Online Marketing Consultant
    PPC for Product and Service Specific Campaigns
    In light of all of the talking about how to do PPC and how to find a merchant to do PPC with, without just trademark bidding, I wanted to write a post to help people better understand how you can use PPC to get other products and conversions just as well if not better than trademarks.

The examples I provide are not proven to work and are just samples for you to work with. Please feel free to add to this post with info or ask questions as well.

1. With Halloween coming up, I want to target a Halloween type thing so I am picking an adult wicked witch of the west costume. Not only is she one of my favorite characters, but she is perfect for this example.

Now that we have our product or service picked, it is time to set up the keywords for her.

2. When selecting your keywords, think about how to be extremely specific towards the product or service you are providing. Also remember to think of other contexts that people might search for and your ad comes up and gets clicked even though they did not want a costume, but were just interested in a product. Here is a basic list that could work. (Please note I am not including all keywords and negative words but I am only providing a few and just the basics, not to many advanced techniques or methods will be seen in this post.)

[adult wicked witch costume]
    [wicked witch of the west costume]
    [wicked witch of the west costumes]
    adult wicked witch costume
    wicked witch of the west costume
    wicked witch of the west costumes

Now think to yourself, is there anything else going on with the Wicked Witch right now?

Oh ya, she has a famous hit musical tearing across the US and two best selling books. We'd better think if we want these terms or not. Although some people may not care and think one is the other; in the musical the costuming is very different. There are only one or two scenes where Elphaba (The Wicked Witch) wears a similar Wizard of Oz Costume so people looking for Elphaba might not want the movie’s wicked witch costume. We'll keep her in the campaign anyways just for the sake of it.

[elphaba costume]
    [elphaba costumes]
    elphaba costume
    elphaba costumes

Now let’s pick some negative keywords. These are the words that when searched for, with your keywords, will not show your ad. Since we are including Elphaba in here, we should also include words from the book and the show. Some other things I went ahead and did for you as well are thinking that since we want an adult's costume, lets get rid of Kids....but then again people could be searching boys, girls, etc.... and you also have to then include kid, kids, kid's and do the same with boy, child, childrens, girls, etc.... to get the searches more towards the adults. You also want to take out the people searching for her voice, a soundtrack, how to make your own or sew your own, just a mask, other wicked witches from other stories and movies, etc...

Here is my Incomplete Sample List:

-Mc Guire
    -Mcguire
    -NYC
    -actress
    -barbie
    -broadway
    -castle
    -character
    -charecter
    -child
    -child's
    -children
    -children's
    -childrens
    -childs
    -collectibles
    -doll
    -dolls
    -doorstep
    -east
    -figurine
    -figurines
    -frame
    -frames
    -ga linda
    -galinda
    -glinda
    -good
    -greg
    -gregory
    -homemade
    -how
    -kid
    -kid's
    -kids
    -life
    -make
    -mask
    -masks
    -melting
    -merchandise
    -movie
    -mp3
    -music
    -name
    -narnia
    -chronicles
    -new york
    -ornament
    -photo
    -photos
    -pic
    -pics
    -picture
    -pictures
    -play
    -played
    -quotes
    -sexy
    -shoe
    -shoes
    -show
    -shows
    -sound
    -still
    -story
    -summary
    -theme
    -times
    -to
    -video
    -soundtrack
    -soundtracks
    -sounds
    -cackle

3. So now that we have that done, you need to create an ad for this campaign.

The ad for product and service specific campaigns should have three basic components.

1. Include the keywords
    2. Have the keywords in the text because it is product focused
    3. Also try to have keywords from the tags on the landing page.

Here is a sample ad for Adwords:

Wicked Witch of OZ
    Elphaba - The Wicked Witch of The
    West Costume is Just $94.99

Ads will vary depending on where you send them too and how you want to create them.

4. Landing Pages are where you can also get creative. With this ad and campaign you can do any of these or use other methods. I could take the campaign and drop it right on one of my sites like this because the tags and content are all about the ad and keywords:

http://www.gayweddinggear.com/shop/witchcostumes.html

By doing this you have dropped the shopper on a page that has the wicked witch, but also has accessories and other wicked witch supplies. Although she is harder to find, it does provide variety.

I have already gotten permission from Loxly to use the HalloweenMart.com program as an example. No this is not my affiliate link either.

You can drop it here:
    http://www.halloweenmart.com/wecs.ph...&target=IN1022 using the share a sale custom link and drop it on a page with just the costume so it is in front of the shoppers eyes and has the buy button right there as well as accessories.

You can create a page on your site with just her costume similar to the one on Halloween Mart and her accessories.

You can do a search on the costume sites and create a page show wicked witch costume accessories and costumes which could also be good if the wording and tags are set right.

There are tons of landing pages ideas and ways to create effective ones. Get creative and have some fun with it.

Also, by sending a customer to your site, you are also able to then show them the costumes and accessories from multiple stores hopefully increasing the desire to buy from you because they know what is out there and the prices are from multiple vendors.

5. Pricing. As far as pricing goes and how much you should spend per day or per bid, that is completely up to you. There are a million different strategies out there for example:

Start in the 4-6 places and if you don’t get clicks, up your bid to 1-3 and if it doesn’t convert try to go back to 4-6 and wait for the eventual clicks and see if they convert.

There are millions of methods and theories out there. You just need to find the one that works for you.

6. Your profits. Try and remember the simple rules but also don’t forget outlying factors when figuring out if you are profitable or not.

Total Commissions – Spend – your taxes (most people forget to add this into the mix) – time spent on the project = your profit for the overall campaign. This is not at the click and bid level and not a full all out formula, just a basic one.

These are just the basics to running a simple product or service specific only campaign.

There are tons of others like categories campaigns, general campaigns, etc….. which all need different thought processes. So if anyone has anything to ad to this post about basic product or service specific PPC, please feel free to add.

As I also said above, this isn’t a proven campaign, it is missing a couple of factors I would add to it and a few other techniques that I would use, however they are a bit more time consuming and I do not have the time to write them out or to even actually read this before I post it lol.

Also, please feel free to use this campaign if you would like, we have a few costume merchants here on ABW like HalloweenMart which have great products for this season.

I cannot promise that this campaign will work or not, I know I would change and add a bunch more things before I ran it, but have a go if you would like, and hopefully you will find a way to do it.

Best,

Adam
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Excellent post!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Thanks =0)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Great post. I've already recommended it to a noob.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Great post. One question: i'm assuming this example is for adwords...and I take it you only use [exact] and broad match only..why not phrase match?

http and a telephoto
    Great post Adam!!!! Very detailed and educational.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Adam, kudos on your post

I like to use keywords [the free way] to create natural/organic sites that would appeal to SEs.

Your post, although excellent in organization and detail, reminds me of when I was a teen-ager at arcade games: I'd slip in the quarter and the screen would immediately flash "Game Over" -- I never got over that
    Part of me is ultra conservative with money -- PPC is not in my budget, but kudos for creating a post that will help many people whether they engage in PPC or not.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks Deb, and thank you for letting me mention your halloweenmart program "witch" happens to be one of my favs =0) lol.

Cowboys, I wanted to keep this as short as possible so I left out phrase matching. I also left out many other negatives like the words image, images, draw, actor, movie cell, etc.... I am happy to post a sequel thread at a later date when I get some time about phrase vs. exact vs. broad.

Did you have any specific questions about phrase matching?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Adam, kudos on your post

I like to use keywords [the free way] to create natural/organic sites that would appeal to SEs.

Your post, although excellent in organization and detail, reminds me of when I was a teen-ager at arcade games: I'd slip in the quarter and the screen would immediately flash "Game Over" -- I never got over that
    Part of me is ultra conservative with money -- PPC is not in my budget, but kudos for creating a post that will help many people whether they engage in PPC or not.

Your welcome, and hey giving out information and trying to help eachother is what ABW is about. =0).

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Adam you rock! :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Good stuff Adam!

I hope who ever runs with it reports back on how they did and what they learned along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    Did you have any specific questions about phrase matching?

None, thank you. I've been doing PPC for quite some time now. I just haven't used broad match at all with Google Adsense. I think I'll start trying.

Thanks again,

No prob cowboys. Donuts, that would be a neat thing to see,,,,It'd also be cool to see if they start hitting more sales on witches or wicked witches too....Deb, can you report that to us if any of them start moving after this post?

BTW, thanks for the compliment Donuts, means a lot coming from you =0).

Adam,

Your post will help lots of people especially newbies.
    Not everyone understands what PPC/Adwords is.
    It took me a long time to figure out what it was when I first came to ABW

Now that I know it's like swimming in Pirhanas infested waters I'll stay away but I still enjoy reading about other people's adventures on the sidelines

As I said before, keyword awareness can help everyone -- vanilla affiliates like me and affiliates who are more daring and willing to take risks with PPC.

Your analysis is very clear and educational
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    No prob cowboys. Donuts, that would be a neat thing to see,,,,It'd also be cool to see if they start hitting more sales on witches or wicked witches too....Deb, can you report that to us if any of them start moving after this post?
    I'll have Carrie keep an eye on it!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Fantastic post! Great for a newbie like me!

No Problem James....If you'd like i am happy to do another product or service like this with a partial negative keyword list etc....

Let me know =0)

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Great job Adam! Very well thought out, very well written and great use of an example to simplify the concept. This kind of post is what a forum is all about and your effort is appreciated buddy!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Thank you for the informative post. :-)

No Problem =0) Happy to do it.

Nice post, Adam!

I hope you don't mind if I make an addition or two.

If this were my campaign, I'd also make "elphaba" related words and "wicked witch" words two distinct ad groups within the campaign.

Google loves its quality score metric with regards to ranking PPC ads, so more specific is better in their eyes. Having an elphaba keyword relate to an elphaba ad pointing at an elphaba landing page will actually give you a placement advantage for an elphaba related search over ads that also try to cover wicked witch terms and vice versa.

You'd also be able to use the afftrack variable to see if it's even worth bidding on one group over the other, let alone keyword by keyword.

I also like to run at least three different ad versions for each ad group at any given time. Every couple weeks I replace the poorest performer.

Anyway, cool to see a post on positive PPC. Hope my additions aren't out of place.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Ok I got a few emails asking about choosing words and terms to go after when you develop a product specific campaign. As above, I do not have much time to write a full fledged post for you, but here are some basic rules to doing it. I am going to change from wicked witches though to Electronics Nation TVs. I would also like to ask anyone who wants to chime in to please do so and add to this as there are hundreds of ways to choose terms for a product specific campaign and this is just the very basics of one way to do it.

You can never get to specific with your keywords and phrases.

Refurbished TV - it is targeted because we sell refurbished electronics including tvs, however, just because it is searched heavily and what we sell, does not mean it will convert well. By using refurbished TV, you still don't know what brand or anything the person may be looking for. Lets try something else.

Refurbished Phillips TV - hey, it is still searched very well and there are also many other well searched combinations. You could take this and drop it on our TVs page. However, there still may be a way to get an even better conversion rate out of this.

Although you know the person is looking for a phillips refurbished tv, you do not know what kind. It could be a large screen, a wide screen, LCD, Plasma, Wall Mounted, a Mirror TV, HDTV, TV with a DVD player in it. As you can see, although the last key phrase is a pretty good one, we could do better.

refurbished philips lcd tv - now this term is getting you somewhere. It is still searched very heavy each month (I just checked on Google), it tells you a brand, a type of TV and the searcher wants it refurbished. Seems pretty acurate. This is a pretty good term to use. You can use the Share a Sale make a page to create your own store for a landing page or drop it onto Electronics Nation's refurbished LCD TVs page. Either way it is targeted.

However, we can still do even better.

refurbished philips 50 lcd tv - adding in the size of the TV will further narrow it down. You can also now lead them to a page with just Phillips refurbished 50" TVs bringing someone searching on the engines directly to the specific product they were searching for.

Now, if you feel like dropping it on a page like above, it should be easy to do your ad group, leave out the terms from above it and only keep versions that include refurbished philips 50 lcd tv If other words are included but it also has all of these, you should be in pretty good shape. Other words to include into this ad group could include plasma, 50" with the symbol, projection, flatscreen, etc... you also do not want to forget about misspellings. If the term is highly searched, some people are bound to misspell it.

Now lets go up a level. Suppose you want to drop them on a level with just Phillips Refurbished Plasma HDTVS, you can do this and save time by adding all sizes and wide screens together onto one page. Now suppose you did three sizes in this particular ad group, 27" 42" 50", make sure to include these sizes in your ad to hopefully help lower your PPC cost on the keyword to ad relevance factor. You also may want to include something like free shipping as well to entice the searcher to click your ad.

Now, to track these and see which sizes or terms are converting, at least with Google Adwords, you can enter seperate urls for each term in your ad group. This way you can see which is being clicked most, and hopefully get some more data. There are also tracking softwares out there that will let you know what was clicked and converted, and what didn't by analyzing the time etc... With Electronics Nation, our product links give you the commissions of the product, so you should be able to tell what is selling from an ad group like this and what isn't. This will not be true with all programs, but for some it will work well so you know what sold and what did not.

I'll eventually do an update on the Auction industry once I get some free time and permission from a few of the other auction merchants out there to use them as examples.

Happy PPC bidding everyone!

Hrmm I should have used this for my 900th post, but hey, I am happy I put it on the SAS TT one. Can't wait to see you guys again!

ABW Ambassador
    "I am happy to post a sequel thread at a later date when I get some time about phrase vs. exact vs. broad."

Good post but I would never use broad matching. I picked one at random

http://www.celebrateexpress.com/cele...search=elphaba

They show up for broad match elphaba costume but don't actually carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "I am happy to post a sequel thread at a later date when I get some time about phrase vs. exact vs. broad."

Good post but I would never use broad matching. I picked one at random

http://www.celebrateexpress.com/cele...search=elphaba

They show up for broad match elphaba costume but don't actually carry it.

I never actually went ahead and updated this thread with the benefits and negatives of broad vs. exact vs. phrase...but eventually I will get to it if someone else doesn't first.

Broad matches are great if you have excess budget to spend, as well as for keeping clients who want to see word combinations show up even if you do not have high conversions, and for branding purposes to show you're in the market and a strong contender though.

For smaller budgets I would say to stay away unless you have a strong negative keyword list and almost all broad match variations could be high converters. And I agree with you that most budgets should stick to exact, and possibly phrase matches.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread