The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    A "Really Good" Affiliate Summit Suggestion
    Shawn and Missy,

Twice a year, you have the industry heads gathered all together, all at the same place, at the same time.

The tone of threads here over the last year has been "That's in the gray area - networks need to define what it is."

The "what constitutes a click" thread come to mind.

and this was just posted in another thread: "The sad thing is that I have some merchants that don't give deals or coupons, and yet liars pretend to have their coupons just to stuff a cookie and beat the honest affiliate."

If you could pick ONE topic, and find a way to allocate a 1/2 hour each summit, (15 minutes of hearing the differeng opinions and 15 minutes of network heads reaching a decision), then twice a year the entire industry would have one single issue resolved.

Think about it... if the first topic was "What defines a click" and they made a decision, even if we don't like the answer, at least we would know what we were allowed to do... and we could move on.

I like the idea. Not sure 15 minutes would be enough to reach a consensus on some issues (even if we're talking arriving at universal definitions of key affiliate marketing terms), but the idea is definitely a good one. It would benefit the industry for sure.

Geno

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    BK, I love it ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think you can get a universal on this. Unless you get all the networks to agree and spell it out and make each merchant adhere to those rules but for the most part networks have their rules and the merchants have their own rules too and ultimately they're going to decide how they run their program. But clear rules would be nice. The ultimate agreement tho is between the merchant and affiliate and whatever they're both comfortable with. Anybody outside of that really doesn't matter. Unless again if it's a network rule, one that a merchant/affiliate would have to follow for those in that network or they would get removed from the network. Indy programs make whatever rules they want.

Also keep in mind if you're wanting networks to decide on such matters, these are the same networks that have no shortage of adware in them. Affiliates are usually going to decide on whatever's favorable to their business model. Such as ones on PPC bidding or Trademarks etc.
    Last edited by Trust; September 9th, 2007 at 06:53 PM.

It could start out with EASY topics, like people who post coupons that say "This -is-Connies-Coupon" or Enter "Todd-Martinis-exclusive-coupon" in coupon box.

Surely we can get the network brass to agree that's wrong and agree on a "punishment".

That ONE EASY decision would do more to clean up the coupon site business model then anything done over the last 5 years.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    If you could pick ONE topic, and find a way to allocate a 1/2 hour each summit, (15 minutes of hearing the differeng opinions and 15 minutes of network heads reaching a decision), then twice a year the entire industry would have one single issue resolved.
    Sounds great to me, but do you think the networks would realistically make a decision on the spot?
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Two things...

1. If we make the first question easy enough (not a discussion of what is a parasite) but something easy like can we all use Connie's exclusive coupon code, the networks won't be put on the spot and

2. They can have advance notice to prepare the response. Make a poll here or on your site and have people choose from 3 topics to get resolved

My theory is... if at each summit we can get the networks to all agree and resolve one issue, then they can all make a joint press announcement and all look good, then over time it may be "habit forming" and they can move on to tuffer problems after seeing the industry success of solving the little ones.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Being fairly new around here I am surprised that there is not more universal policy that has been agreed upon. The problem, I suppose, is that certain sites that have been around a while generate a large volume of business. Merchants are afraid to cut that off although in most cases the customer will find what they were looking for through sites that are not abusive.

But I have watched the discussions on things as simple as gift cards and there is bitter disagreement on even that. Not sure a panel could be put together that would both represent the universe of am's AND come to some basic agreements.

Would be nice in a perfect world, though, to know we could all compete on an even playing field.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

That's why the key word is EASY problem.

For example, affiliates who totally make up coupon codes - we've all seen them.

There is NO WAY the networks could say "We approve of this" (and I'm failrly certain their big affiliates are NOT the ones using this tactic)

We get them to all agree it's bad and agree on a universal punishment. Ideally, kicked out of the industry would be ideal, but i'd be happy if they just get a "Temporary Removal Notification" for a week each time.

I agree that it would take considerably longer than one meeting and 15-30 minutes. Networks have to check with "Legal" before they do anything. Also, a quick decision like that would likely miss many aspects of most issues.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    BK,

I love the idea - but agree with you that things need to be small at least to start with. The problem as I see it with these issues is that the more complicated ones do not have simple solutions because things change so fast and those solutions become obsolete... Policy needs to be flexible enough to adapt to new technology that comes on board, etc...

Anyhow, I'd be all for it - I think discussions are the only way that all of us can really understand all of the angles on these issues as we all tend to only consider the ones that affect us everyday.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Am I the only one getting this alert everytime I open this thread?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    All works fine for me in both FF and IE.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    i don't get it either.

But as far as this topic, we know the stance of the merchants/aff mgmt co's, which is that they're okay with status-quo, and we're not going to wake them up so easily... So I prefer more forward thinking sessions at the affiliate summits, such as best practices, and so on..

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    I prefer more forward thinking sessions at the affiliate summits, such as best practices, and so on..
    There are a couple keynotes and 20 or so sessions - plenty of space for any interesting ideas.

One thing we were throwing around in the advisory board for Affiliate Summit is to have a keynote that's something of a soap box - affiliates, merchants, networks could vent.

Appropriate parties could respond, but the issues would be out there to the audience regardless.

Anyhow, all are encouraged to submit speaking proposals at http://www.affiliatesummit.com/08w_speakers.php
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

But as far as this topic, we know the stance of the merchants/aff mgmt co's, which is that they're okay with status-quo
    And you know this for a fact????????

You've spoken with EVERY network, every merchant, every aff management company?

You actually ASKED them this???

And each one said "I'm happy with the Status Quo?"

Show us some examples

I have not done a fully comprehensive survey, but I've sent messages and talked to my contacts at the major aff co's, and to several merchants over the years. When I have gotten a response, the answers are just that they'll bring it up internally, or they blow it off as such a small amount of transactions affected.
    I've talked about other sites using my sites exclusive coupons too, and they say, that it's just the nature of the web. (some say that the other site won't get commission, but a few will credit me with the sale.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread