ABW Ambassador
    Hi,
    I recently found a javascript which does the following: On a webpage, let me call it vegetable.html, there are checkboxes e.g. for different vegetables, and the visitor is asked to check which of it he likes most. By clicking in the box a cookie with a certain duration is set. If the visitor then wants to revisit vegetable.html he is automatically ( caused by the cookie ) redirected to a merchant. Does this script make any sense? Do you find it annoying to be sent to where you do not want to be sent? And if that script is of any use, how long should the cookie duration be?

carneol

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tricks for clicks just piss off visitors and will come back and bite the trickster.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you find it annoying to be sent to where you do not want to be sent?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Would you buy something from a store that you didn't want to go to? I think you'll find that persuading a customer is much more effective than trying to control a customer. After all, you could force millions of people to a merchant's site, but only the customer can enter their credit card number (unless you were to design an evil parasite to automatically complete the sale. ).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Joey ...take carneol out behind the barn and teach him that his shortcuts are cheap ways to piss off shoppers. I see he hides his profile -web site and sucks of info with no give back at ABW. Typical opportunist and one most likely to use spamm or a driveby download of Gator or WhenU for a few lead fees.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Anybody have an idea on the percentage of internet users who don't have cookies switched on. I'd be interested in a script which wouldn't allow visitors/would be customers access to my sites unless they have cookies switched on.

JJJay,

I think the number is small enough that a script wouldn't be worth the effort. This article from USA Today says that only about 0.68% of visitors reject cookies. - That was a year ago, but I can't imagine the number has changed much since then.

ABW Ambassador
    Ecom*****
    your are so nice and so selfish convinced of your knowledge of my nature that nothing is to said on it. People who read your post generally now know what person you are. Thanks for making this clear.

carneol

[This message was edited by carneol on February 10, 2003 at 04:37 AM.]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread