View Poll Results: What is the biggest threat to your commissions?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merchant / Network Tracking Issues

10 37.04%
  • Parasites

4 14.81%
  • Merchant Leaks

1 3.70%
  • Blocked Cookies / Cookie Removal Software

7 25.93%
  • TradeMark Poachers

2 7.41%
  • Other (please post your thought below)

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest threat to your commissions.

Outsourced Program Manager
    What is the biggest threat to your commissions.
    I've seen some interesting threads on this topic lately, and wanted to get a consensus as to what you thought. I am especially interested in any "other" responses that we receive.

Adding Trademark Poachers to Poll before any votes were cast.

Michael, I voted other because there really is no way to know how most of these affect our commissions.

I'm still relatively new to AM, especially compared to how long some of you guys have been around. Getting used to the "wild west" attitude of this industry has been the hardest adjustment for me. If you've followed some of my previous posts you'll notice that I tend to put a lot of emphasis on contracts and the law and how they are applied (or not) in the affiliate arena. To me the biggest problem in affiliate marketing is the lack of laws that govern what networks, merchants AND affiliates can and can't do. That combined with the total lack of transparency and accountability would be totally unheard of in any other LEGAL enterprise that I'm familiar with.

Transparency in this case forces honesty. I'm a firm believer in the term "Inspect what you expect", however I have no way to measure my expectations other than to put a lot of faith and trust in organizations and individuals that can and do profit from not being trustworthy.

Give me transparency and most of these threats become non-issues.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Very interesting thoughts Rematt, thank you for contributing. I'm not sure how much Transparency can be given, since this will also expose your competition - and not many affiliates are ok with that. I see your point though....

What is a "trademark poacher"?

Mike -- Thanks much for the links. I don't want to take your poll off topic so I'll hold my analysis of Scooter's position for a more appropriate thread!

I voted other. My "other" is competition from affiliates most of which I admire and some of which I hopefully won't have to imitate.

Talking
    I wish you could select more than one.

I think cooking blocking and tracking are both the main causes for lost sales.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I wish you could select more than one...
    I, too, would consider more than one. I chose Tracking, but would add Merchant Leaks as a second choice. Fortunately I don't [yet] have to worry about parasites because I do not work with merchants using parasites. However, that is keeping me away from some "name brands" that I might like to have. So, I suppose that would/should/could be a third choice.

Clear as mud, eh?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I agree with BurgerBoy. I've voted for "Merchant / Network Tracking Issues" (seen quite a bit of that lately; and disabled a few PPC campaigns and took down quite a few pages), but I wish I could also chose the "Blocked Cookies / Cookie Removal Software".

Geno

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Mike

It's like asking would you rather be hit by a car, a train or a plane?

They all stink

They all have the same end result

I don't think anyone can pick just one

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Mike

It's like asking would you rather be hit by a car, a train or a plane?

They all stink

They all have the same end result

I don't think anyone can pick just one
    Lol, I could always count on you for a good translation billy.

Actually, I'm asking what do you think is more likely, getting hit by a car, train, or plane, not which you would prefer.

Planes and Trains: game over

Cars: might get lucky and walk away with only a scratch or bruise

You're more likely to get hit by a car though (at least it's been a while since I've had to cross paths with a train or a plane)

Yes, they all suck, but I voted for cookie blocking because it seems the most likely/frequently occuring thing to happen.

I just got a Macbook and it comes with cookies blocked by default.
    Antivirus/antispyware programs do that as well.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Mike

I'm NOT busting your chops - I promise!!!!

Since all commissions start with visitors, my biggest fear (threat) is Goog! I wake up every day hoping my sites still rank. And hoping that the one-line description they use to describe my site is relevent.

...Since all commissions start with visitors, my biggest fear (threat) is Goog! I wake up every day hoping my sites still rank. And hoping that the one-line description they use to describe my site is relevent.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

(Yahoo, too. They are the superstar for a couple of my sites where Goog doesn't even know I exist. But the majority of my sites get the bulk of their traffic from the Big G.)

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    I actually think that blocked cookies and cookie removal are the biggest threat to the way our industry currently tracks affiliate referrals. I saw it when N*rton was blocking cookies and I watched friends go to my sites and follow the path to go make purchases and watched them automatically click "reject" or "block" when the software popped up and said "this is a threat, do you want to accept it". Shoppers block what they are told is dangerous, and cookies are marked as dangerous.

It's a mindset and we can't change it. Shopper behavior is what is a threat to commissions more than anything else.

Trademark poachers affect brands, and lots of the merchants we promote don't have big brands that people are searching on, so only a small percentage of those affiliate sales are diverted, if any at all. The only thing out of our control is the competitors that bid on trademarks and divert the traffic to their sites and away from the brand that was bid on initially.

Merchant leaks are part of a problem with merchant landing pages, merchants can be contacted to change that. Tracking issues can be fixed with proper communication. Parasites can be removed from merchants with proper communication. All the problems EXCEPT cookie blocking/deletion *can* be addressed directly with networks/merchants.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Mike

I'm NOT busting your chops - I promise!!!!

Since all commissions start with visitors, my biggest fear (threat) is Goog! I wake up every day hoping my sites still rank. And hoping that the one-line description they use to describe my site is relevent.
    Bravo Billy. In offline days, I'd wake up each day with that little "empty" feeling hoping that print advertising would continue to be productive, that ad rates would not increase for a while, that my ads would continue to be in good positions, that the quality of the prospects would remain constant and that the effectiveness of our presentations would convert sales. Google is now my USA Today, and with every day comes a certain amount of change and uncertainty. Same scenario, different media...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Uh - almost forgot to add this...

False sense of security / not acting on future plans adequately. Staying where we are because things are going well today, so the incentive / vision to be planning ahead is lessened by status quo.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    All the problems EXCEPT cookie blocking/deletion *can* be addressed directly with networks/merchants.
    Wouldn't it be nice if your cookies could be verified under a security certificate like VeriSign issues for SSL? And then if cookie blocking software and browsers would respect them through something like P3P they might survive.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Wouldn't it be nice if your cookies could be verified under a security certificate like VeriSign issues for SSL? And then if cookie blocking software and browsers would respect them through something like P3P they might survive.
    It would be, but CJ and LS cookies are specifically targeted by spyware/adware blocking software.
    Deborah Carney

Billy - I know, if you were busting my chops, I'm pretty sure I could tell. By the way, I'm in Vegas on Tuesday and Wednesday for Shop.org, if you're gonna be there, let's meet up!

Alan - Complacency - This, in my opinion, is the largest threat to our commissions. Everything on the poll above can be changed - even the cookie blocking. Thank you for posting this. I've seen some posts around here where people are saying "We did the best that we could" but still allow some of the above to occur. I'm not calling anyone out, I really like pretty much everyone on this board. I just know Suluta has turned down clients because they wouldn't change things on the list above. When it comes down to it, we as OPMs make the same decisions that affiliates do (work with merchants who have the issues in the poll or not). "All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good (wo)men [affiliates] to do nothing".

Loxly - Actually, one thing that Linkshare has going for them is that Merchant dropped cookies are used for sales tracking, not the "linksynergy" cookie that is dropped by LS and often blocked. I don't forsee N*rton or anyone else blocking merchant dropped cookies since these are often critical for shopping carts to function correctly.

-Mike

http and a telephoto
    Billy gets a "let's meet up" and I don't? hrumf....
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    Loxly - Actually, one thing that Linkshare has going for them is that Merchant dropped cookies are used for sales tracking, not the "linksynergy" cookie that is dropped by LS and often blocked. I don't forsee N*rton or anyone else blocking merchant dropped cookies since these are often critical for shopping carts to function correctly.

-Mike
    When I watched my friends shop, it prompted them to block merchant cookies too, and when the cart didn't work, they allowed them, but by then is the affiliate code lost? Something else to ponder.
    Deborah Carney

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I chose blocked cookies, too. Seems the one thing we can't control on our end to any degree.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast