Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone know if you can use different resolutions on dual monitor systems.

I need a high resolution for graphics, and a low resolution on the other for text.

Is this possible and if so, how does it effect the virtual desktop?

I dont have the graphics card yet

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click.

Yes, your sure can.
    I have dual monitors with different resolutions.
    One at 800x600 32 bit and one at 640x480 16 bit.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

ABW Ambassador
    Quck draw on the credit card in the morning methiks.

ABW Ambassador
    go for dual 23/24" LCD

Thats my dream...

Honestly I had dual 21" CRT for awhile and I rarely ever found myself with something on the rightmost monitor... Yet my primary was still overcrowded with junk Perhaps I just didnt have the right desk setup, or, just too stupid to remember I had that extra room

I dumped it all for a single LCD, but, still not enough room
    ----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    I will always use a CRT for the graphics because you just can't get the clarity with a TFT monitor, but I thought that it was about time that I used the TFT's I have floating around here.

Besides that I could work AND use the chat room at the same time

ABW Ambassador
    That is always a good thing

LCD/TFT technology has improved a lot .... I guess purists will disagree

I really do need a DVI video card, though, this analog stuff isn't cutting it.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Definately go for the LCDs, I used to use a 21" CRT, now I have dual 20" (Dell) and 17" (Viewsonic) LCDs and they perform great and take up less space.

Mark......

Mark Mitford
    Sales Director
    Dotster, Inc
    http://www.dotster.com/
    15% Commission - 90 day cookie - 0% reversals

two computers under the desk, one running Windoze, the other running Linux/X/Gnome.. Set the monitors side by side, set up VNC server on the windoze box, run x2vnc on the linux box.. Use the linux kb and mouse, and drive both systems...

It works great - I used to sysadmin a group of developers that had to work on both systems. Real timesaver.

Oh, and then you can run FlightGear in multi-head mode on your off time.

ABW Ambassador
    Both heads attached to the linux box?

----
    -J

You sure can use 2 different resolutions. I have 2 15 inch lcds one on 640 and other on 800. They work fine.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Monuit:
    Both heads attached to the linux box?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, one on each. separate video cards.

ABW Ambassador
    Dual monitors are the way to go. Will save your thumb and forefinge alt tabbing your life away. I use 3. One for my HTML and FTP the 2nd for CJ product links and page testig and the 3rd i leave monitoring progs on like my mail client and chat clients.

Two monitors allow me to work up to twice as fast as I dont have to scan the page and find my place as I don't have to alt- tab and i can simply drag stuff betwween progs though most coding is done with the old ctrl-xcv. Remember to set a PCI card as your primary card in your bios or you will have loads of probs getting it to work under Win 98/Me/2000/XP. You can respecify your AGP as primary via Display settings once you are in windows.

Rgds,

Dirk Gardner

I would invest in a video card that you can run both monitors off of. I run mine off a nvidia geforce 4 ti 4400 I just used a vga connector on the dvi port and it rocks.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Remember to set a PCI card as your primary card in your bios or you will have loads of probs getting it to work under Win 98/Me/2000/XP. You can respecify your AGP as primary via Display settings once you are in windows.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice tip

I bought a card with twin output. Ohhh, the space It takes a bit of getting used to moving your mouse right off the screen and onto another monitor, but if you position them correctly then it becomes quite natural.

ABW Ambassador
    I prefer to use multiple display cards as I have all those spare PCI slots and you can get alot more speed out of 3 128MB geforce 4s than you get by splitting the available onboard video memory of one card between 2 monitors.

Its also worth considering upping your Ram to support the extra programs that you are now able to keep open at one time. I code up to 60 heavy catalog pages at one time meaning they all have to be open and with 1 gig RAM + XPs wonderful memory management model this is a doddle. You should be able to get away with just adding enough to get you up to 512MB.

But believe you me the benefits you get from the extra screen space and the extra memory to support running multiple progs is well worth the expense.

Rgds,

Dirk Gardner

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3 128MB geforce 4s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

----
    -J

You can run any resolutions and colors you like separate on each monitor. I am running 3 21's on 3 geforce4's. Works great, but you have to reboot the machine once a day, and you can't run video on one of the monitors, and you have to start the video on the monitor you have set to primary (if you are using media player.) If you want a machine to run stable and perfectly, I wouldn't go with multiple monitors on win2k(I run win2k server, so it may be just that os.)

ABW Ambassador
    Yeh, I am having 'issues' with win2k, and I dislike the virtual desktop.

I think I will probably re-install win98 as the virtual desktop is a little better.

ABW Ambassador
    Yet to discover a multiple monitor 'issue' on XP. Forget 98 and come up to the most stable Windows OS in existence.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I'm running 3 monitors off my dual processor G4.

Of course, Mac's been able to do multiple monitors PROPERLY since the 80's, but I won't rub that in.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh a MAC. Hey, I love those trucks.

Aaah - he meant the truck. I thought he was talking 'bout the burgers. Didn't make any sense - but the truck, yes now I see ...

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    ahah 98. Dont do it.. go with XP. It still sux (it's windoze) but its the best yet..

----
    -J

ABW Ambassador
    Just to clarify.

I dont have a problem with either system. Both Win98 & win2K work fine for me. I just prefer the virtual desktop from win98.

With 98, the toolbars are restricted to the main display, but the toolbar on win2K spreads accross all monitors making it a real effort to scroll across to the clock. The other thing that bugs me is that the message boxes always pop up between the monitors.

Maybe its the graphics card, maybe its me () who cares.

I also dont really know if I would like XP as my OS, as it would mean me having the tellytubbies landscape plastered all over my screen.

Wow.. It never occurred to me to get 2 monitors going. That is a great idea!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast