More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Anybody Patent an Invention?
    I am working on an innovative archery product and am about to test out the prototype. If it works as I hope, the next step is to get the idea to production without getting it stolen. A patent is an easy way to protect the idea, but not cheap. $8000 is about what it takes these days - at least that's what several different sources told me. And then I am not guaranteed anybody will pick up the idea and produce it. I am thinking if I drew up detailed plans along with photos of the prototype and then formally copyright them, I might have some protection. My hope is to get a large company to pick up the idea, take it to production, and give me a percentage.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Wink
    I have a product in mind that every household will want and needs - but I've never done anything about it because no doubt the idea will be stolen by whoever you get to help you and they will make all of the money and all I will get is screwed and they won't even use any vasoline.

I believe all I need to develope it is a good honest programmer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

No doubt a large corporation will try to steal the idea. My brother worked at a large corporation and he said when people proposed inventions, they would persuade the inventor to leave the product for a short time and then several people would quickly dismantle it to find out how it worked while the inventor was away.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    When i was in college, a prof was a patent lawyer for oil drilling tools. 5-8k sound right and you need to find a lawyer that knows the subject matter. Even with a patent, somebody can look at your patent and make something that is close or better than it. So you want the lawyer to write something that covers your bases. Not too broad and not too narrow.

Best

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Cheesehead,

I've gone through the first steps of the process. First, you have to hire a patent lawyer to conduct a search through existing patents to make sure your idea isn't taken already. This may sound redundant, but it is important to find any similar patents and emphasize the differences in your product. This process took 6 weeks, and my lawyer charged $1,300 for this.

Once you find all similar patents and are confident you can differentiate, you have 2 choices: A provisional or a full patent.

A provisional patent will protect your idea for 1 or 2 years (I think it's 2, but don't remember). The provisional would have cost me $2,000. Before the 2 years are up, you can start the full patent process, using the 2 years to save up the $8 - $12k if you don't currently have it.

A good patent lawyer is vital, but will cost you. Try to find local inventors who have had success and ask for a referral. Good luck!

-Mike

I did a patent search once. Wow, that was interesting. It is a great way to spend a day looking at some BIZARRE inventions. I never found so many useless items that people thought were amazing ideas, haha! Of course, many were amazing but the stuff that wasn't? Some of the items were completely hysterical! haha!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    Hey Cheesehead,

I've gone through the first steps of the process. First, you have to hire a patent lawyer to conduct a search through existing patents to make sure your idea isn't taken already. This may sound redundant, but it is important to find any similar patents and emphasize the differences in your product. This process took 6 weeks, and my lawyer charged $1,300 for this.

Once you find all similar patents and are confident you can differentiate, you have 2 choices: A provisional or a full patent.

A provisional patent will protect your idea for 1 or 2 years (I think it's 2, but don't remember). The provisional would have cost me $2,000. Before the 2 years are up, you can start the full patent process, using the 2 years to save up the $8 - $12k if you don't currently have it.

A good patent lawyer is vital, but will cost you. Try to find local inventors who have had success and ask for a referral. Good luck!

-Mike
    Right on the money Mike. I have several merchant clients who only sell their own patented and Registered Trademark products. Once granted they have no problem arranging exclusive manufacturing rights to a 3rd party while maintaining tight quality control rights.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I did a patent search once. Wow, that was interesting. It is a great way to spend a day looking at some BIZARRE inventions. I never found so many useless items that people thought were amazing ideas, haha! Of course, many were amazing but the stuff that wasn't? Some of the items were completely hysterical! haha!
    Good point! As the inventor, we "want" our invention to be the best thing since sliced bread. So we downplay the negatives in our own mind. And to keep things secret, we don't get too many outside opinions. I want to keep this in mind before I scrape together 8-10K of money I don't have to spare.

There are some good sources of info like http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-art...your_product=i (and a LOT of bad ones!) but I wanted to get some firsthand experience from forum members here.

If you go provisional, you write up your idea as best and completely as possible (best to get the blessing of a patent atty), and submit that, and it gives you a year to then file the non-provisional (real) patent. So you can file a provisional, then shop it around and see if anyone is interested, and make your decision on next steps 8 mos or so down the road.

Patenting your product will NOT prevent it from being stolen!!!! It's important to look at your product, products similiar, and potential threat products that could be developed. What could be better about that and patent that specific part.

Example:

You have a golf club, but it has a special grip. You patent the grip and not the club.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread