Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Low to No Carb Meals
    My wife and I have switched to a no/low carb diet. No more pasta and potatoes. If we do eat a carb, it's first thing in the morning so it gets burned off before bedtime.

Since I am the one at home, I usually do the cooking. So, I am on the lookout for good low/no carb meals that will work with us and the kids.

If you find yourself Jonsing for a sandwich, check out Ezekiel 4:19 breads... Usually they come frozen at my grocer...

Very complex carb bread (no sugar, high fibre etc), and I know for a fact it helped me drop 10 pounds...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    There is an interesting diet called the Maker's Diet. My older son and his wife tried it. In fact he is still following it. He is a big kid who works out all the time. But he went from around 250 down to around 220 and swears by it.

We did the low carb deal a few years ago and you will certainly drop the pounds.

Now I have found that eliminating fried foods, being smart with other food choices and getting a little exercise works the best of all.

Good luck with the diet.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Thanks, Were actually not calling it a diet, more of a change in eating habits.

Listen, I am not trying to be a party pooper but if you must do this, at least keep healthy carbs in ( veges, fruits, etc). Otherwise, any weight you lose will come back triplefold when you join the rest of the carb eating world. Also, you can switch to whole grain breads and pastas that are full of fiber and will help you lose weight, even though they have carbs.

The BEST book to follow is YOU on a Diet. Ask Haiko. Cutting out processed foods as much as possible, and exercising like a maniac is the only way to go. That way you can still eat some junk once in awhile and get ( or stay) healthy without feeling like you are being deprived of what you enjoy eating. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Listen, I am not trying to be a party pooper but if you must do this, at least keep healthy carbs in ( veges, fruits, etc). Otherwise, any weight you lose will come back triplefold when you join the rest of the carb eating world. Also, you can switch to whole grain breads and pastas that are full of fiber and will help you lose weight, even though they have carbs.

The BEST book to follow is YOU on a Diet. Ask Haiko. Cutting out processed foods as much as possible, and exercising like a maniac is the only way to go. That way you can still eat some junk once in awhile and get ( or stay) healthy without feeling like you are being deprived of what you enjoy eating. :0)
    Yes, we eat veggies and fruits. Just staying away from the starches.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Thanks, Were actually not calling it a diet, more of a change in eating habits.
    I like that idea. Part of sticking to it is a mind-set. Just don't cut out all the carbs - Like Anne said, do keep in the healthy ones. And, as Noth, suggested, the whole grain/complex carb breads are good for your system.

We did the South Beach thing about three years ago. And, it did work, we both lost about 15 pounds in 2 months. Did we keep it off? Unfortunately not.

Now-a-days, Mrs. Beachy comes home with some of the weirdest kinds of breads (weird at least when reading the names or descriptions). And, for the most part, they are quite delicious - much better tasting than the plain-ol' white bread.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I'm on Weight Watchers and have kind of moved in the direction of cutting out the carbs just because they take up so many of my points. Here are some of our favorite meals that keep me in check and get reused a lot week after week:

1) Stir fry. Lean chicken breast, lots of veggies. Pineapple on the side.
    2) Chicken soft tacos made with wheat tortillas. Low fat cheese and sour cream, salsa, black beans. Peaches or fruit salad on the side.
    3) Chili. Thrown in the crock pot for the day. Lean beef. Lots of diced tomatoes. Kidney beans in moderation. Fruit cole slaw on the side.
    4) Mexican salad. I actually take the leftovers from chicken soft taco night and turn it into a big salad the next night (without the tortillas). My husband loves his carbs, so I throw some of those baked tostitos in his.

I've also learned to take a small amount of carbs and turn them into a bigger side dish. For example, chunks of one potato tossed in with red peppers, green beans, etc. and grilled. It feels like you are eating a lot of carbs but really you are filling up on veggies but getting the taste of carbs to curb your cravings.

<sigh> Unfortunately, I could write a book about this stuff because I spend hours each week planning the meals down to the point.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread