Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    Need inspiration to follow your passion?
    Today is my son Daniel's birthday. He would have been 27 today. Over the past 6 years I try every year to get through his birthday without anguish. For those that don't know, he died in a car accident in 2002. On Mother's Day.

Why post today? Why not just hide away like I planned? Because his story is one of passion and ambition and brilliance. And unlike so many other people, he *did* what he was passionate about. He didn't talk about doing things, he did them. And he had obstacles, oh did he have obstacles. He didn't finish high school because he had panic attacks. And he went on to attend Hofstra University and got into the highly competitive NYU Dramatic Writering program. I lived with him at NYU in the dorm for a year (well, it was almost a year) because he went there right before 9/11. When the buildings came down, they weren't concerned with finding a health aide for a 20 year old in a wheelchair, they had bigger issues to deal with. But that's another story for another day.

He wrote his first complete novel when he was 10. It blew me away. It is no longer around, the files got corrupted on the computers it was on, the hard copy is no where to be found. It wasn't meant to be his legacy.

I want to share some of the things he wrote, they are movie scripts, so they are not easy to read if you aren't used to the format. And he had a bizarre sense of reality, so if you dare to read them be prepared, they are definitely not mainstream material. No happy endings...

Passion... when you think about how hard it is to do what you love... think of Daniel and how he managed to do what he loved, and know that he was poised for greatness when the universe claimed him back. He followed his passion... to the day he died. He had a movie in independent pre-production, he had an internship with the Emmys, he was ready to fly.

If you dare, here are his scripts, both movies and plays:

The Movies

Slay the Demons - When a random act of violence forces Brent Fischer to relive the traumas of his past, he’s forced to finally face down his demons or let them destroy him forever.

Age of Experience - An exploration of the difference between age and maturity seen through the eyes of two male prostitutes and a disabled college student. It’ll suck the funny right out of the room. And then you’ll get to the climax.

kiuljuk - An online plea from an old college friend fills Greg Mitchell with confusion. Because what happens online isn’t real life. That is, until it is.

kilran - Death in a funny suit

These are Daniel's short plays. He has one or two full legnth that I may post another time.

Ask Why
    Erin
    Nobody Dies Originally titled "Gotta Pee" this one won a writing competition at a junior college, and he wasn't *in* the writing program there, and all the teachers and writers wondered W(who)TF this was.
    Rational Irrational Produced by NYU, part of a short play competition.
    Vator

Enjoy, or better yet, follow his lead and go do what *you* are passionate about and don't make excuses why you can't.

Page with more info on Daniel, in his own words

http and a telephoto

Dan with Wendy Rich and Bob Guza, executive producer and header writer respectively, of the TV show General Hospital.

Thanks for the post loxly, my thoughts are with you today.

It can be difficult to get to do what you are passionate about. Thanks for the inspiration this morning.

Wow, what an inspirational piece. Thank you for sharing this portion of your life.

We'll be with you today in our thoughts and prayers.

Bill & Nancy
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing yet another piece of you, Deb. I can imagine where much of Daniel's passion and creativity came from - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know.

How wonderfully inspirational this post is for me and I'm sure, many others. Please know you will both be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    You are in my daily prayers today!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Beautiful written Deb. You did a great job honoring his memory. Our thoughts are with you.
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

http and a telephoto
    A wise man told me in May, "just keep thinking of the future". And today he said "go forward, go forward". I am going forward and not dwelling on the past, but the past has some issues I need to deal with now and then. And Dan's accomplishments going unnoticed are one of the things that bother me now and then.

Daniel was also a huge positive influence on people that knew him. He made a huge impact on a community of script writers, Project Greenlight. Most people only know that now because of the tv show, but it started as a community, a forum, where a young man named dfogg had a huge influence and following. He met his girlfriend there, he made friends that were his business partners, he inspired other people to write and attempt to market their writing, when they were too shy or lacked confidence to do so. Sound familiar?

He stirred controversy, went to live events - in LA, and believe me flying cross country was not easy on us. Especially the trip that all three of us went. Neither Dan or Chris could sit in an airplane seat comfortably, and airlines don't really know what to do with 300 pound wheelchairs. I sat between them, taking turns letting them lean on me or holding them up. But I digress....

He started on a message board and made people do what they were afraid to do. He inspired people. So maybe that is why I am so pushy about inspiring people myself.

And he *is* the reason I repeat "life is too short". His life was too short. He is the reason I pressure some people to get out of their comfort zones and do certain things.

Follow your passion, follow your heart.

Luv ya Lox.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Deb,

I don't know you, but I have a son (who also has anxiety issues, and is a gifted 10 year old writer). I know the intensity of a mother's love for her son, and am touched by your loving words. You cradle your darling boy in your heart, and I am sure that he knows this.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you today.

Be well, Deb. And Happy Birthday, Daniel.

Thinking of you as ever Momma Lox

Loxly, my thoughts are with you today. It was very inspirational what you wrote. Thanks!
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

his accomplishments say as much about your hard work and mentoring as it does his dedication and failure to accept ...no

sending a Big Hug for you

This story gave me goose bumps. God bless you and your son. I am very sorry to hear for your loss. As a mother, I couldn't imagine. My thoughts are with you.

http and a telephoto
    Thank you everyone. I was afraid to post, but his work deserves recognition, and as I said... if it inspires even one person to follow their passion then it is worth the time, and yes the energy, it took to post.

People that I needed to be around today reached out to me, knowing not what today was, but just knowing I needed to hear from them. And I had a nice dinner with friends instead of sitting here alone as I planned to.

Now to figure out how to get Dan's story out to more people so that even more can be inspired by him. But that is another project for another day.

to all, and to all, good night.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Loxly,

In the 9 months that i've been a member of ABestWeb I've read many of your personal posts, and have at times been extremely saddened, but always moved and motivated by your strength and spirit, your continual looking to move ahead, while bringing along as many others as you can, some kicking and screaming, on your journey towards success and happiness, through your own work and in honoring and publicizing your son's work.

As the father of one child, I cannot imagine what you have gone through, but I can comprehend a share of the anguish, as my daughter at a young age suffered through serious health problems, and was then left disabled from a near fatal motor vehicle accident 7 years ago. She too is an extremely talented and creative person, and has overcome much to reach and surpass "unreachable" goals.

As you continue following your passion, you have amassed the largest and most loyal group of admirers and true friends imaginable, as evidenced by the outpouring of love and respect seen here.

I know this will continue and grow for as long as Sen. Stevens' tubes transmit words and images to net users around the world.

-Phil
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Beautiful way to honor Dan on his birthday Deb.

Glad YOU had a good day and evening! Celebrate love - you have an ocean full in your heart and the very best angels watching over you.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Deb,

You and Dan will be in my prayers. When someone so young passes, I try to think of a saying that I heard.......

Some roads home are shorter than others......but they all lead home.

God Bless,
    bettylou

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    And he *is* the reason I repeat "life is too short". His life was too short. He is the reason I pressure some people to get out of their comfort zones and do certain things.
    I have chills running through my body after reading this thread. It certainly opens your eyes and your heart when you read about such amazing individuals that make an impact on others in such a short time frame. Obviously he was a special gentleman.

Thanks for sharing this Deb, it helps the soul to read and think about situations such as this. it also helps open your eyes to not take life for granted. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Carpe Diem is my favorite saying. it is easy to say you are going to sieze the day, but it takes a special person to actually make it happen.

Take Care,

Brent

http and a telephoto
    Never take life or people for granted.

Thank you Brent, I like to know that sometimes what I write has the impact that was intended.

I may have some other ways to share Dan's writing soon.
    Last edited by loxly; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Well I know I speak for everyone here, you have the full support of the community. Whatever you need, just let it be known. I'd be happy to help support this cause.

Brent

Your in my prayers
    Thats a very inspirational story thanks for sharing that with us.

Never take life or people for granted.

Thank you Brent, I like to know that sometimes what I write has the impact that was intended.

Deb, every time I see your sig with Daniel's quote I'm inspired. I keep reminding myself I need a little more "stubbornness to follow through".
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Deb, every time I see your sig with Daniel's quote I'm inspired. I keep reminding myself I need a little more "stubbornness to follow through".
    Thanks, I am glad people are reading it

Brent, I am considering ebook versions on places like FreeIQ, a collection of his short plays self published in hard copy, and ways to get the plays at least into the hands of schools and theater groups. My hope has always been to produce one of the movies, but that dream is fading. The money to do that would be way more than I have access to generate.

I also have considering converting the movies to novels. Dan wrote scripts, I am capable of writing fiction, but there aren't enough hours in the day to do what you need to do to make the money to be able to do what you know in your heart you should be doing. I don't want to say I wrote them with him, but I was there during the creation process, especially of Slay the Demons, and I know the "back stories" and the addition material that would make the script a novel.

Someday. I just hate that his work is still unnoticed. I promised it wouldn't be forgotten.

“People have ideas all the time, ambition is just the stubbornness to follow through.” - Daniel Fogg , 2001

Thank you for sharing this with us. This thread has inspired and touched me like nothing else has this year. Maybe it is just the kick I need to get out of the deep hole I have placed myself in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast