I recently created a page which promots several merchants for a product ... the main two merchants are: a cj merchant with a great site and a good variety of products and an independant merchant with their own affiliate program and only one product. It turns out that the cj merchant has an earning per click of half the independant merchant, despite the fact that the cj merchant has a better site, more variety etc. I am thinking that this is partly because the independant merchant has a higher commission, but also is unlikely to suffer from commission theft. What do you think?

ABW Ambassador
    I think you're on to something ... and I think you should look for more ways to feature the independent merchant. Hey, business is business!

I think more of us should be scouting out independent merchants to add to our mix.

Few of us can afford the cash hit to completely drop our parasite-tolerating merchants or networks overnight (as Wayne Porter would suggest), but we CAN make them a smaller part of our mix, and we CAN focus future promotional energies on more principled partners.

FWIW, so far in September my single highest earning merchant is one of the independents I promote. A parasite-free, network-free independent merchant.

We could make this a pattern ...

ABW Ambassador
    Thats what i'm doing. I was looking for jewelry for pets and came along a good site who runs their affiliate program thru Clixgalore, anybody ever use them? Theres all kinds of merchants out there parasite free. I've found some just typing "affiliate programs" in Google. Found some good ones at bizrate.com(an affiliate too) Found some good independent ones. I also found some just typing in a category you're thinking of making a page for. Example "consumer electronics" some good merchants there. There are some good ones out there, just takes a little looking.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

ABW Ambassador
    What Elisabeth said.

And my top single merchant (every month, I do believe) is an independent. I have two or three others in my top-ten for the year.

Frankly, I prefer the convenience of the networks. But there does come a day when convenience isn't everything it's cracked up to be. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

it's good to have a diversified portfolio [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] My top single merchant is an independent.

{

Every challenge is a potential act of power. ~ eaglefire

My top 3 performers are all independant, thank goodness. My income from CJ and reporting.net is hardly worth the time to look up the stats once a month. At least that protects the majority of my revenue (at the moment) from scumware.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

This is one of the more delightful aspects of eccommerce. The big greedy dinosaurs have a meteor headed their way.

I

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You guys know I'm an advocate for affiliates seeking honest/converting merchants to promote for those webmasters who have limited traffic to spare on loosers. This applies to network and independent merchants alike. Independents in the past were mainly "info-mercial" type peddlers but that too has changed.

I think niche' product merchants would do very well running an independent program that can be completely parasite free. They first and foremost must have a site and product line that converts better than 1 sale per every 75 click throughs to even be considered. They have to have $10-25.00 minimums and payout monthly like clockwork. They must be willingg to enhance the commission rate for their top producters and treat all like sales partners.

Most Niche' product merchants get buried under 1500 choices at places like CJ or Performics & Share-a-Sale. A product merchant on the 2nd-3rd tier networks suffer from be associated with all the CPC and Lead loosers who jump on a 50.00 setup cost. I'm a serious affiliate and I get turned off when viewingg the so called merchants on these network services. I leave before I can find a jewel in the trash pile.

Here's one which requires a no brain work and converts for 3 years at an average of 1 sale/20clicks www.suspenders.com/affiliate.htm

WebMaster Mike

Our top three performers are independents, too. We try to develop a good rapport with them, stay in contact, etc. so that they know who we are and respond when needed. There is always the issue of possible non-payment because they are small, but so far, so good, and since we are diversified enough, if one stiffs us, it won't kill us. They appreciate what we send because they ARE small.

---Hershey

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Alright, darnit, where are these great independents hiding out??!

A few times, I've looked around for indy programs (granted, it was when I couldn't find one in the category I wanted at CJ)--and always come up with either loser sites or nothing at all.

Typing "[category] affiliate program" into Google usually yields me some listings but they are either network merchants or so Not Ready for Prime Time that no network would touch it.

Obviously they are out there but how to find them?

All I ever find is junk. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABW Ambassador
    Ditto!
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    bizrate.com that's where i find a lot. They are an affiliate too, but they have links to a lot of independents plus customer satisfaction reports on the merchants. Some have affiliate programs and some do not.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Obviously they are out there but how to find them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope its ok to promote here - Navitech is a small retailer in a very niche market – and we offer an affiliate program.

Navitech is a supplier of Point of Sale and Bar Coding products from a variety of leading manufacturers. The products we carry include bar code scanners, receipt printers, touch screen terminals/monitors, and complete point of sale systems.

Here is a brief overview

• Volume based tiered commission [/B]
    $.01- $9,999 = 3%
    $10,000-$24,999 = 4%
    $25,000 + = 5%

•Lifetime Commissions (once you refer a customer to us, you continue to earn commissions each time they order with Navitech thereafter)

•Cookies 9,999 days (ok, it probably a bit much, but we want you to earn the credit on referring customers)

•2 Tier Program (if you are interested in telling others – you can earn an addition 1% of their referring commissions)

We offer text links, banners, and some full page creatives. I will admit our creative options are not as robust as those like TigerDirect – but we certainly are working towards greater options in the future.

To learn more please visit web page or feel free to contact me.

Catherine Basso
    Affiliate Program Manager
    cbasso@navitech.com
    http://www.navitech.com/partners/
    317-596-9747 ext. 344

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Alright, darnit, where are these great independents hiding out??! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's a bit tricky finding them. But, once we do find the good ones we should be inviting them here. I'm sure there's lots of us at ABW looking for them.

Another thing I've been considering is contacting some of our link exchange partners and telling them about all the marketers here and to check out Kowabunga. I've noticed some hefty traffic coming from some sites I've done link swaps with. For example, a small site that sells redwood tables with a Google rating of "none" has send me over 400 visitors this month. It make me think that these niche sites would add a lot of unique products to the holiday mix.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Yes, I think they are hard to find ... in a lot of categories they simply don't exist. The reality is that most companies still don't even know what affiliate programs are, let alone know how to creat a good one. I'm starting to set up some relationships with companies that don't have affiliate programs, but are just going to pay me per sale, with a unique tracking URL. Not sure if this is a good idea ... it's based completely on trust, but if they don't perform I can always replace them with another affiliate program.

Top affiliate made $169,300 in one month. Find out how much affiliates are making at http://www.profitpuppy.com/top-affiliates.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catherine - Navitech.com:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Obviously they are out there but how to find them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To learn more please visit http://wwww.navitech.com/partners or feel free to contact me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Catherine, I can't get in using this link to research your program. Is there any other way in?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Few of us can afford the cash hit to completely drop our parasite-tolerating merchants or networks overnight (as Wayne Porter would suggest), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I have always suggested affiliates need to look out for what is best for their unique situation in terms of revenue booked.

Tracking technology is becoming a commodity.

Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

navitech - I clicked on your "partner program" link and got this:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are not authorized to view this page <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason I think inhouse programs are better is we are not limited on our payout as we would be by going to a network.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread