I'm trying to set up some rules for determing when to pull a product that is predominately featured on a page and replace it with a different product.

Specifically, after how much time/page views do I decide that a product just isn't going to sell and it's time to try offering something else? I realize that this varies with price point, so if you could include that in your answer, it would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

I build pages and just forget them. I go on and build more pages repeat repeat repeat. Some pages are complete duds others turn out to make really good money. I don't go back and fix up old pages unless I know for sure I can improve them somehow.

Since I run a portal site, many of the pages (e.g. links) are better off being updated then replaced. So I need to determine some type of metric for determing when to change an offer.

www.netsweat.com

What you want to do requires some programming skills on your end.
    Track Impressions and Clikthroughs yourself and program a logic to replace non-performing links based on the results.
    The Programming on your end helps to determine how many people actually click on your ads, but not, how they convert.

Some Affiliate Networks allow to pass a Tracking Code, which you can utilize for your own Tracking.
    I saw, that you have a lot of Amazon links. They do not offer that feature. If you show each product only on one page, no problem to figure the conversion rate out by yourself. If you display them on different pages, problem.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

I've got it set up as much as possible so that I cross page views with click through ratios by product. I just don't know what a good margin of click throughs to use before punt kicking one product and replacing it with another.

www.netsweat.com

My $0.02 is that it depends on how the visitor is coming to your site.

For instance, if they've come in looking specifically for the GnomeCo 2000 Advanced Garden Gnome then you'll get a much higher clickthrough rate (CTR) than just advertising a related product and hoping they'll be interested. In the first case you should get a CTR of more than 10%, probably 20% or even higher. CTR for the second case is probably only going to be around 1%-2% or less.

Even in the best case your conversion rate (CR)after clicktthough isn't going to top much more than 2-4%.

A look at your web stats should give you an idea of how visitors reach your site.

Are you looking at a handful of very busy pages or a more even spread throughout the site?

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

I've been looking all over for the GnomeCo 2000 Advanced Garden Gnome!!! Can you tell me where I can get it?

I'm looking at products sitewide. Some of the pages are viewed less than others and I'm taking that into consideration. On each page, I have a featured product that relates to a particular topic on that page, so its easy for me to adjust.

If I get a click through rate of 4%, but no sales, how many page views should I give it before pulling the plug?

www.netsweat.com

It's really hard to tell. We set our "limits" based on comparrision with other merchants getting the same quallity of traffic.
    Our Traffic is not highly targeted so we set our limits lower (like a conversion rate of 1% is bad, lower than 1% means watch closely, lower than 0.5% hands off).

Your Traffic is more targeted. That means visitors of the page have most likely an interest in the topic. You Affiliate Link is also highly Targeted. A single Product related to the content of the Page.
    Your conversion rate should not drop below 5% (meaning 100 clicks = 5 sales/leads). But that is just a guess.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

Thanks Carsten. That gives a ballpark figure to work with.

www.netsweat.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread