Products that sell best Online
    I'm looking for statistics on which products people buy online, and which the prefer to buy offline. For example, most consumers research cars online, but purchase them offline. That tells me to go for a PPC deal if I'm advertising cars, since they aren't big online sellers.

Where can I find stats to guide me to which product categories (eg travel, software, and what else?) to invest my time and skills in?

If anyone can share their own thoughts on this that helps too. Thanks.

Talking
    Just think for yourself - what had you rather buy online so everybody doesn't know or see you buying it.

What would you have to buy online because it would be very hard for you to find if you lived in a small town - etc.

Not everybody lives in a city where everything is always available.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Do searches on Pew Internet and American Life Project

Apparel sales are the largest and fastest-growing U.S. online retail category, although many consumers still prefer buying clothing in a store, according to a new eMarketer report “U.S. Apparel E-Commerce.”

Online sales of apparel, accessories and footwear totaled an estimated $18.3 billion in 2006, a 31% increase from 2005, but accounted for only 8% of total apparel sales, according to information compiled by eMarketer. Online apparel sales are expected to reach $22.1 billion this year. [source]
    This was recently published on Thursday, September 6, 2007
    Read Internet Retailer

“NetRatings and BuzzMetrics are recognized as the two leading providers of insight about consumer behavior online,” said David Calhoun, Chairman and CEO of The Nielsen Company. [source]

Men and women equally likely to make online purchases: Pew Internet study
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Someone once told me that magazines do quite well......hmmm something to consider?
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by David Carter
    Someone once told me that magazines do quite well......hmmm something to consider?
    Hmmm......You wouldn't be self promoting would you???

Maybe a little But the question kinda begged for it
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by David Carter
    Maybe a little But the question kinda begged for it
    That's true.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the idea is to discover products that sell well - or good niches - that aren't commonly known to sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I think the idea is to discover products that sell well - or good niches - that aren't commonly known to sell well.
    I agree with that, but what would you include as the best methods of discovery?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

[QUOTE=hazlcha]I'm looking for statistics on which products people buy online, and which the prefer to buy offline. For example, most consumers research cars online, but purchase them offline. That tells me to go for a PPC deal if I'm advertising cars, since they aren't big online sellers.
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to see those kind of statistics too, but I have no idea where one might look, or even if such stats have been developed in any extensive ways.

Until such stats pop up, the best advice I can give is to think abstractly about the advantages/disadvantages of purchasing online. A few off the top of my head:

Advantages:

1. On the internet you can find rarer items, or things that aren't commonly sold in most shops. If I wanted to buy a ninja sword I have no idea where I could get one in my town, but I could easily find one online.

2. On the internet you can often get cheaper deals, especially on used items. This advantage is often negated when the product incurs huge shipping costs. People don't buy furniture on the net.

3. Convenience. You can get what you need in a couple minutes while wearing pajamas.

Disadvantages:

1. The wait. There's a greater psychological satisfaction in buying something and immediately having it. In Pavlovian terms, buying in shops gives greater positive reinforcement since there's less of a time between action and reward. Also, some things are often needed with greater immediacy and people aren't good at planning. If you're hungry for something to eat, or a movie to watch on a boring night, or you have nothing in the house to wipe your ass with you're not going to endure a three day wait for the stuff you want.

2. No window shopping. For many people, stopping to look at stuff in a store is an ends in itself. People go to the mall for fun. They make going to stores an activity with family and friends. And sometimes during the stop, something will catch their attention enough that they decide to buy it. Shopping in person means interacting with, running into, and meeting people. A bookworm who purchases a work of literature from a bookstore is likely to make friends with similar people in the process.

3. You can't touch, hold, smell, or taste what you see on the internet. So you often don't know exactly what you're getting. You can't smell perfume online. You can't test drive a car.

Generally, the internet is a prime marketplace for consumers who know exactly what they want, know exactly what they're getting (as in the case of, say, DVDs), don't need it immediately, and are consciously pursuing said item rather than just impulse buying it from the local shop.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread