Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs up Increase traffic by answering Yahoo questions
    Here's another way to increase traffic to your site without spending money on PPC:

Answer questions on http://answers.yahoo.com/ and include a link to your site in the answer (well, not directly in the answer, but they have a "source link" section below the answer where you can list your sources, which makes a perfect place for a backlink to your site).

People post questions to this site on every imaginable topic, so you're sure to find some that relate to your area of expertise.

You can also click "Advanced Search" and check the option to only search for questions that are still open for answers.

And if your answer is voted "best answer", you'll get a very sizable bump in traffic for a week or so. I just had two answers voted "best answers" and it bumped traffic up by a couple hundred visitors a day for the last few days in a row.

Just make sure your answers are informative and not spammy. Your goal is to help people solve their problems, not get them to your site (or at least that's what you want your post to look like). Focusing on the former accomplishes the latter along the way.

Hope it helps

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    nice info rick...

Wow, I just checked: they're asking questions that even I may be able to answer!

Thanks Rick
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You and me both Rhia

I like this.

Thanks, Rick.

Geno

Sound advice. Or you could take this a step further and provide your own question and answer site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Sound advice. Or you could take this a step further and provide your own question and answer site.
    True. At least this already has a ready group of willing participants -- some people are shy about asking advice.

My advice to anyone stating a question & answer site is to not ask for real names but for nick names/first names only/code names (keep it as anonymous as possible).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    - Scott
    I already have

But for now, Yahoo has a much higher page rank and links are picked up very quickly.

ABW Ambassador
    What is a sizable bump in traffic?

http and a telephoto
    LinkedIn has an answers section now also.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I already have

But for now, Yahoo has a much higher page rank and links are picked up very quickly.
    It's important to note, that the links have a nofollow tag. No link juice from them. But any exposure is still good.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

knight01, great point - I hadn't thought of that with regards to search engine up take.

Yep, still good for exposure/traffic, but won't help increase page rank from being linked to Yahoo.

Great tip. I just recently started paying attention to this the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    What is a sizable bump in traffic?
    chetf, I quantified that in my original post... although that should be taken with a grain of salt since a couple hundred extra hits a day might only be a drop in the bucket for some affiliates, whereas it makes noobies like me smile really big

At one time maybe 5 or 6 months ago I had my own team of writers just posting/joining and placing info on yahoo answers. Some would answer each other with a link back to my sites. Think I had about 10 yahoo accounts myself.

There is no pr benefit but who cares about that anymore, I was averaging about 500 visits a day from yahoo to each site that I decided to use on this venture. I have cut back to only using three of my sites now.

My advice is to stick to one or two topics that you are interested in and become an expert there.

I actually started using this method AFTER I found my website already listed from someone else as an answer. The answer wasn't even voted the best, but I still got a surge of traffic that I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Now I go and search for questions that I can answer and put my website as the source. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    There sure are a lot of questions from kids looking for help with their homework. (i.e. "What is 1/3 of 60?" I was gong to answer that with a link to my barware site, but .....)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    chetf, I quantified that in my original post... although that should be taken with a grain of salt since a couple hundred extra hits a day might only be a drop in the bucket for some affiliates, whereas it makes noobies like me smile really big
    A few hundred visitors from highly targeted traffic? Does the traffic convert? Probably worth the time. Just figure how much would you have paid in CPC for that traffic vs how long it took you. Also seems to be actually helpful, which is a rare win/win and a good way to spread your site name if your site is brandable.

Does yahoo filter the responses? Because checking quick, it seems pretty spam free.

Cool find.

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    I actually started using this method AFTER I found my website already listed from someone else as an answer. The answer wasn't even voted the best, but I still got a surge of traffic that I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
    I just added google analytics to some of my sites and yesterday I saw some hits from yahoo answers, so someone has added my site in an answer. I haven't gone to look yet, but will be checking it out this week
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    A few hundred visitors from highly targeted traffic? Does the traffic convert? Probably worth the time. Just figure how much would you have paid in CPC for that traffic vs how long it took you. Also seems to be actually helpful, which is a rare win/win and a good way to spread your site name if your site is brandable.
    Chet
    I usually post answers that are copied from an article I've already written on my site, so I can usually bang a few out on the way into work on the bus each morning :-)

I'm not sure if the traffic is converting from this source, but things are converting in general (I just haven't developed good habits yet for tracking that sort of thing... it's on my todo list though)

I started answering questions there when they first opened. I answered about real estate and mortgage loans, with nearly 2 decades in the business I felt it was a way to give back after I left the industry. when I started getting serious about learning the affiliate marketing ins-and-outs I sort of forgot about the site.

About a month ago I found a link in the logs of one of my sites from there, I clicked to see what was going on and it was a 'light bulb' moment.

The niche site had information and links to affiliate programs people were looking for on answers. I started trying to dedicate an hour a day to really answering questions. Not just a standard copy and paste response. But addressing the askers question with good information. Directing them to not only my site but a couple of other sites.

While I don't know how long this will last, in the last 30 days, revenue I can track directly from my actions has been about triple what I normally earn in a given month in affiliate marketing.

A couple keys that I've found are cutting through the spam link posters (and there are lot of them). i.e. I've found the information you need, but it is quite long, please see it at -spam link-, I set myself up as an expert by offering in depth answers customized to the question being asked. Also by specifically addressing how visiting the sites referenced will provide additional help to the asker they tend to actually visit the sites and follow my suggestions.

I think the key is finding a niche section that can be marketed to without appearing to be marketing.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I got a few best answers but they banned me. I added my link but didn't added it in the source. I was new so I messed up. I did reply and told them I wasn't aware that I couldn't add my link in the answers but I did notice traffic coming from them.

I have a 41% best answer rating, but haven't seen much on the traffic front. Might have to try a more popular consumer category at some point.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

That's an excellent advice. Thanks Rick.

It's a verry nice trick indeed but if you pay attention you'll see that new members will get banned if they post the same link a few times...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast