Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Original Content
    The term "Original Content" has got to be the most over-used term in the search engine optimization arena. Everybody and anybody can and will cite "original content" or lack thereof for anything related to low website performance. From the expert SEO gurus to the self proclaimed gurus, the first item that comes out of their mouth is going to be blah blah "original content" blah blah. I was just browsing around an SEO forum and that was the answer to 90% of questions posed to the forum by members.

Q: Why doesn't google visit my site more often?
    A: Do you have original content?

Q: Why is my pagerank still at 0?
    A: Do you have original content?

Q: Why does my competitor rank better than me?
    A: He/She must have more original content.

Q: Do you know why I have trouble focusing?
    A: You may need to get more original content.

Q: Do you know why my car doesn't start on Mondays?
    A: You need to fill you car with more original content.

Now google refers to original content as "rich information" or "valuable content", whatever the hell that is. Maybe rich or valuable content to the brain-less googlebot is not rich or valuable content to a human. So you need more "original content", but be careful because you may get penalized by google if it's not "authentic content". But I am sure you will be ok because the googlebot is so smart it can separate the author of the "original content" from the site scraper of the content.

I think the so called SEO folks need to get some more "original content" so to speak.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Seymour, Google is looking for pertinent original content that relates to the site name, meta tags and inbound links.

If the end result delivers results searchers are seeking we all win. So I suppose the bottom line in all you read is that you should provide the best information a searcher would want when searching for terms you have targeted.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    "Content" is probably the most misunderstood concept in affiliate marketing.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Hehe, funny

And I agree, now everyone screams "original content"

Before that it was "links"

Before that it was "page optimization"

Before that "keyword density"

Before that "metatags"

Wink
    Loxly loves content and is a firm believer in it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

But what is content really? Words, but not just words.

- something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing, or any of various arts

- significance or profundity

- substantive information or creative material viewed in contrast to its actual or potential manner of presentation

- that which may be perceived in something

- the sum of the attributes or notions comprised in a given conception; the substance or matter of cognition

- power of containing; holding capacity

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    But what is content really? Words, but not just words.

- something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing, or any of various arts

- significance or profundity

- substantive information or creative material viewed in contrast to its actual or potential manner of presentation

- that which may be perceived in something

- the sum of the attributes or notions comprised in a given conception; the substance or matter of cognition

- power of containing; holding capacity
    You sound like a poet.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Seymour, with our www (dot) easy-fundraising-ideas (dot) com website we have found the two most important things are external links to proper pages and a well thought out internal linking strategy.

That's why we are updating the site for the 5th major overhaul ... but it is the busiest fundraising website on the internet.

Of course, the content has to be good. Not lengthy just very appropriate for what a searcher would want to find. I think relevant content is a given. Without it you will never get out of the gates if you are wanting to drive traffic from from the se's.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    If an Affiliate site holds value above and beyond what the merchant (and other Affiliates) already provides, it will see favorable rankings over time. This is why sites that are re-purposed merchant datafeeds only struggle these days...at least in Google they struggle.

For a site to hold this value it must have unique characteristics and content, whether it's hand written articles (that make sense), user generated content, unique technology, custom written merchant/product descriptions, etc. A unique site attracts natural inbound and relevant links over time.

I think what it boils down to these days is that you'll no longer find a free ride to high Google product related rankings unless you commit for the long haul. It's getting more and more important to pick your passion and promote it through one powerful and compelling site. Over time that one site will manage the volume of many sites that hold no value above what you can already get from the merchant you're promoting.

Just some thoughts..

I agree that relevant content is a given. However, relevant content may not necessarily be "original". In the case where you have multiple sites that are doing the same thing and therefore their content is going to be similar.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Content informs. Content entertains.

I make sales pages that relate to my content. My content pages and sales pages support each other. My sites began as content sites but the ironic thing is that now most of my traffic comes for the sales pages. Funny, ain't it?

http and a telephoto
    Moved from "family" to Midnight Cafe.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Original content is anything that drives a sale at the end of the day
    Original content is different to every different reader

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Seymour, Google is looking for pertinent original content that relates to the site name, meta tags and inbound links.
    Are meta tags still important to Google (carry considerable weight with Google)? I know they can be important to other engines, but I thought meta tags didn't really have a major impact in terms of Google placement.

Seymour, I enjoyed Post #1 -- I like your dry/sarcastic sense of humor.

Original content can be a different angle at looking at something.

Not everything can be described in a totally new way: how creative can the description of a Phillips Screwdriver be, as an example? I guess the creativity could come from the description of an associated project?

On the other hand, a customer looking for screwdrivers would most likely want to see a page with many examples listed.

Organization (in terms of how items are grouped together or separated and in terms of how items are showcased) can be a type of content.

Where is Leader? She always has a funny take on content discussions
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Site A:
    Description: Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver
    Price: $9.99
    Shoppers Comment:

Site B:
    Description: Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver
    Price: $9.99
    Shoppers Comment: One day I was driving home from a late night shift at the plant on a cold and rainy day in November. The wind was blowing out of the North hard enough to make my car slide over the center line a little. Thinking back, I should have been going slower. As I approached the sharp curve before the bridge I was going to fast and started to hydroplane sideways. With help from that north wind, I found myself heading for the guard rail on the bridge. Before I knew it, my car was floating in the cold brisk river below. The water started to fill in from the lower part of the firewall and quickly reached the bottom of the front seat. I tried to push the door open, but the force of the raging river was more than I could handle. Feeling trapped, I began to panic. As I said a prayer, the glove box suddenly fell open. Before the water reached the lvel of the glove box, I reached in and pulled out that Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver, pointed the sharp end at the window and smacked it with all the strength I had left. I began to pull myself out of the broken window and somehow made my way to the shore. I was exhausted but I am sure glad I bought that Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver last week from the local hardware store. It saved my life!

Given Site A with just the facts and Site B with the facts and a personal story, I can assume the original content (personal story) would give Site B an edge over Site A, everything else remaining the same?

Ofcourse, the personal story on Site B will be copied/scraped onto a few thousand similar sites that market this screwdriver within a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Given Site A with just the facts and Site B with the facts and a personal story, I can assume the original content (personal story) would give Site B an edge over Site A, everything else remaining the same?

Ofcourse, the personal story on Site B will be copied/scraped onto a few thousand similar sites that market this screwdriver within a few days?
    Not necessarily.

You could purposely omit the personal stories from Site A in order to showcase more items -- whereas the Titanic story will take up more room on the page.

Also search engines have a way of "mashing together" your description: what's the likelihood of a person searching in an engine for "hydroplane and screwdriver?" Or "water and screwdriver?"
    In the above story, you could have saved your life if you had a baseball bat or a brick on the floor of the car or something.

The story doesn't relate to a typical use of the item -- although non-typical uses can sell, I'm not sure that one would.

You gotta watch what words appear on your page.
    I used to use the word "Burn" -- back in the days when the Ditto pic search engine was popular some wiseguy repeatedly searched for my site name (he must have known that I like to check stats) and the word "burn" -- wow! I couldn't believe what I was lumped together with in that search engine (when I checked my site stats)
    I replaced the word "burn" with a different word that bored all the wiseguys out there.

If the description was written by one of your forum members (where is the feedback coming from?) there's always the chance that such feedback will be a little off the mark as opposed to a description written by you.
    You have the best control over what YOU write as opposed to hoping that other people will write something brilliant to help your sales.

A sentence about the use of the proper tool for a certain project (that customers might be interested in) will yield better results.

One way to sell tools would be to think of a project and then list the tools needed to complete that project.
    If you actually can create/finish that project [i.e. build a shelf] and you can take pictures of the finished item, that would help a great deal.
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 13th, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Talking
    I was exhausted but I am sure glad I bought that Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver last week from the local hardware store. It saved my life!
    Ok, that content was very good, and probably some lurker here is going to steal it and use it on their website, but......

All that work writing that original content, now have two main problems:

First: While it was original the first time you posted that content on your site, now you can find 100's of copies on the search engines from the lurkers that stole it from your site.

Second: If in your website content, you say that you are glad that you bought that Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver last week from the local hardware store, and that it have saved your life, then maybe some of your visitors may decide to go to their local hardware store to get the screwdriver today, and not have to wait a week or two, to get it from the merchant on your site.

Life Is To Short, To Have To Wait Two Weeks For A Screwdriver!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

Second: If in your website content, you say that you are glad that you bought that Standard #3 Phillips Screwdriver last week from the local hardware store, and that it have saved your life, then maybe some of your visitors may decide to go to their local hardware store to get the screwdriver today, and not have to wait a week or two, to get it from the merchant on your site.
    That's another thing: mentioning competitors on the web is a no-no unless you are affiliated with both. The mention of a local hardware store is a leak!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Original Content + Content is King = Extreme overuse.

I totally agree.

(keep in mind this post may not show up due to duplicate content)

I can assure you all that Google will penalize duplicate content.

But will they penalize the right ones? I am guessing not.

In the results of a Google search of one of my sites or terms from it, I see that other sites have lifted sentences from my site but when I check their site, there's a link to my site -- I usually ignore those sites if they link to me.

One original sentence of mine has become a "Googlism" and I kind of take pride in that
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

That is certainly one big issue. Who had the original content to begin with and who are the duplicates? I guess that Google, the all seeing all knowing omnipresent Gods of the Internet, should be completely trusted to make those decisions.

Rhia what is the googlism ORIGINAL sentence?

ABW Ambassador
    Whoever has the most (good) links in has the original content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast