Effects of Malls
    I don't know if it's okay to post the name of the site I'm speaking of specifically... but there's a site that allows users to sign up for their own "malls," and earn income from them. You sign up, name your mall, and set up shop (basically pages and pages of blinking banners... no content whatsoever). I checked it out, and it's basically affiliates (but most don't know what that means, I'm sure). They sign up, and are given a free affiliate site ("mall") with which they earn commission. My question is.... with sites like these being so easy to set up (they're automatic, just plug in your name of choice), and FREE, do you think it will affect traditional affiliates?

My thoughts: Since Suzy Public can sign up for her own mall, she will then encourage her friends to 1) shop at her mall or 2) register their own free mall (their commissions are tiered), will they even bother to read other affiliate sites/blogs? Or will they read, see products, then go to their own "malls" to purchase so that they can get commission off their purchases?

With such a boom in these affiliate sites (stay at home moms are scrambling to create their own free cash-making malls).... will traditional, content-writing, traffic driving affiliates numbers see any effects?

Your thoughts?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It might have a detrimental watering-down effect on "real" mall sites. I doubt these people will make much money because they won't have a clue how to get traffic to their mall, other than to ask family and friends to shop there. It might be a boon for small non-profits who need a way to generate some income (assuming they can think outside the traditional NPO mentality of asking for money rather than figuring out how to earn it themselves.)

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onecrazymom
    With such a boom in these affiliate sites (stay at home moms are scrambling to create their own free cash-making malls).... will traditional, content-writing, traffic driving affiliates numbers see any effects?

Your thoughts?

I think the two types of sites are mutally exclusive and should not have much of a bearing on the other. Two different types of customers.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    "do you think it will affect traditional affiliates?"

Not at all, not any good ones because the sites you just mentioned are probably only going to get traffic from friends and family. Or they might try PPC and lose a lot of money. They're template type malls that usually do nothing in the search engines. It' really no competition to those who make their own sites and put in the work. The only people really making the money are the ones selling these malls.

The malls are not designed to be strong in the search engines. They market themselves through word of mouth. Different animals. Different approaches.

Think of them as pyramid scheme and might I say pyramids where are pyramids now. The only ones that people want anything to do with are the ones in Egypt.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    The malls are not designed to be strong in the search engines. They market themselves through word of mouth. Different animals. Different approaches.
    Those are usually the only type of traffic they're going to get but they usually don't get any at all because they're just template malls. Usually not something somebody is going to bookmark or pass on to their friends to take a look at. But the sites that actually do get the word of mouth are the good malls that people have built on their own. That's how I go into building my sites. I want them to do good in the search engines, want something I can do some PPC for, want to make something that will get word of mouth, something I can do offline advertising for, free and paid etc.

"With such a boom in these affiliate sites (stay at home moms are scrambling to create their own free cash-making malls).... will traditional, content-writing, traffic driving affiliates numbers see any effects?"

So no. Maybe you'll make a few bucks here and there every now and then but if you're hoping just to throw a template mall up and the money coming rolling in, not going to happen. But the people who sell these type of malls know there are plenty of people out there with those hopes and they target them and make good money off of them.

I don't think these types of sites have any bearing on custom shopping sites. Consumers are smart and they know a template site when they see one. They may look at it one time, but the stickiness just isn't there. They'll likely never return and continue to shop at their favorite shopping engines.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    The first post says it all:

"You sign up, name your mall, and set up shop (basically pages and pages of blinking banners... no content whatsoever)."

And read the first post again. Just garbage template banner sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    (basically pages and pages of blinking banners... no content whatsoever)."

Someone have a link to a site like that?

ABW Ambassador
    Here's an example:

allamericanemall.com

Click around, just mainly banners, text links here and there. Looks like one of my very first pages

Ahh ... thanks.

Not all mall sites are built the same : )

Thanks for all the responses. The site I was talking about was powermallpays.com. I guess they're not nearly as much of a threat as I first thought. All of the responses here made good, valid points. Thanks again!

ABW Ambassador
    After a quick look at that, it looks like they're giving you a portion of any purchases made thru the mall. For example Nursery Depot you would make 5.6% of every sale when they pay out 8% at CJ. So they get 2.4%, you get 5.6%. So that's why they're free to people, that's how they make their money. So they're not doing anything wrong but however you had plans to get traffic to those type of sites, you can get to your own site. If you don't know how, you can learn, which might take some time. But blogs are pretty easy for those just getting started and you can put up the same merchants and get the full percentage. But you found the right forum that you can learn about it all. So you're ahead of most people starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by onecrazymom
    Thanks for all the responses. The site I was talking about was powermallpays.com. I guess they're not nearly as much of a threat as I first thought. All of the responses here made good, valid points. Thanks again!
    Woah, that automatic audio clip scared me. I can't stand sites that do that, closed it after 2 seconds.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

...The only people really making the money are the ones selling these malls.
    That sounds right.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

After a quick look at that, it looks like they're giving you a portion of any purchases made thru the mall. For example Nursery Depot you would make 5.6% of every sale when they pay out 8% at CJ. So they get 2.4%, you get 5.6%. So that's why they're free to people, that's how they make their money. So they're not doing anything wrong but however you had plans to get traffic to those type of sites, you can get to your own site. If you don't know how, you can learn, which might take some time. But blogs are pretty easy for those just getting started and you can put up the same merchants and get the full percentage. But you found the right forum that you can learn about it all. So you're ahead of most people starting out.

No, no, no... I wasn't thinking of joining the mall site... I have my own site/blog. But I recently heard about the mall site and wondered what (if any) effect it would have on the more "traditional" affiliate/blogger/writer.

Thanks for all the input and opinions, all.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread