Would this be helpful?
    Hi All,
    My company, Triggit, is just finishing the building of a tool that enables a publisher to make changes to their site without having to edit the source code. Looking at the site in your browser you can point and click to add things like pictures, videos widgets and ads.

We are curious how helpful this would be as an ad placement tool. For instance on of the things we built is an interface into the the CJ api that lets you quickly search through their database for an ad and then just drag it into a spot on your site WYSIWYG. You don't need to use embed codes any more. Would this be helpful? How about as an in-text tool? Highlight a word on your site and with a click you could make it your affiliate link to amazon, cj, or whatever.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Zach

Hi Zach, sounds pretty cool, is this going to be a browser plugin? Will it work with IE and Firefox or just IE?

http and a telephoto
    How can you edit my site online without access to my code?

No I don't like the idea that something in a browser can allow access to the way my site looks and functions.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

to think that the way one browser views a site is the best way for the site / page to be displayed would be short sited..imho.

personally i depend on seeing the code to much....will this edit css too?

no html
    Sounds interesting.. However, will it make it easy for anyone to edit your page? (hackers or haters)

I don't know anything about his software but if the program is installed on your own computer, I would think it would require the same authentication to use a script like this as it would to use an FTP program to connect and edit your files manually. If it doesn't offer that level of security, it wouldn't be much good.

Brian

It doesn't sound like a desktop application but rather a web based one. It would have access to your web pages because it's situated on the same server. I would assume you use this tool to build the website in the first place as well - but if it can edit existing pages not within that CMS that seems like a pretty cool feature. I love the idea of it utilising CJ APIs and alike. It's similar to popshops but on your own system. Sounds neat!

Sounds too much like your new software will increase the risk of other people altering my webpages
    Changing your website via your html code is not exactly the most tasking chore in the world
    Perhaps i have misunderstood what your software is meant to do?
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

What on earth gives you the impression that this tool would allow any old person to change your pages? One would assume it would be password protected like any other content management system.

Re: Triggit
    Sorry I am so late getting back to this thread. Things are getting busy over here.

The tool is completely password protected. The way it works is that you add a line of javascript to your site. Once that's there you open up and login to a little tool bar web app that sits on the top of your site. Using the tool bar you can make changes to the site WYSIWYG with out having to edit the source code.

The magic is all done by the javascript. Your welcome to try it out in its current version (very alpha) that lets you drag and drop pictures and video's into the page. Go to Triggit.com and use the invite code: simple

I'd love to know what you think.

Zach

I am generally for anything that facilitates easier web site development, and am certainly not trying to rain on your parade, but there are many WYSIWG tools on the market, including purely web based ones. What are the key points where you differentiate yourself? I ask only in the interest of honing in on your target market. Since it is Javascript based, probably manipulating content via the DOM? If so then this would suggest it is a static content editor only? If so I think there is a lot of competition in this space and adding the option to edit pages on line is nice in conception but adds risk in practice. If you're offering allows editing/creation of dynamic php or asp.net pages then you may have a competitive advantage compared to other online editors, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Does your script support file based authentication where only the user who has file based edit permissions is able to edit? Given the fact it is purely javascript based I'd guess the answer is no? if not, how does authentication occur? where is the username/password pair stored? does it support https? If the answer to these questions all tend to the secure side of things then maybe you have a solution people might embrace, if not, I'd suggest you look very closely at what you are offering so you don't needlessly expose good people/business to undue risk.

Chris

Triggit
    Chris,
    Thanks for the feedback. The authentication issue is one that we spent a long time addressing and we feel very confident that only the user who has write privileges to a file is able to edit it using our editor.

The key step we are taking though is that we don't actually make the changes to the page's source code. Instead what we did was create a GUI that records the changes you want to make to the site and stores them on our server. Then when the page is loaded the line of javascript you emebed in your page calls us and we serve those changes to the client in a way that causes the site to reflect the changes that were made using the GUI.

The advantages to doing it this way is that we can create highly specialized tools that can interact with a website created using any publishing platform. For instance, using a dynamic interface for the CJ API you can easily search their inventory and drop an ad into your site in a couple of seconds vs the status quo of searching the CJ site, grabbing the embed code, going to your publishing tool, pasting the code and then publishing your site. Its a new way to do things. I was hoping some people here might have some ideas about how this would be helpful to them.

Zach

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread