Affiliate Literature?
    This is my introduction.

I work for a family owned business so my place in this company is very mixed. Because we are sort of a large business, there is a lot of craziness running around because the place is more or less ran like a Moroccan bazaar.

Recently I was tapped on the shoulder and pointed to the word "Affiliate Manager" and suddenly I am responsible for learning everything our company needs to know about Affiliate Marketing.

My request is for anyone to recommend me some efficient Affiliate books and literature written for merchants.

Our company deals in gemstones, jewelry components, and finished silver jewelry. If anyone has any resources they would like to share with me that are specifically relevant to this field, I would be very much appreciative.

Lastly, I would like to point out that within a year our company will be giving Firemountaingems a run for it's money.

Thanks very much,

Nick

Smile Gemstones! Firemountain etc...
    1. I was wondering if anyone had any information about effective affiliate marketing programs for popular bead websites like Firemountaingems.com, artbeads.com, etc.

2. I was wondering if anyone had any sources of information I could use to go research these places to find out about their affiliate marketing programs.

3. I need to know if these types of questions are in poor practice and will be seen as malicious or deviant. I think the smartest thing to do is research effective affiliate programs to learn why they work to make my own own successful; I'm not at all intending on plagiarizing anyone else's work.

4. I'm in the Gemstone/Jewelry industry so if anyone has any helpful resources they can share specifically related to my field, I would be very appreciative. I would also love to chat with anyone in this industry to share ideas/resources.

Thanks!

Nick

ABW Ambassador

Oh cool, I've already ordered this book. Thanks a lot!

I have read that book and it's great. Also, I found that Revenue Magazine is a great resource as well as attending conferences such as CJU and Ad Tech to learning about online advertising.

http and a telephoto
    Reading right here at ABW is your best bet. The merchant best practices forum is a good place to start.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yowza, a bit pricey! Is it really worth the cost? What happens at these conferences that is so valuable?

ABW Ambassador
    You can try to catch one of these, can't find when there is a next one?

http://www.andyrodriguez.com/Affilia...-Miami-05.html

http and a telephoto
    You do need to research appropriate affiliate marketing techniques and those in your vertical. You need to do some searching and reading about affiliate marketing in general first, then how to apply it to your business model specifically.
    Deborah Carney

1) Google is your friend as far as researching what your competition currently does.

2) You've already found your way to one of the most (if not the most) "helpful resources" on affiliate marketing in the world. Read around this forum (especially the Merchant Best Practices part), and you will learn a lot. Whether you're in retail, B2B, or service, all of what you find there will apply.

Best of luck and welcome to ABW.

Geno

Welcome Nick! My husband and I are jewelry makers, and affiliate marketers, of course!
    Firemountaingems does not have any sort of affiliate program in place to my knowledge or I would have them on my jewelry site.
    This is a great place to start researching though, lots of great people with experience in about everything you could ask in regards to affiliate marketing!

OMG the day Fire Mountain launches an affiliate program is the day I'll dance naked at the busiest intersection on Main Street.

Several of the larger magazine subscription programs carry Lapidary Journal though. And if you do a link search on some of the affiliate networks you will find that some jewelry programs have a selection of loose stones and findings.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

David, it's that good?

Where do I sign and is there a Google map so that I can join you on Main Street?

There is a market for loose stones and beads too.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Nick,

I am currently building a niche website and have similiar questions. From my research here, I have found it helpful to do a google search of "beads + affiliates" or something similiar to find out what affiliate programs are out there for this genre. I have had some success with this. I have gone to supplier websites to see if they have affiliate programs, but most do not. Also, I have been looking at other related websites to see what products they advertise. I have an excel spreadsheet set up so I can record any possilbe partners to refer to later in the process.

I did a search here for beads and jewelry making but came up with very little, pretty much finished jewelry merchants.

Basically it takes alot of research and my plan is to contact merchants that I would like to advertise and see if we can come up with some kind of arrangement (i.e. affiliate program).

I know I'm taking a risk here by helping the competition, but I believe in the law of attraction and in giving we also recieve. I have confidence that my website will be unique to the market and there is unlimited abundance for all of us.

I would also love to chat with you about this, unfortunatly because we are both newbies we can't PM each other. Any ideas to contact each other without posting our emails, would be great.

Best of luck... Bud

Nick,

Just read your post in the "introduce yourself" section and probably misread your post in this thread. Guess I was so excited to see someone looking for similiar info that I jumped the gun. Anyway, hope your business thrives and that you do start an affiliate program. We do need more merchant affilates in this category.

Bud

within a year our company will be giving Firemountaingems a run for it's money.
    That's kinda like saying "our band is going to be bigger than The Beatles".

If/when the time comes that you do launch an affiliate program, it might be best to base your promotional pitches on actual current/past performance numbers. Hype is a big turnoff.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nickolusroy
    Yowza, a bit pricey! Is it really worth the cost? What happens at these conferences that is so valuable?
    Nick, really, reading would be a good idea
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Having 2 threads about basically the same thing was too confusing, merged them into one so Nick can get all his advice in the same place.
    Deborah Carney

"A Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing" - Geno Prussakov
    "Successful Affiliate Marketing for Merchants" - Shawn Collins
    Right here there are affiliates and knowing them as people and affiliates is good start to really getting to know the industry and its colleagues

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    That's kinda like saying "our band is going to be bigger than The Beatles".

If/when the time comes that you do launch an affiliate program, it might be best to base your promotional pitches on actual current/past performance numbers. Hype is a big turnoff.

Don't forget that the Beatles weren't exactly modest about what they would become. When they were originally playing dumpy night clubs their band manager said they would be bigger than Elvis... was he wrong?

Although I appreciate your advice in pitching to affiliates, I personally have to disagree with your general pessimism. No one will get anywhere by saying "yeah we're alright... yeah we might be good."

At this point I am not willing to openly share numbers/statistics about what our company has done so far, but we have got some really exciting stuff coming up and I completely stand behind it.

"Dreams are blueprints for the future"
    -TonyCafaro ABW philanthropist LOL

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread