Red face Affiliate Sent 40K Clicks in One Day - HOW?
    Hi - I have an affiliate (yes, still an affiliate) who sent 40K clicks in one day. I emailed him and he claims to not know where the source of this traffic came from. Additionally he said he contacted the network and they told him it was from a search engine bot. Ummm.....I don't think so.

As a result our site stats fell into the basement (i.e., EPC) - right when we were at a network conference. Ugh.

How can I investigate this? This is the first time I've run into this issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paula
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

ABW Ambassador
    "Additionally he said he contacted the network and they told him it was from a search engine bot. Ummm.....I don't think so."

"How can I investigate this?"

Ask the network too to see if his story is correct or not. It could be bots, it could be adware or something.

Look for traffic exchanges too. I've seen 7-8K but never saw 40K.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

If it is a bot the network shouldn't have counted those clicks. In which case you might be able to get them removed.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks for the information! I have contacted the network; hopefully I can get them removed.

Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    On rare occasion, I've had bots that the network didn't recognize (and therefore counted) go through my aff sites and result in thousands of clicks. I'm glad no merchant went and deactivated me because of the network's failure to know that referrer "blahblah" really is a bot!

I am a log file hound, though, so I was able to respond with certainty. Some hosting packages, however, only provide limited stats which are of little or even no value when it comes to things like this. The raw logs will make a bot obvious even when it spoofs its referral data...after all, what human looks at LOADS of pages at the rate of 2 per second or similar behavior?

Due to that, I wouldn't axe someone for a fluke occurance of massive, nonconverting traffic. If it went on day after day after day, then maybe...

Your own (merchant site) log file should still have the IP of the visitor(s) and the timing of those hits to your site. A reverse-DNS check on that IP may reveal something like a still-unknown wannabe SE startup, or some SE in China (they often misbehave). And if the hits came in too fast for a human to have made them, it's probably because a human didn't! Note that some bots will change their IPs during a run (usually within a small range), so if they all look different at first glance, make sure they're *really* different--all digits different, not just the last few, real people live all over the place--before assuming there are humans behind the clicks.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I remember a merchant that I was working with at Kolimbo way back in the day... I didn't know much about links or aff marketing at the time, so I had used Kolimbo's store builder tool, then essentially copied the HTML (rather than the javascript) that it produced into a page. That broke the bot tracking big time, and I was showing huge clicks that were really all spiders.

So it could just be that someone messed with the tracking code a bit. I know better now, but I didn't then
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

In my affiliate role, I usually see hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of 'bot clicks reported through the SAS interface, when I launch direct-to-merchant PPC campaigns through Google AdWords, as the Google AdWords bot checks each link URL to verify that it works and to compute quality score. While these clicks should not be counted, my experience is that they often are, although I believe they sometimes are removed from reporting in subsequent periods.

As suggested, go ahead and ask the network (ask the affiliate who they spoke with, since you rarely get the same answer from 2 different people at most networks).

Can't you check your own logs to see if there's any referring-URL or browser data? That should really resolve the issue very quickly. Also, check to see how the visitors from this affiliate's links are different from your regular site visitors (e.g. did they request images from the pages, did they have an average pageview count higher than 1.01, etc.).

The sheer number of clicks you've mentioned is certainly unusual, and my "gut feeling" is that the most likely scenario is the purchase of traffic from one of the "50,000 hits for $20" sites.

But I've had the experience (several times) of having poorly-coded "rogue" bots repeatedly crawl my site -- dozens and dozens of times in a single day, usually following every internal and external link over and over again. Therefore, while you are right to be concerned, don't jump to conclusions unless the record is very clear.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I once got a ton of traffic on one item and it was converting too. At an amazing rate. I was figuring about a 40% conversion rate.

The AM thought I might be faking it somehow, I told them I wasnt. I looked around for links, forum postings or whatever. Couldnt find anything. They didnt have the technology to track where the traffic was coming from.

To this day I still dont know how I was getting this rate.

The interent is strange sometimes.

I imagine you are seeing some temporary fluke.

An interesting follow-up: I just checked "Today's Stats" at ShareASale and found that I'm credited with 5,608 clicks today for one merchant (pushing 4 sales), even though AdWords reports sending only about 470 clicks (so far) today (and this is a merchant I'm promoting exclusively through AdWords). I normally see a 1% conversion rate for this merchant (and 4 out of 470 is close to that), so I'm pretty confident that the 5,000 extra clicks were from a rogue bot. This isn't a new or recently-updated PPC campaign, so I doubt this was the google adbot.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread