Quick Question - Code for what screen resolution?
    What is a safe width 800px or 1024px for some reason I just can not which is better?

Thanks,
    Doug

More and more people are getting the larger monitors all the time. I still remember the 640x480 days. Seems like the majority of sites are now being designed for the 1024 monitors and leaving a few px for the margins. I am currently working on two new sites at 970 px with a dark background to fill any void. Here's a sample, with only a couple of pages thrown together thus far: www.Baltimore.biz
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    More and more people are getting the larger monitors all the time.
    That may be true, but while that is happening people are also looking at the web on hand held and small mobile devices -- so what's the best way to accommodate everyone?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Doug,

Actually the numbers should be 770 or 900 to avoid the horizontal scroll.

That said I have code (ABW default look) that displays 770 code for smaller screens and and another code for larger screen monitors, change your resolution and see.

To answer R7's Q, I'd suggest a sep .mobi or other URL for a PDA friendly version of a site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    That may be true, but while that is happening people are also looking at the web on hand held and small mobile devices -- so what's the best way to accommodate everyone?
    That's why I am also developing sites for the .mobi domain extension, which is easy to do with database-driven dynamic sites. Other sites, if they are based on CSS, can put a script in the header of their index page to identify the browser and/or platform. Then serve the CSS that matches the device. (I believe there is a Wordpress theme or plugin that makes this more-or-less automatic - but not sure about that yet).

Of course if Apple sells as many iPhones as they hope, it will be a moot point. But that is still a ways down the road. Even if they sell several million in the first year, that will only be 1% of all the mobile devices out there.

But, you are absolutely correct in asking. The mobile web is growing every day. Just watch the TV commercials...wireless...wireless...wireless. Your cell phone or mine may not yet have a great built-in browser, but just about everybody upgrades their phones on a 2-year cycle or less. So, in two years everybody will have a web enabled cell phone - and the service providers will have the plans to go with them. Count on it.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

What is a safe width 800px or 1024px for some reason I just can not which is better?
    I try to make mine look good in both. My 2 monitors are set with different resolutions so that I can slide the page over and see how it looks in 1152 x 864 or 800 x 600.

Talking
    Why not use 100% instead of a set size so it will adjust to the screen size automatically?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I've had good success creating variable-width layouts that look good at any resolution. I typically design for them to look best at 800-1000. They might get a little cluttered at 640 and the variable length columns might become a little short at 1280 or above, but they still look fine.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Why not use 100% instead of a set size so it will adjust to the screen size automatically?
    That can [usually] work for changes from one monitor size to the next. As bumpaw suggested, check it in two monitor sizes at your workstation.

However, if the monitor size increases greatly (many folks today buy very large monitors, and believe-it-or-not, fill that screen with one browser window) then the design usually falls apart. Just imagine a five line paragraph forming a block of text next to an image --- then imagine that "block" stretching across the screen into one long, thin line.

We can all look into our server logs/stats program to see the various screen resolutions that our visitors use. Different types of sites may attract users with different technology tastes. For example, I would imagine a site focusing on modern technology would attract visitors with larger-than-average monitors. i suggest trying to design for a mix of the two most popular sizes used by YOUR visitors. And figure that a year from now, the size may be kicked up another notch.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Check you stats and see what screen resolution YOUR visitors use - then play to YOUR audience.

I know that some small portion of people do have ultra-large screens where they open the browser full screen, but I've never understood why they do that. Neither design looks good like that. The variable width sites stretch too far. The fixed width sites have a ton of white space. A browser window just isn't meant to be that wide.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    ... ultra-large screens where they open the browser full screen, but I've never understood why they do that...
    They don't have a clue, either - and it is their own setup. Having enough $$ to buy the biggest and the best is NOT an indicator of knowledge, or even common sense, for that matter.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    They don't have a clue, either - and it is their own setup. Having enough $$ to buy the biggest and the best is NOT an indicator of knowledge, or even common sense, for that matter.
    They have rich parents who indulge them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Covered recently.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=74412 Hope that helps

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread