Tons of hits and little Sales
    Ok, I am helping my wife with here handbag blog. The site has been up for about 3 months and it is averaging around 20 to 30 hits per day, mainly search engine traffic. Most of the product links on the website redirect to a affiliates website where visitors can purchase the product they reviewed on her site. The web site does not have any how to help or any thing, it just describes the product and gives them the option to purchase it, which will redirect to here merchants.

How do would she increase the conversion rate of hits to more sales?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Do you know how many people are clicking over to those offers? Not how many on her blog but how many going over to look?

She really should be getting a sale for every 100 to 200 people looking at a page if it converts at all.

Plus how friendly and conversational is the blog? How does she suggest items? Do you have any metrics of how much time people spend on her site? ie Google Analytics or something...

20 to 30 hits per day is not near enough traffic for starters. When it gets up into the 200 - 300 visitors a day, then you might start seeing some sales.

One thing she could try for boosting traffic is to start answering questions on Yahoo Answers, and post links to her blog as the source (they have a section at the end of each answer where you can post links to pages that support your answer).

If people like her answers, they'll rate them "Best Answer" and then she'll get several hundred hits that day and plenty of hits moving forward too. I try to answer a question a day on that site, and had 2 of them recently voted best answers... which made for a nice boost in traffic.

Don't focus this early on sales/conversions. Just focus on writing more articles and reviews.

Also, I've found that the fewer the banner ads and other advertisements I have on my site, the better. In fact, sales seem better higher when I don't have any banner ads in the side bar margins. I don't know if that's what you have on your site, but it's typical for people starting out to throw a bunch of banner ads and hope for sales. It actually backfires for blogs imho.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    As already stated traffic to your site, although obviously meaningful, is secondary to click throughs to the merchant site. Do you know how many people are leaving your site to the merchant? You can then compare your order to CTR rate see is you are driving good traffic or not.

But I agree with the others. Your focus now needs to be getting far greater numbers than 20 daily visitors. Get the eyes and then make sure you make it easy and appropriate to click off to the merchant.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

it takes a lot of eyes looking at a site before sales are made. Also, you say you get a lot of hits, but are those people really coming looking to buy those handbags? Maybe you ranked high for some ancillary term, where people are looking for "patent leather" but wanted pants instead of a handbag, so they come to your site and don't buy.

It takes a lot of analysis to figure it out, but keep at it, and as you grow you'll hopefully get a targeted handbag audience.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    The google and yahoo bots usually don't purchase anything.

I have a site devoted to all sorts of handbags which gets hundreds of visitors on a number of different phrases - and I get hardly any sales. Maybe handbags are one of those items people research on line but then like to go and see the real thing!

Ok, I understand that the more hits the better the chance, but she has people hitting here blog, using keyword phrases dooney & bourkes + the handbag they are searching for. And I understand every hit want convert, but how can I encourage visitors to buy.
    I am thinking that when a visitor comes to the site, their intent maybe to purchase a handbag, but once they click the link to redirect to the merchant site, they maybe getting turned off. Does anyone think here merchant is losing here sales or is it something more to encourage visitor to buy.

If you know who's hitting the site, then in your text put a sense of urgency. Maybe list a coupon that will expire soon, or sale items, so they need to buy soon to get the sale. Also offering comparisons or reviews can help people decide.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Do you mean 20-30 hits or 20-30 visitors? There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Is there a way to change that? I keep trying.

Seriously, check out this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ghlight=Roland

Roland was using datafeeds [he might have been paying for the feed?] ... Anyway, he had thousands of hits with no sales. That thread is an LS thread but the idea of hits with a lack of sales isn't specific to any one network.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Maybe have her point out clearly that they are being redirected to a merchant site to BUY the purse.

She could add: Buy this purse here: linktomerchant.com

If click throughs drop off, that will at least give an indication of what they're going to her site to find: information or to buy purses, then she'll need to re-work her blog into a site so she can sell stuff or link from her blog to an actual site.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Read the Affiliate Masters ebook: http://aff-masters.sitesell.com/AffMasters.pdf

Especially applicable for blogs is the concept of preselling, NOT selling.

The harder you try to sell on a blog, the faster they'll run.... away. (learned from personal experience failing on 8 out of 10 blogs this last year - but I'm getting it right on the other two, which are making good money now)

I agree with RickPlmr on the pre-selling. It's the merchants job to "sell" the merchandise, it's our job to get the visitors in the buying mode. I have a site that has very little traffic right now, I average about 15-20 visitors a day, but I also average 1 sale for every 30 visitors.

Hopefully my traffic will pick up soon, been working on getting backlinks, submitting to directories, etc.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Is there a way to change that? I keep trying.
    As soon as I find out how to do this I will let you know, but it will have to stay between us.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Do you mean 20-30 hits or 20-30 visitors? There's a difference.
    I mean, 20 - 30 visitors

[QUOTE=Rexanne]Maybe have her point out clearly that they are being redirected to a merchant site to BUY the purse.

She could add: Buy this purse here: linktomerchant.com

If click throughs drop off, that will at least give an indication of what they're going to her site to find: information or to buy purses, then she'll need to re-work her blog into a site so she can sell stuff or link from her blog to an actual site.[/QUOT]

My wife said, "Great Idea", she will try it!!

How many merchants is the site using? Try spreading out the opportunities for a sale. The downside is you have to wait even longer to evaluate things.

From my experience, there are a lot of 'dud' merchants out there, you'd be more likely to win the lottery than make a sale from them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by karnetics
    I mean, 20 - 30 visitors
    Did you read this? http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ghlight=Roland

It often takes more than 20-30 hits to sell a product.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It often takes me 20-30 clicks to sell a product, which can often mean about 400 visits. (although this ratio varies widely from site to site)

In fact, that was close to my situation yesterday from a technology-gadget-related site that has been converting about $10 a day on average all month. I had 399 visitors and 16 clicks... and sadly no sales (yet, anyway... sometimes they don't show up until the next day, and it's 2 in the morning right now, so I'm still crossing my fingers).

Then again, there are other times when I'll get lucky on a low traffic site and get a sale after only 30 visits and a single click out of the blue (which is great when it's a $90 commissioned web hosting sale). But that's very rare - happens maybe once every other month.

Others on this forum may have different/better/worse experiences with conversions on their sites, but I always wondered when I first got started what others were experiencing on their sites. And when they were willing to share this kind of information, it helped me reset my expectations and dig in for the long haul marathon that is finally starting to pay off after almost a year of persistently trying to find a formula that works.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    How many merchants is the site using? Try spreading out the opportunities for a sale. The downside is you have to wait even longer to evaluate things.

From my experience, there are a lot of 'dud' merchants out there, you'd be more likely to win the lottery than make a sale from them, lol.
    Using 1 merchant

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    How about MSN bots?

Seriously, you need to have more traffic to gauge that.
    And also for blogs, most of the time, they are browsers. I had 600 views but no sales. It varies
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread