Walmart, Please Give Me a Break
    The least they could do since they cut their commissions by 100% is increase the cookie duration from 3 days to 14 days. I have a race going on between commissionable (is that a word ) sales and non-commissionable sales and it's starting to really tick me off.

Some of the products are fairly new to my site so the chance are that even a 7 day cookie probably would of cut the non-commissionable sales by more than half. Unfortunately they have what I need so I don't have a choice right now. Come on Walmart give us all a break here and give us our sales that we deserve

ABW Ambassador
    why do you think wal-mart would cut anyone a break? you're still promoting them....

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know how Linkshare allows these sort of merchants to get by ..
    There are some out there, with 0.28 days cookie duration. And I was seeing more non-commissionable than commissioned sales with these merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    why do you think wal-mart would cut anyone a break? you're still promoting them....
    I don't really have a choice Aunt Lilly I would love to pull all my links and send a msg to them but they are the only ones that have some of the products that my visitors are searching for. Another case is that they have (did have, out of stock now ) a few products that were over $100.00 cheaper than I found with my other merchants. I was kind of hoping that they would run out of the stuff so I could use another merchant that has it and pays 10 - 12% commissions. Unfortunately they ran out also. I have a hard time telling my visitors to go someplace that will cost them 100.00 bucks more although the temptation is there when I take a look at the non-commishes

Redtagdeals, I feel your pain and frustration. Most of my time it seems is trying to find a merchant to replace the ones that do this kind of stuff to us affiliates.

Pitiful Last month was bad enough with close to 30% of the sales amt being Non-commissionable because of their 3 day cookie. This month it's over 50% so far not being credited because of their 3 day cookie duration Obviously it's time for a change now

My bad math. Couldn't edit above. Actually it should read over 30 % this month.

Not as bad as me.. 42% of my sales volume was commissionable and 58% was non-commish.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Not as bad as me.. 42% of my sales volume was commissionable and 58% was non-commish.

- Scott
    That's terrible Scott. What I really need to do is to just stay away from that report I would love to see what difference a 7 day cookie would make. On a good note sales have pretty much stopped including non-commissionable with all the links I pulled. On a bad note I have to find someone who converts now to replace them

Oh, I didn't know that report existed... Bummer... 49% of my sales were non-commissioned. Now, I have pretty low volume with Walmart right now... But if I see them cutting into my profits over XMas they are out-of-here...

I did notice that I sort by price but not a secondary sort by merchant name. I need to put Walmart where they belong alphabetically even if they have the same price as other stores. Amazon, Best Buy, Buy.com, Circuit City, .... Walmart...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    If you are really rocking with one product, why not try forming a direct relationship with the manufacturer or try to get a drop shipper to carry the item?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The least they could do since they cut their commissions by 100%
    Can I assume those daily "WalMart has changed it's SKUs" email that I just delete are nothing but bad news???

Yintercept, thanks for the post

Unfortunately I was really close to going from an affiliate to a merchant but two years ago I hit rock bottom like many others when the SE's changed. I went from a high of close to $70,000 to 40,000 the next year and the last couple of years have been lets just say pitiful but a little hope in sight.

There is one that I have found and he can't be trusted. I was an affiliate of his and it took 6 months to get paid and after words we went our own ways. I also contacted the manufacturer and the start up costs just to get the products is about 50 grand just for the products not counting the cost of hiring a webmaster to put the site together. I suppose I could take a shot at trying to find a wholesale company and maybe do some ebay selling but right now all 3 kids are in college so the timing for taking chances isn't right for me. Down the road that is the plan I'm dreaming about though. Thanks

FWIW - Close to 50% non-commissionable sales as of today with the right math

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Can I assume those daily "WalMart has changed it's SKUs" email that I just delete are nothing but bad news???
    I went to take a look but there are so many of them to go through I just said "Nah, nevermind" it isn't worth looking through.

ABW Ambassador
    You are right in noting that the fluctuations in sales from SEO efforts make direct investments in product untenable.

If affiliate marketers want the industry to survive, we need to find ways to divert market share from the monopolists to small merchants or directly from manufacturers.

Wow Y.... I just wrote about that on my blog today....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Good grief. Thanks for this thread. I've been so wrapped up in maintaining our site and creating a new one that I have horribly neglected keeping an eye on our commissions per merchant. Walmart shows almost double as many non-commish sales for me as it does for commissionable sales. And the commissions that I did get in the past year amount to what I make in a day or two with my high performers.

Bye, Walmart. Don't let the door hit you in the pitiful cookie. Glad I saw this early in Q4 rather than later.

-Sharon

Hey Guys

All this beef about poor Wal-mart. Why doesn't some get the ball rolling a set up a date to stop promoting walmart for 7-30 days, this might make them re-look there program and affiliates aren't earnign it wont be a big deal them.

I would join this sort of campaign but I dumped them long ago.

I'm sure many affiliates have been phasing them out since they lowered the commission. I have been slowly pulling links but after the last 4 days of close to 1900.00 in non-commissionable sales I'm pulling the links a little faster. I'm just a Little guy, I can't imagine the amt the big affiliates are losing to the cookie. I'm looking for a good replacement now.

Put Adsense blocks above the fold and Walmart links below. Problem solved. Maybe toss a 728x300 free horoscope lead offer in between to push Walmart even further down.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I just devalued or removed Walmart for all the 1% commission items. I think Walmart needs to get a clue.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    I just devalued or removed Walmart for all the 1% commission items. I think Walmart needs to get a clue.
    What??? You have a problem getting 99 cents on a $99.00 order

David, I do have adsense on the pages but the clicks don't pay much. They average about 7 cents a click. Walmart is just one of the merchants that is used on that site and most of the other merchants pay 8 - 10%. You bring up a good idea though because on time shipping is going to start to play a factor in the next few days so it's a good idea to move adsense up to the top in a few days. Thanks

FWIW - in fairness to Walmart I really can't blame them for what's going on because I went into them with open eyes. I knew the cookie duration and the commission rates when I started putting them on the pages. I just never thought the results would be what they are. That said if I were Walmart I would think about raising the cookie duration to 7 days and commissions for the Holidays and hope to get some of the Toys-R-Us traffic from affiliates before they start replacing links. JMO of course.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread