Dilemma: Your input requested
    Here's my dilemma. A merchant has just cancelled their Dynamic PSC service for reasons I cannot disclose. It was actually performing quite well with affiliates driving nice revenue. That's the cause of my dilemma. If I simply turn off the serving module, all the links on affiliate sites go dead instantly. The actual Dynamic PSC interface has been deactivated so no new showcases can be created, however showcases that were previously created I've let continue serve until I choose one of these options:

1) Turn the serving module for that merchant's dpsc off thus killing product showcases on the affiliates sites for this merchant.

2) Notify the affiliates of the service termination and give them x days before it's turned off.

3) Notify affiliates and automatically re-route traffic to another merchant and that they should join that merchant in order to receive commission (this may be the best option as many affiliates created pages and don't necessarily know which page has what on it.)

4) Ask the affiliates currently using it if they want to foot the bill by chipping in to keep the Dynamic PSC for that merchant going.

5) Be a nice guy and keep the whole thing going and eat the cost.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks!
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

5! Seriously, number 2 sounds fair to affiliates.

I thought you had a 30-day termination notice for both parties (merchant and you). That would have provided enough time to change links.

Also, if the merchant stopped providing you with their feed, the showcases will soon be outdated, so that's another reason for number 2.

I agree #2 seems to be the best option. #4 could be a possible option but I'm not sure that I want to pay to support a merchant that seemingly cares so little about their affiliates that they didn't provide some type of advance notice.

I'm really surprised that the merchant hasn't notified their affiliates of the termination, this would seem to be their responsibility not yours, but I appreciate you taking the high road in not wanting to leave affiliates high and dry.

Why not make an announcement here also so that we can start replacing our feeds?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    2) It happens.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    There's no reason for you to foot the bill, although it's nice that it occurred to you.

I'd do #2 but remind the affiliates that they can easily convert a dynamic PSC into a static one so that when you "turn the power off" they'll at least have a static version rather than blank space.

I agree with #2. Obviously you're a generous guy for #5 to even occur to you (and more caring about the affiliates than the merchant), but you have a business to run and I wouldn't expect you to continue to provide a service for free when you had previously been paid for it by the merchant. Think of it this way... If you were a web designer designing creatives for a merchant, if they decided to stop paying you, you wouldn't continue to make creatives for the affiliates to use, would you? Probably not.

Anyway, good luck with whatever solution you choose!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Probably number 2. And, don't tell me, this isn't a famous sports affiliate program of yours that I finally built a bunch of pages with using the dynamic PSC, is it??
    Generate more fake news.

At the very least, you should announce which client(s) have discontinued PSC service so that affiliates who are using it will have a clue in the mean time.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    We wouldn't keep a merchant's links up if they cancel their affiliate program, so #2 sounds fair enough, especially if it's 30 days time since people will be busy now with holiday updates. I do think it would be an honorable thing to do on their part to let their affiliates know it's no longer available.

remind the affiliates that they can easily convert a dynamic PSC into a static one
    Ooooo... How?!? Tell me more, I had no idea that could be done.

2) Notify the affiliates of the service termination and give them x days before it's turned off.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I vote for # 2 also.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Here's how to convert a dynamic PSC into a static page.

View the page containing the dynamic PSC online or in the preview pane of your HTML editor.

Highlight the table that contains the products generated by the PSC.

Paste that into your HTML editor. Now it's a static copy of the data generated by the PSC.

Delete the PSC code and replace it with the static copy.

There ya go!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    I thought you had a 30-day termination notice for both parties (merchant and you). That would have provided enough time to change links.
    Yes, I do. However I've only had a handful of clients that have cancelled their Dynamic PSC over the last three years and those were because they were dud-merchants and didn't know squat about affiliate marketing. Their DPSC's had little usage. Thus this is the first major-use client that has canceled their service.

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Why not make an announcement here also so that we can start replacing our feeds?
    I will. Just need to clear the wording with my legal eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I'd do #2 but remind the affiliates that they can easily convert a dynamic PSC into a static one so that when you "turn the power off" they'll at least have a static version rather than blank space.
    Theoretically I could do that but as per the agreement merchants sign with my company, the product data belongs to them and I cannot suggest to affiliates ways to manipulate it. If affiliates manipulate, so be it but I cannot tell affiliates how to display a merchants data outside of my agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Probably number 2. And, don't tell me, this isn't a famous sports affiliate program of yours that I finally built a bunch of pages with using the dynamic PSC, is it??
    Nope it's not

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    At the very least, you should announce which client(s) have discontinued PSC service so that affiliates who are using it will have a clue in the mean time.
    Fortunately it is very rare for companies to cancel their service. In the event they do, affiliates are notified by email if they are signed up for the PSC Notification List at http://psc.afftools.com/directory.html

Option 2, but I'd look into similiar or compliment niche markets where you can redirect links (with your affiliates approval). If you have good affiliates, then you don't have so much recruiting to do.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread