After all the sound and fury over the so called "Esclusion List", have there been any further developments? I haven't checked around here much lately, but I was just wondering if its available and, if so, how to get on it.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

I haven't heard anything on it.

ABW Ambassador
    I think they found it unpracticable and dropped that idea

carneol

P.S.: BLFH I am still waiting for your explanation of parasite action in the private topics

Well, Heyder, if anything was happening, you'd be one of the first to know. Haiko?

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

ABW Ambassador
    I posted the same question 2 days ago with no response.

Bump. Haiko, is this a dead issue now?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I wanted to make sure I had a definite answer for the question.

Pursuant to a complete reversal in the agreement of the manner in which the exclusion list would be created, implemented and protected, I have decided to terminate all activities regarding the exclusion list.

It is my suggestion that the respective parasitic operators create a submission form on their site with a real TOA so that independent affiliates can easily protect their sites without the need of recoding.

The exclusion list as first discussed could have been a viable alternative for affiliate protection, it is indeed a shame that the other parties did a complete 180 degree turn. It appears that my efforts were for naught and that their impetus was to disrupt and separate our community, but it is far better to try and fail, then not try at all!

Shortly, the networks will be making a statement regarding compliance and the methods for protecting affiliate links, including server-side redirects

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like your noble efforts to something pro-active got nixed as it threatened a revenue base for the BHO perps. Good try and now we await the networks taking a bite out of the BHO crime.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, that sure was a lot of arguing among us for nothing

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Thanks for the update Haiko.

Just because we did not do this does not mean we are not on the right track. Your original posting of this ideas created many new ideas and got us thinking as a group. That is very productive. Perhaps we should start a Stop Parasites Think Tank forum to keep the ball moving.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that the other parties did a 180 degree turn. They've never stood behind anything that they've said, it seems.

They said they wouldn't overwrite affiliate links, but OOPS!!! right during the busy Holiday shopping season, there's a "software problem" that has them stumped. It seems it is, after all, overwriting other affiliate links. But they didn't shut down, did they?

I don't think they care. They're making money. It will indeed be interesting to see what the networks decide to do on the 10th.

Face it, this problem is not going to go away until push comes to shove!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the update Haiko.

Is the NYT writer who broke the original list story going to do a follow up article?

This just goes to show (again) how immensely important our affiliate sites are to the parasites. They cannot even exclude a relatively small list of sites.

We (your members) aint the kind of people to say we told you so but.....

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haiko said:
    It appears that my efforts were for naught and that their impetus was to disrupt and separate our community, but it is far better to try and fail, then not try at all!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, over the time that the issue of parasites has been around many ideas for solutions have been brainstormed. Some have meet with success, some have not, and some have been disgarded almost immediately. That's going to be the nature of the beast when dealing with an issue such as this. The main point is to never lose focus and never give up!

Looking back over the last year, progress has been made. Granted there is still much further to go, but there are incidents where affiliate links are not being overwritten by particular programs or under certain circumstances. We should never become blind to the positive that has happened when looking towards what still needs to be done.

As to the impetus of disrupting and dividing our community...score one for the other side. But then that seems to be quite an easy one for them whenever they decide to make that attempt..... That really is a shame.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>7-days said:
    Perhaps we should start a Stop Parasites Think Tank forum to keep the ball moving.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's been in place. It's the Private Parasite Forum...borne out of concerns by members of this community that "thinking" in public was only tipping our hand to the opposition. But the public Parasiteware forum is still open and available....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>oogachaka said:
    We (your members) aint the kind of people to say we told you so but..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, didn't realize you were my spokes personn....maybe I'll agree to that when you bother to log in and post here under your known ABW screen name instead of an alias.

Regardless, under whatever screen name you decide to post under, how about some constructive posts with your thoughts regarding viable solutions to issues? Those are always welcomed for discussion. Or if you are concerned of the information being seen by people who shouldn't, just pass it on to someone who is a member of the Parasiteware forum for discussion and follow-up.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Sorry it didn't work out Haiko.

I know you put a lot of time and effort into this.

So here's a BIG Thankyou for at least trying.

Cow Patch...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Regardless of the ups and downs of ABW subjects the overall voice remains effective and getting louder. Haiko -BLFH and others stay consistant in their understanding that affiliates performing actual work for merchants need to be compensated for their efforts. A nice series of articles at Clickz overviews the BHO's attempts at ruling the networks.

Regulating Chaos, Part 3: Adware, Merchants, and Affiliates Speak Out
    http://www.clickz.com/aff_mkt/aff_mk...le.php/1580691

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Saw that article . Great job Mike Hyland!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread