Hello Zappos!!!! Anyone home??
    Hello???? Is anybody out there? Neill? Where are you? Hello!!!

Answer the door! Can't you hear me knocking?

Hello!
    The best things in life are not things at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Airstrip
    Hello???? Is anybody out there? Neill? Where are you? Hello!!!

Answer the door! Can't you hear me knocking?

Hello!
    According to Internet Retailer dot com, "Zappos, which is expecting online sales to total about $800 million in 2007, also says that three-fourths of shoppers who make a purchase each day on Zappos.com are repeat customers."

So, you better believe somebody is home. And with somebody obviously home, it is also becomes obvious they no longer care about maintaining good communications with their affiliates.

In that same article their CEO was quoted as saying, “We continue to grow primarily through repeat customers and word-of-mouth,”

So, it becomes evident how they feel about affiliates as being important to the growth of Zappos - NOT.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Amen.. What Beachy Said!!

5 emails over the past 2 weeks and no reply to any of them. When Qiana first left, there was some communication. They even adjusted the performance bonuses for me. And now......... Nuttin' at TALL!!

I can understand a need for some extra effort with setting up and adjusting the new 6PM affiliate whack. But what is very unprofessional is how a merchant just TOTALLY ignores our requests or emails.

Again....... Ditto to what Beachy said.

Why not call them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabz
    Why not call them ?
    I will try the first of the week. Is there a direct number for the AM? Nabz, you may PM me if you have a number and would rather not post it here.

Thanks

Why not call them ?
    Hmmmmm...no response (yes OR no) to a new program application (twice), their lack of posting on ABW, no response to email from several current affiliates and [at least] one potential affiliate, and a recent change in affiliate marketing philosophy (parasites). Those actions, or inactions, tell me enough; at this point I don't believe I care to talk with them.

Just my 2-cents ('cause I spent the rest of my $$ buying shoes)...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I will try the first of the week. Is there a direct number for the AM? Nabz, you may PM me if you have a number and would rather not post it here.

Thanks

I don't have AM #. Why not call their toll-free number and ask them to direct your call to AM.

I was reading an article where it was mentioned that Zappos is working with more than 17,000 Affiliates. Maybe half of them sent them an email on Updated Terms, and Neill sunk in Mails. The email they sent in first place was so uninformative, which I am sure made most of their affiliates to fireup an email. Which I did too.

I was reading an article where it was mentioned that Zappos is working with more than 17,000 Affiliates. Maybe half of them sent them an email on Updated Terms, and Neill sunk in Mails. The email they sent in first place was so uninformative, which I am sure made most of their affiliates to fireup an email. Which I did too.
    Exactly why I sent off a few emails as well.... You may be right Nabz, the email box might be full.

Wink
    Exactly why I sent off a few emails as well.... You may be right Nabz, the email box might be full.
    And nobody is checking it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    And nobody is checking it.
    Now that's another story. lol

Zappos: didn't at one time they had one of the strongest affiliate programs on the web? and now their saying most their customers are repeat customers or they get them by word of mouth. i'd like to think affilites deserve some credit in building their business. the least they can do is reply to your emails.

It's always interesting to see how merchants react once they become monstously big. You have to look at Zappos like a WalMart now. While they should recognize the value in a strong affiliate program, they tend to instead start concerning themselves with cross-channel spend and brand dilution.

It's unenviable in many ways. When you have that many sales coming in the door, its bound to be costing you quite a bit if you're double or triple paying for advertising costs.

I think Coley has a great "post-success" strategy for larger merchants like Zappos. Start paying bounties on new customers.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a network that has the capability to automatically know the difference between a new and repeat customer. That data isn't shared by the merchant, so it would all have to be done as a batch or something by the merchant.

I would hope that Zappos wouldn't bail on its affiliates, but rather find a way to use them to grow further. Someone needs to come up with something that solves this issue.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I know this might sound ic; but i think this is the name of the game. once a company builds their brand, locks a customer into their newsletter, even figures out how we acquire customers (i tend to believe affiliate marketers are better then their 'college educated' internet marketers), what do they need us for?

heck, i remember a company i was working with..their affiliate program was doing great. so well in fact they decided to eliminate the program and hire an in-house team (interns-much cheaper then affiliate programs). i can't say i blame them. this is a business and we're here all to make money.

i just think we have to move around. find new programs to promote and not put all your eggs in one basket. what's working good today may not work so good tomorrow. things change.

just my 2 cents.

Last I heard from them was on Sept 4th. I've since sent at least two emails with no response.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I had an email yesterday from 'Zappos Associate Marketing Team' to say that a 'making good' transaction would be in the next CJ payment.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread