Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Online Marketing Consultant
    what was your first job
    I couldn't find the thread about this, so I figured why not start a new one.

A friend sent me this link a while back as something to laugh at and remember.

My first job in highschool and college was a night club and large scale electronic music event dj and an actor. From there I was already doing email blasts from sign up pages and with production companies, watching people work on websites, playing with meta tags etc... and I found out afterwards that people make money doing this so I went into internet marketing.

That is the short version.....BTW here is a couple pics from back in the day lol.

http://www.geocities.com/polarprod/djs/preshure.html
    http://www.geocities.com/polarprod/e...aginepics.html

I'm in this one too down a bit, but with brown hair.
    http://www.geocities.com/polarprod/events/grrrpics.html

So, what was your first job and how did you get into the internet marketing arena?

P.S. I still have my turntables and records, some things you just can't let go =0).
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Popcorn Peanut gut at the stadium.

"POPCOONNE PEEENUTS get your POPCOONE PEENUTS here!"

Looks like I still got it

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    There actually IS a thread something like this from last year floating around ABW but it's always fun to relive the past again. ;-)

My first 'job' was at 15 as an actress. Didn't seem like work except having to be awake and coherent by 5 AM was torture. UGH
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

My first job was when I was 14. I was a tour guide at Luray Caverns...
    http://www.luraycaverns.com/

I am pretty sure I can remember what to say at every stop including that the Caverns were discovered on August 13th, 1878 by Andrew Campbell and his nephew after finding a sinkhole while out on a walk, the walk is a mile and a quarter through the cave and it is a 68 step climb to the top, lol!

I did 6 tours a day and worked there from the time I was 14 until I was 19 and made a whopping dollar and seventy cents an hour, plus tips if i was lucky! It was cool though, because I met all kinds of interesting people and got lots of exercise at the same time! Other jobs held ( in addition to being a tour guide over the years) included mcdonalds, roy rogers, and pizza hut.

I am SOOOO glad I don't have to work that hard anymore

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My first job was the summer after I graduated high school. I worked at a tiny country supermarket. Because the prices were so high we had very few customers except people who'd run out of bread or milk and couldn't be bothered to drive to town for groceries. I could eat anything I wanted from the store (as long as I ate it in the store -- no taking stuff home). I survived that summer on Slim Jims, ice cream sandwiches and root beer! What a life! (My boss was a real sweetheat, too.)

My first "real" real job was as an office clerk at a company that made biomedical mannequins. There was an entire room filled with nothing but human skeletons hanging from the ceiling! It sounds ghoulish but everyone there thought nothing of it. It was a very ordinary job at a very extraordinary company.

First job
    My first job was as a lifeguard... which I then did for another 8 years. And, just because I can't let go, I still work one shift a week as a "Facility Attendant" for the Rec Centre where I started...

I'm not sure what it's like elsewhere, but lifeguarding was an incredible job for me during high school and university... Fun work, flexible hours and 15-17 bucks an hour. You also learn some great crisis management and PR skills. If anyone out there has kids who are approaching 16 years of age (the minimum you need to be in Canada to work as a lifeguard, anyway), I would highly recommend enrolling them in some lifesaving courses. It certainly beats a McJob!

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

My first job was as a Math/English/Spanish tutor. I worked for the mother of one of my high school friends. She had her own little after-school tutoring center. I got paid $5 an hour to grade papers and tutor the kids. I also did freelance Spanish tutoring for students of my senior high school Spanish teacher who needed help. I was almost bilingual at the time (as at that point I'd had 12 years of Spanish lessons, mostly at private school), but I haven't been immersed in speaking Spanish like I was back then, so I'm pretty rusty.

My first "real" on-the-books job was as a shelf-stocker/cashier at a bookstore chain. That lasted 3 months. Retail was not for me. However, I quite enjoy selling online.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

My first job (if you want to call it that) was playing trumpet and trombone in an eight member jazz/rock (BS&T, Chicago, Litehouse, Cold Blood etc.) band when I was in high school. What a blast, we played at school dances, weddings, parties and a few clubs. We had a pretty good sound and reputation, seven of us went on to major in music and the eighth is now a doctor (most of us still keep in touch).

My first "real" job was working part-time at a record store (yes, back when there was still vinyl) while I was in college. I still managed to play in a few bands when time permitted.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

My first job was a Lot Attendant (Detailer and Minor Maintanence) at the Car Lot my father worked at when I was 14 off and on until I was 18 (usually summer, but some winter times when it wasn't below freezing).. I also worked as a Camp Counsler for an afterschool care program when I was 15. When i was 16, I started my stent of jobs at the mall, first at Lazarus (now Macy's).
    KK

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I started working during my last sumer off from high school. My "first" job was working one day taking inventory for Sears. Those were the days before everything was packaged, and I was assigned to the sporting goods section (yea) but what did they have me do? Count loose fish hooks! Thousands (or so it seemed) of loose fish hooks. For eight hours. Fish hooks.

Thankfully, it was a one-day-only job.

Then, I got the job I did the rest of the summer, and for a few months the next year. I graduated from high school in January, and started college in April (quarter system), so for a couple of months that preceding summer and for 3 more months before college, I delivered telephone books.

That job was a lot of physical work, but it paid pretty well. They paid by the route, that you got to pick yourself, and if you found a couple of medium-sized routes and did two a day as fast as you could, you could make $6 to $8/hr. (in 1967-68). I almost quit after the first couple of days, because delivering the phone books wasn't too bad, but you were supposed to ask to take the customers' old books, and you had to tie them up in bundles. That was harder work and more time consuming than delivering the new books. But, for some unknown reason, the company changed their policy my 3d day or so, and from then on not only did you not have to ask, but you could not take their old books.

The best job I ever had was my last 2 years in college. I worked in the fledgling audio department at Powell Library at UCLA. If you can believe it, my primary job was to take the LPs the school would purchase, and dub them on to reel-to-reel tape, to be used in the listening room by students. (I wonder if they ever converted to cassettes?) It was almost all spoken-work recordings, but at the end they started adding music as well. This was the highest-paying student job on campus. Most student jobs paid $1.65/hr but we got about $1/hr over that.

While the albums were recording, you could listen (sure), study, eat, or go outside and play baseball. We did all that.

I was supposed to graduate in April, 1971, but by taking one less class that quarter, I was able to stay in school till June, and that meant I could keep my job through August, when I finally had to leave for law school at a different U.

...then the headaches began.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I got my first job doing web development during my 2nd year of college. Worked my way through school, quit my job a year after graduation and here I am doing web development.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I had a paper route when I was 12 or so... For one of those little local Pennysaver type papers. It was horrible. If you have kids, don't get them involved in that....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

When I was in high school, 4 friends and I had a garage band where I played rhythm guitar and did most of the singing. We actually made a a few bucks doing some local gigs around town. My first real job was installing cable tv coax.

Joey

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    At the age of 15, I got a part-time job as a dish washer at a country club in St. Clair Shores, MI.

I had a paper route at age of 12, but I don't think that counts. That was a good $35 per week.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I got out from high school, I worked at a legal firm arranging files. Dang, it was dusty and gloomy. They paid pretty well.
    Went to college and worked on campus.

http and a telephoto
    Cashier at Rite Aid, started at age 15, stayed until I got married, was an assistant manager when I left. My (ex) husband wanted me to be a stay at home wife/mom. That didn't work out. The dreams 20 year olds have....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Circumcizing elephants. The pay wasn't much but the tips were big.

I made 50-cents a week for sweeping out the basement of the local "dime store," in the small Nebraska town where I grew up, when I was 9 years old.

Had a paper route that I did on a bicycle when I was 12 and living in Denver.

I suppose my first "real" job was washing dishes in a busy restaurant in Boise, Idaho, when I was a junior-senior in high school.

Always a lover of the skilled, big-ticket career, I was a full-time dishwasher at a small department store coffee shop the first summer St. Shirl and I were married (1967).
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    My first job was at age 12 as a stock boy at the local grocery store. I made $5.00 a day, which was nothing but I was King on my block where kids had nothing. It definitely taught me to work hard and earn my money. Humble beginnings...
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Ooooooooooooooo that's nasty!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The first j*b was either delivering the local weekly paper, or mowing some lady's HUGE lawn, forgot which. I was about 10 for both (yep that was "officially" too young for the paper, but they didn't care). Since the paper was only a weekly, it paid just $16/mo. On the good side, the paper itself was free, so I didn't have to do collections. The check was just delivered with the paper bundles every 4th week.

As for that lawn, I did that only once. I was overwhelmed! Not only was it huge and hilly, but I had the bad luck of finding a long string of fishing line with the mower, which I then had to untangle. Overall it took 4 hours or so to finish the whole yard, for $20. It was there that I learned that $20 is not always a massive amount (At that age, but before that j*b, I'd thought that $20 was riches!).

The first "real j*b" was making and serving up cookies at a cookie place in the mall. That was all the suckage I'd expected, and then some. The lesson I learned? If you want to keep liking a particular place's food, DON'T go for the behind-the-scenes look at what they make it out of...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    When I was 8 I started up a Fresh Egg delivery route with my radio flyer wagon. Every week mom would take me to a chicken farm, and I would purchase the eggs, then deliver them that day to the trailers in my trailer court.

By the time I quit, I was delivering 140 dozen eggs a week.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Postman's assistant (at 14) for me.

Geno

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker

OMG I can't believe you just went there LMAO =0)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

I did the paper route thing as a youngster. My first *office* job was in 8th grade, cold-calling new home owners for a local insurance agency. Ahhhhh, those were the days.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast