but the site is already producing for them ;-) I just tested the total load time at about 7 seconds including the flash anything over 20-30 seconds and your playing with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    She once said she didn't mind some scrolling as long as it wasn't too much -- the trick is to define how much scrolling down of a web page is too much?
    I'm currently taking a class on Web Design, and we covered this question. The Answer: 2 pages. Here is a quote from my web design book:

"Generally, you should create Web pages no longer than two screens of information. This guideline is based on the fact that most people find reading and remembering the context of information beyond two screens difficult."

Sorry, but I wouldn't put much trust in what a book has to say about Internet trends. Even if it was published just last month, the author probably wrote it a few months ago... and it's probably already outdated.

Actually, I thought mrbshouse & Lanadili had interesting takes on the situation.

As for caffeine, there is nothing more stimulating than a post from RickPlmr -- his question about blog entries gave breadth and depth to the basic question about page size

[I thrive on snappy banter -- I've been in situations where someone says something and that is followed immediately by something interesting from someone else -- I am in perpetual pursuit of snappy banter]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhea,

I've been ripping banners off my sites as time permits - and have removed them completely from my main money-making site. Conversions have gone up considerably on that site - all from text links embedded in the articles I write.

I think sidebar banners are either ignored by many users, or make them feel like you're trying to sell them something.

For usability testing, I like to watch what other popular sites do. I've trimmed my main page down to 5 posts based on what I see on a lot of other sites.

If you are creating a story you might want to limit blog entries.
    If the blog's purpose is mainly to sell products, why limit the entries to 5?
    Because I seem to have better luck selling things when I don't come across like I'm trying to sell things.

For usability testing, I like to watch what other popular sites do. I've trimmed my main page down to 5 posts based on what I see on a lot of other sites.
    Interesting -- would you do the same for static web pages too that are not blogs?

Do banners have a decorative effect or no?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Depends on the banner, but I think that what _I think_ is decorative will probably be interpreted as annoying or "salesy" to a visitor. I especially thought banners were decorative a year ago when I started in this business... I figured "wow, people will LOVE my site with all these cool looking Adobe banners all over the place". But I never sold a single product from Adobe.

I only have blogs or forums with articles, but I would think static pages should be limited to one single topic per page. (clearly an unqualified answer that others with more experience in this area could answer better).

Because I seem to have better luck selling things when I don't come across like I'm trying to sell things.
    But people do click on side banners from time to time -- what else is there to put in a side column besides navigational links?

One situation: I signed with a niche merchant because his product is loosely related to a main topic of mine and I want to write essays on how the general product he carries influenced this topic but I haven't written the essays yet.
    I put a "vert banner size link featuring one of his products" that fits into my secondary column and people have clicked on it -- that's better than giving that merchant zero exposure.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

True, and I'm probably on the other side of the pendulum swing where I've ripped them all off and have seen conversions go up. I'd rather have consistent sales from text links than an occasional sale from a banner link.

Actually, I thought mrbshouse & Lanadili had interesting takes on the situation.
    Me too btw

As for caffeine, there is nothing more stimulating than a post from RickPlmr -- his question about blog entries gave breadth and depth to the basic question about page size
    Thanks for the kind words Rhia (and sorry for the mispelling of your name above). You have WAY more experience in this field than I do, and I have much to learn from you.

One situation: I signed with a niche merchant because his product is loosely related to a main topic of mine and I want to write essays on how the general product he carries influenced this topic but I haven't written the essays yet.
    I put a "vert banner size link featuring one of his products" that fits into my secondary column and people have clicked on it -- that's better than giving that merchant zero exposure.
    Have those clicks converted though?

And is that exposure you're giving him coming at the expense of conversions from text links in your article?

I think it's the combined additive effect of everything on your page that puts the visitor into a "sounds great, I'm ready to buy" vs "fine, I'll click but I'm suspiscious" attitude (which doesn't convert very often).

Not that banners always take away from that, but it seems to be the case more often than not for me.

Have those clicks converted though?
    Not yet

And is that exposure you're giving him coming at the expense of conversions from text links in your article?
    It's an interesting product that has been made into a side bar link (from a SAS merchant) -- if I wrote essays about the history of the product and the relation to X, then it would be easy to see why I chose what I chose. In the meantime at least the merchant is getting some exposure (some merchants get annoyed when nothing is placed at all).

I'd like magical powers so that I could create web pages as fast as my thoughts think of them. I create pages/sites on a variety of topics -- and I plan to fulfill each idea (it just takes a while).

To include banners or not to include -- that is the question. The whole thing is just trial and error and reminds me of a Clash song
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I figured "wow, people will LOVE my site with all these cool looking Adobe banners all over the place". But I never sold a single product from Adobe.
    Your posts make me laugh -- I find your posts entertaining.

Plus there's usually a lesson to be learned behind the laughter.

P.S. It is interesting posts I am after -- I'm not after people in person
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks - if I don't make _myself_ laugh while I'm writing it, then I sometimes won't even post it.

Work should be fun, right?

Not that banners always take away from that, but it seems to be the case more often than not for me.
    What about banners that alert consumers to specials? Free shipping banners, 2 for 1, etc...?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast